Can money buy happiness?

Discussion in 'Contests' started by Vishal P. Rao, Sep 19, 2007.

1. driverds

driverds New Member

Money can't buy happiness, but you can drive round in luxury looking for it ;)

2. PeterMFL

PeterMFL Active Member

Many people say Money can't buy happiness.... But I strongly believe it can!
    If you are driving around in luxury cars, staying at luxury apartments and partying like a Rockstar I'm pretty sure you will be happier than the average person working his daily boring job just to get by...

3. A8ch

A8ch Gold Member

That's not necessarily true.

Your depiction reflects the typical "grass is greener" perception people have when they see others living the lifestyle they aspire to. It assumes that driving and living in luxury and partying large is all that's required for someone to be happy.

Those external things have nothing to do with whether or not the person is in good health, enjoys great relationships and has high self-esteem, which are factors that also contribute to personal happiness and well-being.

There's a saying that money doesn't change a person, it just magnifies their personality. So, if someone of average means is basically a miserable person, acquiring wealth does not magically transform them into a lovable saint. They just become a wealthy miserable person.

In my opinion, the title of this thread, "Can money buy happiness?" is referring to lasting happiness. That should not be confused with the isolated and temporary feelings of euphoria we experience when something exciting occasionally occurs in our lives.

Lasting happiness is the kind that's generated from within and is independent of external influences. That refined quality of happiness cannot be bought for all the currency in the world.

Consider this: If the grass is greener on the other side, maybe that's a clue we should water our own patch of grass.

Hermas

Vishal P. Rao likes this.
  4. bluetexas

bluetexas Member

I think success brings happiness, but success is in the eye of the beholder.

5. Vishal P. Rao

Vishal P. Rao Administrator Staff Member

Well said Hermas (y) One of the biggest reasons of our unhappiness is overestimating others happiness.

6. Anders J

Anders J Member

We live for the body mind and soul.

We do need money for giving us the option to enjoy life. The freedom to be what we want.

When you read about the biggest bands who were highrollers like GNR back in 1987-1992 the problem was they did not know how to enjoy it even though they had the greatest income in their life. The members grew apart and left one by one.

I can recommend reading the science of getting rich. You have a right to be rich to make the best of yourself.

A8ch, PeterMFL and Vishal P. Rao like this.
  7. A8ch

A8ch Gold Member

I second that recommendation!

The Science of Getting Rich, by Wallace D. Wattles, is an inspirational and insightful blueprint that uses simple, direct language to explain powerful mental strategies that can lead to prosperity in every area of your life. It should be on the bookshelf of every person seeking self improvement.

Hermas

Last edited: Nov 3, 2013
    Anders J likes this.
  8. Anders J

Anders J Member

That's why I have direct links on my website to it under the tools for building a business.

Think and grow rich is of course also essential to have so it's there.

You were born rich by Bob Proctor is not there but it will be there shortly as it is also just as important to have among the two others mentioned.

9. drknlvly6781

drknlvly6781 Active Member

I know this contest is over, but I really want to respond to the question. Money cannot buy happiness period, it only makes us more of what we are. If you want to be happy when you have money, you have to start by being happy BEFORE you have money. To show gratitude, to be willing to help others. Happiness is a lifestyle, not a result of financial flexibility. The power to be happy lies in your own mind, not in your pocketbook.

10. Haley O.

Haley O. New Member

I don't care if the contest is closed
    I need to comment this.
    No I do not believe money buys happiness. Some of the happiest people in the world barley have enough money to pay the rent. Its all a mind set and how you look at it. Life is definitely what you make it. Its all about how you take it. How you react to it.

11. JODAD

JODAD New Member

Helping people and making people successful is the name of the game. Dont look at the end result. It will come. Do good for others and it will reward you in the end. Health comes first and then $ if you dont have them in that order what do you have ? Nothing! Selling is for the birds sell yourself and what this has to offer to others and let them make the decision. Educate yourself on $ because it will run out very quickly if you dont you will be back to square one. I have such a great group in town that I have never seen anything like it! We are succeeding and will do for years to come.

12. nidhish01

nidhish01 New Member

No money cannot buy happiness.. but sometimes it does specially when you are poor and struggle for food in everyday life .

13. SandraGJ

SandraGJ Member

Happiness is a state of mind, not your bank account. Although you can't really be happy when you have nothing to eat, but let's just say you shouldn't mix apples and oranges. You shouldn't focus solely on money and look on it as something that will make you happy, it's the goals you achieve and money is just a ''byproduct'' so to speak.

payment proof likes this.
  14. Scott W

Scott W New Member

15. payment proof

payment proof Active Member

16. YAGOOFT

YAGOOFT Active Member

Wealth without health is worthless, and if one thinks that money buys happiness, not if you are not healthy. I have always said, money can't buy happiness, but it can buy everything else.

Success to all

payment proof likes this.