Can You Make Money as an Amazon Affiliate?

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by robinincarolina, Dec 14, 2015.

1. robinincarolina

robinincarolina Silver Member

I have been an affiliate marketer now for 7 years! I actually discovered it on this very forum! Thank you by the way! I have mostly done digital products and have since created my own digital products and had the belief that being an affiliate for Amazon was pointless because the commission percentage is lower.

Well my mind has been changed over the last couple of years. I have a new partner at Pajama Affiliates and she has been teaching me how to capitalize as an Amazon Affiliate! I did not know what I did not know. Can you make money as an Amazon Affiliate? Well here is a screenshot of my partner, Lesley's orders as of December 13th.
    [​IMG]

For starters Amazon is a retail giant. Your only job as an affiliate marketer for Amazon is to get them there. Amazon does the rest for you. Someone can click on your link for one item and end up on a big shopping spree. 4th quarter at Amazon is exciting!

How does she make so much money affiliate marketing for Amazon!

1. She has chosen her niche wisely.

2. She has lots of good relevant content on her sites. No shabby posts. All her posts and images are original and she puts in a lot of time into each and every one.

3. She keeps rinsing and repeating! She never gave up!

4. She knows her keywords and SEO. She doesn't just shoot in the dark.

5. She utilizes social media to her advantage. Google plus, pinterest, twitter and Facebook.

6.. She has strong calls to action on her blog posts!

I have invited Lesley to join this forum so if you have ever wanted to learn how to cash in as an affiliate marketer, she is your girl.

I just started with Amazon and I too am starting to get results. It's a brand new stream of income for me and I am excited to start!

TheLesleyShow likes this.
  2. talfighel

talfighel Silver Member

It's all fun and games until your blog gets slapped by Google.

They pay really low commissions.

Plus, she made over $25,000 from 15,426 ordered items? I know some people who made over $1 Million with just 1000 customers/orders.

How?

High ticket products that can bank you anywhere between $500 and all the way up to $5,000 per customer.

3. robinincarolina

I think I stated that I used to think the same way in my opening post talfighel. Wouldn't dream of promoting for such low commissions. I changed my mind when I saw how it's done. Not everyone aligns with high ticket items.

Take the Mommy Blogger in the crochet niche for example. That is the great thing about affiliate marketing. There is a niche and a means for about everyone to make money.

A mommy blogger that makes over 60K in one quarter gives other people hope that they can do it too! I know many that would shout for joy for 60k in three months time!

TheLesleyShow likes this.
  4. TheLesleyShow

TheLesleyShow New Member

She is doing it with toys not high dollar items. What does it matter what the item is as long as she made the money? Jealous?

robinincarolina likes this.
  5. Newoak

Newoak Member

6. YAGOOFT

YAGOOFT Active Member

Showing total earned income is deceiving, how about showing expenses, time and effort, different picture then. Been there, done that, not as easy as it sounds unless you have a huge list or huge blog readership, something that takes years to develop. If she is advertising to get those to her affiliate link at Amazon, then you have to ask, how much is she spending, most spend almost as much as they earn, which is considered a success if you are selling volume. Good luck either way,.

Success to all,

7. ScottCofer

ScottCofer Member

That is a massive amount of clicks and orders ... a volume most people cannot come close to. As talfighel stated, the percentage that Amazon pays is usually quite low.

Also, I'd be curious to know if her blog has a huge readership, or if the sales were generated by paid traffic (which would eat a portion - perhaps a large one - of the gross sales).

8. robinincarolina

Why is it so hard for people to wrap their brains around the concept that building an authoritative site in one particular niche and working it hard and adding content consistently for a few years can actually earn this kind of money with no advertising and no list and without followers?

It's a toy blog, which is hot year around and booms during the 4th quarter. It is a few years old. The FREE traffic comes mostly from Google and Pinterest. A list in this niche would not even make sense. I mean who wants a weekly email about the latest hot toys considering toys are something we buy on birthdays and Christmas which only come once a year? When we are in the market to buy a toy, we go to Google or Pinterest for suggestions.

This is possible in many niches but you have to be willing to put in the hard work and dedication. It's not going to happen in the first six months. It's consistency, repetition and commitment!

The screenshot is December 15th 2015. You should see the one from December 31st 2015!

9. mountainmom5

mountainmom5 Gold Member

You've got to be kidding me.

I'm reading through this thread and am buffaloed. Robin KNOWS her stuff, guys. Yes she may be promoting her own products but as far as I ( and many thousands of others) are concerned, it's one of the best and most REAL programs on the market today. It's the ONLY one I promote anymore for affiliate marketers.

Lesley ( and Robin) has mastered the art of blogging with FREE TRAFFIC and generating a ton of money with it. I agree it's more than some folks can wrap their brain around, but it's not science, folks. Once the work is out there ( and she has more than one site) it will continue to generate sales. The blogs are very well done and are ALL her own work. She isn't using spinners and paid articles. All things we got severely slapped for a few years back by google. I know. I was one of them.

I know she has both high and low ticket items as you NEED the low ticket ones to get to the next percentage bracket on Amazon commissions. And while I agree that Amazon pays low commissions, Lesley ( and others) are proof it can be done. People BUY from Amazon. I link to other affiliate sites that pay more, and I know Lesley does too, but sales are lower because the other sites don't have the authority that Amazon does.

Okay - rant over. Back to my blogs and coffee! :D

robinincarolina likes this.
  10. ScottCofer

ScottCofer Member

I don't doubt that she is a pro. My hats off to her achievements!

Many top bloggers (Lisa Leake from '100 days of real food' comes to mind) make a killing from Adsense and Amazon. But Lisa's traffic is enormous.

The point here is that it takes a large amount of traffic to generate that amount of clicks and orders. And doing it all using free traffic from blogging won't be achievable for most.

But it is do-able (certainly) ...

11. robinincarolina

Yes it's doable. You surely need the traffic. Traffic alone however isn't the only piece to this puzzle. Knowing how to write and structure a blog post to convert at higher rates helps too! I can teach you how to get free traffic all day long but it won't do you much good if you don't know how to convert it.

12. Bobby Digital

Bobby Digital New Member

Yes you can, but unfortunately you may have to sell a lot to earn a decent commission. Amazon is infamous for paying very low commissions to its affiliates. I would try to build my own Amazon Store, then drive traffic to it. That way you'll make enough direct sales for a great payday

13. robinincarolina

Building an Amazon store worked back in the days before the Google updates, not so much anymore.