Canadians, A Merchant account question

Discussion in 'Coastal Vacations' started by hsimpsonjr, Jun 13, 2007.

1. hsimpsonjr

hsimpsonjr Silver Member

What options do you have in Canada? I have heard that it is VERY expensive to have a merchant account in Canada. Does anyone have any tips on this?

2. SAS78

SAS78 New Member

Well my Director just advised me that PayPal is no longer an option. Depending on the Coastal Group that you are with they should have information available for you.

Other options are Costco - www.costcocanada.novainfo.com

or www.collectivepos.com

I too am looking for infomation on this!

3. hsimpsonjr

hsimpsonjr Silver Member

Why is paypal not an option? I know it can be dangerous if they find out you are a homebusiness but just don't tell them and don't mention Coastal anywhere in the transaction. I have a merchant account but occasionally I still use paypal to make it easier on someone who wants to use their paypal account.

4. SAS78

SAS78 New Member

Well that's exactly right, we can't have Coastal anywhere on our account. My thoughts are regarding our client's comfort level i.e. sending $$ to an account where Coastal is not even mentioned...

Just curious, if you are using your PayPal Merchant account, which URL are you putting on your Coastal "Purchase Now" link?

5. hsimpsonjr

hsimpsonjr Silver Member

I don't use my paypal account unless the prospect requests it. I use my LinkPoint merchant account most of all.

6. pcwork

pcwork New Member

You can try using moneybookers

7. Harold merchant account are way too pricey to be effective. We use Wiretransfers. international money orders. And on very rare occasions paypal.

8. How are you finding linkpoint Harold?

9. hsimpsonjr

hsimpsonjr Silver Member

I am asking Canadians because I have another Canadian Prospect who wants to have a merchant account and I don't think Card Services is available to them. My card services merchant account is GREAT! It's very inexpensive and is working like they said it would. I have had one chargeback so you have to be prepared for that "once in a blue moon" person who made that impulse buy and wants their money back but, besides that, it's been just fine.

10. Us canadians are very limited. But the ability to refund or chargeback. I dont think I would ever want to use a merchant account. I do not do refunds without a re stocking fee. And I look at an implulse buy as a pack of gum not a home based business. I charge a hefty restocking fee but have never charge that as I have had no refunds or returns. There are some canadian options for merchant accounts but again they are pricey and very in depth. I suggest for your customer to perhaps aquire a US bank account and po box. This way Card services international will work for them too.

11. hsimpsonjr

hsimpsonjr Silver Member

I didn't know they could do that. What is the process for that?

12. For getting a US account there are alot of options. Start with a US PO BOX that gives an address and option to have your mail forwarded to where you actually are. Once you have a mailing address its easy enough to set up bank accounts using it as your current address. I suggest looking around online for "US PO BOX" or "PO Box Mail Forwarding" You should find what you need. As for a bank.....thats an easy online signup.
    I have to end this post by thanking Harold who instigated, through this string, a great conversation and desicion I made with my partner in regard to refunds. We havent done one yet but decided to put a policy in stone to handle any that may come through. In the event that the refund is approved by us a $295 US restocking fee will now apply. This will increase based on what level was purchased. This way our wholesale costs are at least covered. Thanks Harold

Sean Keely
    Level III Director/FTV Distributor

13. Judy

Judy New Member

O.K. Maybe I haven't read all the literature yet, but how does the shipping of product work? I live near Toronto Ontario. I got my product shipped from the WCYS office and the shipping centre (1 package each).
    If I want to sell a package outside of the WCYS office do I take the money of the person and then give the shipping office their money and they ship the product out? I would not think I would have to buy the products beforehand to ship out and it could take weeks if they had to ship it to me and then I to them (especially if they were in the States to begin with).
    Can someone please explain?

Also, when there is a chargeback and the person does not return the package can you call the shipping office and have their membership revoked for non payment. If not, wouldn't everybody be able to do this and get a free membership?

Just questions that are coming up in my research. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks-Judy

14. hsimpsonjr

hsimpsonjr Silver Member

Judy,
    I was fortunate enough to have an honest person to do the chargeback so he sent me his level 1 package to me and I will sell it again as a retail sale or something like that. It would be your responsibility to get the package back. That is the downside of using a merchant account or paypal.

15. gabriel67

gabriel67 New Member

Simply try your favourite search engine and type "Canadian merchant accounts" in it, you will get tons of links to consider.

16. sum22

sum22 New Member

Yes gabriel67 that is true.
    when i give "Canadian merchant account" keywords search on google.ca I got 0.4 millions result.

I think there are lots of local merchant service sites. You check their offers.