Carrot or stick (Poll)

Discussion in 'Productivity and Motivation' started by Jon Squirrel, Apr 23, 2009.

1. Jon Squirrel New Member

Hey guys,

It's late at night (or rather very early in the morning!) where I am and you could probably put it down to a lack of discipline - I'll either get up early tomorrow morning and be tired or get up late... which would be kind of lazy...

So I thought I'd create this poll.

To help you be as productive as possible, be disciplined, and stick to your set routine, are you more likely to...

a) reward yourself as an incentive for completing tasks (cups of tea, bars of chocolate etc.)

OR

b) penalise yourself for going off course or failing to achieve objectives (banning yourself from watching tv, slapping yourself in the face etc.)

Personally, I reward myself... before I actually complete any tasks... and I'm beginning to think this isn't the best strategy...! [IMG]

So I look forward to hearing your thoughts on this...

Sweet dreams,

Jon
  2. cherie27 New Member

On certain days, i will do all the tasks promptly. I will reward myself a chocolate and rest.

But on certain days, just feel lazy and went out of the course. I will sacrifice my weekends rest to do the tasks that i promise myself.
  3. jay284 New Member

I never punish myself... that is counter-productive. Instead, I reward myself when I have earned it, but have a simple talk with myself when I slack off.

Self talk is a form of reward I guess...
  4. Newbie Shield Gold Member

Hi Jon,

I don't really reward or punish myself. I just keep the pace and a healthy balance of work, play, chores, and errands (task variety).

Interesting poll though.

~Newbie Shield~
  5. timhale New Member

Go for the REWARD...like CHOCOLATE! [IMG]

Reward has been shown to have a better effect on motivation than punishment!

Plus, why not create "rewards" that still benefit you. Like, allowing yourself to read a book that is relaxing - but still benefits you personally or professionally.

Or, "rewarding" yourself with a snack you enjoy - like chocolate - but one that won't make you get huge! [IMG]

Just a thought!

~Tim