Chemical in plastic bottles can cause heart disease

Discussion in 'Health' started by Vishal P. Rao, Sep 17, 2008.

1. Vishal P. Rao

Vishal P. Rao Administrator Staff Member

Research has found that a chemical used in manufacturing plastic bottles and products can cause heart disease and diabetes.

A chemical widely used in plastic products, including baby bottles, plastic food and drink containers could increase the risk of heart disease and diabetes, suggests a new research.

According to the study, higher levels of Bisphenol A (BPA) in the urine is linked with cardiovascular disease, type 2 diabetes and liver-enzyme abnormalities.

BPA is one of the world's highest production-volume chemicals, and is used in plastics in many consumer products.

Chemical used in plastic bottles can cause heart disease, diabetes
  2. Newbie Shield

Newbie Shield Gold Member

Not to mention the fact that plastics are petroleum-based. That can't be good [​IMG]

Disturbing article. I've been concerned about plastics for quite a while.

When buying food and water contained in plastic containers or when storing left overs, try to use hard plastic rather than soft. Soft plastic harbors bacteria because it is porous.

Never put your pet food or water in plastic dishes. Always use either ceramic or stainless steel.

Look down at your fingers, you're touching plastic! Your keyboard and your mouse are made of plastic.

Just for kicks, look around the room you are sitting in right now. How many items are partly or entirely made of plastic? Yikes!

Vishal, I'm glad you raised this issue. It's actually a freaky topic if you read up on it.

I remember back in the late 70's and early 80's when everything that was made of metal or wood suddenly started showing up in plastic. The drop in quality was tremendous. I wasn't to happy about that.

Considering the health concerns and the rising cost of oil, I wonder if they will switch back to making things out of metal and wood or if they will come up with a new panacea synthetic material.

Interesting subject.

~Newbie Shield~
  3. MamAtWork

MamAtWork New Member

The risks of plastics have been becoming more and more public lately, but always focused on the fact that BPA mimics oestrogen. Now that it may have a broader fear factor, I wonder if we will see something done.
  4. karma

karma New Member

I have heard this a long time ago and since then i only use glass bottles for storing water in the fridge.

When planning a persons diet, alot of nutritionists specify only drinking water from glass bottles to their clients. It will probably be a while before we see the plastic bottle replaced though.

And yes Newbie Shield, it is scary the amount of plastic in the average house.
  5. MamAtWork

MamAtWork New Member

For infants at least, manufacturers have stepped up pretty quickly in making sure that they have BPA free alternatives. But why couldn't they do that from the start-why expose babies in the first place?
  6. vmohan123

vmohan123 New Member

I did a news report on a protest about this when the news broke. The passion of angry mothers was in full force. Mothers who were unknowingly feeding their babies with harmful bottles made a lot of noise about the issue. Unfortunately for me, there was this really annoying children's music group who were playing too loud when the spokespeople were offering interviews, so much of the audio in my footage was overwhelmed by their music. Still, it was a sight to see.
  7. dani_nae

dani_nae New Member

OKay so try this test... have someone stand in front of you with both of their arms straight ahead (as if walking like a zombie...) and try to push one of their arms down while they try to resist you. You shouldn't be able to push their arm down...

Now, try the same thing with them having a plastic water bottle in their hand. You will be able to push their hand down easily with the plastic bottle in their hand...
  8. TJamMoneyMan

TJamMoneyMan Active Member

Thanx 4 reminding me folx, I had completely overlooked this one.
    I carry around and reuse plastic bottles all the time!
    !!!

I guess it's Stainless Steel or the 'hard to find' plastics #4 and #5 from now on.

That link posted above is no longer available, but here's one of a few good ones:
    http://www.naturescrib.com/dangers-of-plastic-bottles.html
  9. getagrip

getagrip Gold Member

Seems like almost everything does something bad to you these days...
  10. Jean LA

Jean LA New Member

Plastics are made from chemicals so there is always a side effect. [​IMG]
  11. 1life1fire

1life1fire New Member

Polypropylene Water Bottles ... or Glass containers ... are ways to make sure you don't drink chemicals.... neither disintegrate for about 5 years time.

My polypropylene water bottle is rated a #7 ... and #8 is the highest. (I believe).
  12. talfighel

talfighel Silver Member

My family still uses plastic bottles to drink bottled water. This may be the case but don't believe everything you hear about and read about.

Tal
  13. weebitty

weebitty Member

14. ChristinaM

ChristinaM New Member

Good stuff. I stopped microwaving my food in plasctic years ago. The container may say 'safe' but that is not something I trust.
  15. EMiller

EMiller New Member

Not to mention the tons of additional waste in the landfills and millions of gallons of water and fuel wasted on manufacturing the bottles themselves.
  16. TJamMoneyMan

TJamMoneyMan Active Member

Not to mention that BPA is now commonly found in cash register receipts as well:
    http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_162-20011903-10391704.html

The CBS headline reads:
    BPA Receipts Bombshell: Paper Slips Contain High Levels of Bisphenol A

"Extraordinarily high levels of BPA were found on two-fifths of the paper receipts tested recently by the Environmental Working Group, a nonprofit organization in Washington, D.C."

"In some cases, the amount of BPA on a given receipt was 1,000 times the levels found in a can of food."

Not to worry says AmericanChemistry.com:
    http://www.americanchemistry.com/s_acc/sec_news_article.asp?CID=206&DID=11239&gclid=CPX8vpvFo6 MCFSUXswodP2Z06A

Their site quotes the American Chemistry Council:

Exposure levels to BPA by the general U.S. population??”from all sources??”are quite low; they're about 1,000 times below safe intake levels set by government bodies in Europe and the U.S.

"Some receipts made from thermal paper can contain low levels of bisphenol A (BPA). However, available data suggests that BPA is not readily absorbed through the skin.

So total BPA exposure "from all sources"
    is not anything at all to worry about!!

After all total exposure is "quite low", and "data suggests that BPA is not readily absorbed into the skin"

Or maybe BPA is really something to worry about!

Sez the Environmental Working Group (EWG):

Receipts were collected from ATM's, grocery stores, fast food restaurants, gas stations and the like. "Wipe tests" showed that the coating of BPA of paper receipts would likely stick to the skin of anyone who handled them.

The chemical can be absorbed into the skin and transferred to the digestive tract by touching the mouth.

Obvious contradictions.

Who ya gonna believe?

Common sense tells me BPA is gonna be absorbed one way or another.
    AND children will touch almost ANYTHING, and except for vegetables, will put almost ANYTHING in their mouths.

But of course, these are still only "studies", and "controversial" as well - according to the CBS site link WebMD.