Common SEO mistakes

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization (SEO)' started by katereber, May 18, 2011.

1. katereber New Member

Hello everyone, here are my list of common SEO mistakes.

??? Bad Titles
    ??? Filename of the page
    ??? Duplicate or Bad Content
    ??? No Links
    ??? Incoming link anchor text
    ??? Bad Internal Page Links
    ??? Keyword selection
    ??? Keyword Spamming and Stuffing

For more information, please visit the link below.

http://www.webtalkforums.com/showthr...#ixzz1LChc7dqJ

Have a nice day..

Thanks.. [IMG]
  2. talfighel Silver Member

3. Just2EZ Moderator

Two oft overlooked but critical to Search Engine Optimization are the
    SiteMap.xml file and the
    Robots.txt file.

Those are the 2 components Search Engines look for.
    The other factors determine how they rank you once they find you.
    If you want to get indexed, provide an index for them to index.
    And update your index whenever you add new content.
    WordPress has plug-ins to do it for you and ping the search engines.
  4. katereber New Member

talfighel: Good advice Kate.
    Thank you so much Tal.. Good day to you.. [IMG]
  5. katereber New Member

Just2EZ: Two oft overlooked but critical to Search Engine Optimization are the
    SiteMap.xml file and the
    Robots.txt file.

Those are the 2 components Search Engines look for.
    The other factors determine how they rank you once they find you.
    If you want to get indexed, provide an index for them to index.
    And update your index whenever you add new content.
    WordPress has plug-ins to do it for you and ping the search engines.

That's a great idea Jim, thanks for sharing.. [IMG]
  6. audrey12 New Member

Hi its really a good and powerful piece of advice. Thank you katereber. Well usually people struggle to get SEO rich content,quality links for increasing website traffic, but there are experts who offer micro services in 3to30 site to get high quality content.
  7. Yeoch Member

Hi,

I like to relate my experience of experimenting with SEO.

I did all the things in a WP website which snipers said should rank high, ie., keyword research, keyword density, indexing, ... etc. I created a Youtube video that pointed to the website, as prescribed by experts.

I launched them in April 2011. The Youtube video immediately ranked at page 2 and my website at page 6 at Google search.

Due to admitting some comments from visitors, my website disappeared completely from Google pages 1 - 10. I couldn't be bothered to find where.

I added another good post on 13 May, and I saw my website at sometime page 3 and sometime 4 of Google search.

Last Sunday, 22 May 2011, I bought a dedicated IP and on 23 May 2011, the website has been Google page 1. Cost of dedicated IP? Less than US$30/year.

So, use premium hosting account where you can host unlimited domain names, unlimited bandwidth and web space and get a dedicated IP. All for less than US$66/year.

If all your websites are hosted by several companies, getting a dedicated IP for each is very uneconomical. And, Hostgator may not be good choice.

Bye
  8. Oliviabest New Member

yep, those are common mistakes one should avoid for sure.
  9. laimonas New Member

Simple and clear. Thank you Kate
  10. Dr_Boo New Member

Bad or lack of meta data in the html head could turn people off your site, even if you rank well on the results. This is the small blurb about your site and content people see along with the title on search results, so sell yourself and make people want to click your link over the others.
  11. Tess_T New Member

Dr_Boo: Bad or lack of meta data in the html head could turn people off your site, even if you rank well on the results. This is the small blurb about your site and content people see along with the title on search results, so sell yourself and make people want to click your link over the others.

Great advice! You've got to make your description compelling so that people can't resist clicking.

Also, great content is essential, which means writing with the reader in mind is first and foremost, keyword optimization secondary. SEO isn't such a scary monster, it's just time consuming and requires patience[IMG]
  12. loner44 New Member

Typical misconceptions:
    1. SEO software can block my site from Google and harm my rankings (um, no it just temp blocks your IP)
    2. If you use Google Analytics Google will spy on you (you are spied on whether you are the Analytics user or not [IMG])
    3. Meta tags help my rankings (no no and no)

the source isn't the freshest but definitely informative - google SE land's 36 SEO Myths That Won't Die But Need To
  13. winsten New Member

Wow, thanks for all the wonderful information. It has been very helpful.
  14. kane1976 New Member

I have found with people who have bought websites from me in the past, that many of them just stuff their meta keyword tag with the same keywords again and again, thinking that they will rank high for that keyword. As many will know though, it's not a good thing to do and is commonly known as keyword stuffing.

There should only be one instance of a particular keyword when constructing your meta keyword tag.

Also, when you submit to certain search engines, they will tell you that your excessively using a particular keyword, even in a long tail keyword, where that keyword may appear at the end of it.

That's rubbish though, as long as you don't keep stuffing the same keyword in again and again on it's own, you wont get penalized for it.
  15. Takuyah New Member

Thanks for the info.[IMG]
  16. sunnyblue New Member

you have to avoid keyword stuffing in meta tag, body of your article, and link building also.
  17. NetWizard862 New Member

I would add not using your target audience's vocabulary, setting up a blog with free hosting, 100% trusting the data in Google webmaster tools, not using an seo software but rather trying another silver every day and falling in love with every new technique you can find
  18. Stephen Pitts New Member

Nice posts.. really helpfull
  19. jamess Member

The common mistakes are using Bad Titles or Same Title tags on multiple pages that is really not good for the website.