Considering working from home but need advice

Discussion in 'General Advice' started by Euphoricsoul, Jan 30, 2013.

1. Euphoricsoul

Euphoricsoul New Member

Hello all, I'm Patrick. I am a retired Navy veteran, and until recently, had a great job with a defense contractor repairing ships. Unfortunately, I was laid off due to the budget cuts that many of you have seen in the news. I was pretty upset by this obviously, but decided it would be a good opportunity to finish my degree while earning unemployment. However, as it turns out, unemployment is practically nullified by my military pension, so it looks like I'll need to bring in some extra income for a few months to make ends meet until I finish my degree.

That's what brings me here. I'm looking to tap all of your collective wisdom on what would be the best fit for me in the work-from-home job community. I've done a few quick searches, but there is just so much to choose from, I'm not sure what is legitimate and what is a scam. I would like to be able to work from 15-20 hours a week while attending classes the rest of the time.

My background is Photography, Graphic Design and Journalism while in the military, and I've been a computer/internet nut since the mid-late 90's. I'm also very savvy with social media, but I don't have any formal training on web site design or development. I don't have any friends who work from home, so I'm hoping that one of you fine people will be able to lead me in the right direction. :)

Thanks for your time.
  2. Hi Patrick,

I'm sorry to hear about you loosing your job. It's difficult times for many with the current state of the economy. It is also very easy for many to fall victim to online scams. Now, there are many ways to make money online but always do your due diligence and research the opportunity inside and out before investing in it.

The first thing I wanted to mention is that there are many legitimate ways to make money online but I am just going to go over a couple below.

If you want to make some quick money based on your background you could try freelancing work. You could check out places like Fiverr.com or odesk.com.

Another way you could make money online is through creating your own products or affiliate marketing. I would look for a niche in something that you really like and/or have experience in. Also, make sure that the niche you choose is something that people are looking for and is in demand.

One of the most important things to do when building an online business to last is to create a list. You do this by offering something of value for free in exchange for someone's name and/or email. You have what's called an autoresponder that manages everyone on your list. With an autoresponder you potentially can build a list of thousands of people and your autoresponder will manage all your emails you send out.

You give away your free gift(s) at what's called a squeeze page. The whole main purpose of this page is to get someone's info.

Once people are on your list you want to always over deliver by sending them helpful information, products, tips, etc...

By doing this you build a rapport. You could mix in some affiliate products or a product or your own and this is where you will make your money.

This is a proven system used by top internet marketers. This will allow you to really build a long lasting online business. You won't make quick money with it but you will build quality in which will give you better results in the long run.

Once you have your business set up you can start driving traffic to it.

This is just the basics but if you have any more questions or need any clarification please let me know.

Hope this helps, :)

Kevin
  3. Euphoricsoul

Euphoricsoul New Member

Thanks Kevin that was extremely insightful! I'm still on the fence, but you've definitely given me some things to think about. :)
  4. payment proof

payment proof Active Member

Patrick,

I'm also sorry to hear about you losing your job. And Kevin gave you great advice.

Try searching for your interests online and see how other people are making money with them. That may give you some additional ideas as well.

Best of luck. :)
  5. CreateYourWealt

CreateYourWealt New Member

Patrick

Sorry to read about the job loss as well. It is really tough times for many.

Kevin and payment proof gave some great advice.

You could take advantage of your existing knowledge through freelancing. Here are some other sites to investigate:

· Guru.com
    · Rentacoder.com
    · Elance.com
    · Vworker.com
    · Scriptlance.com
    · Workaholoics.com

Kevin gave great advice about creating your own product; however, if you don't already have a list to market that product to, it might be hard to generate revenue with the product. If you don't have a list, then you could consider letting affiliates market the product for you.

I also agee with there are many legitimate ways to make money online; however, like any business opportunity it takes hard work and committment.

Good luck, and be sure to perform the proper due deligence on any ideas.
  6. hetherz20

hetherz20 New Member

yeah freelancing is done by more people so go for it
    this will give you many more experience.But it will take time to find a best freelance job.

good luck dude.
  7. robinincarolina

robinincarolina Silver Member

The opportunities to make money online are endless. If you start with something you are passionate about, you can't go wrong as long as you stay with it. I mentor many in this area and the ones with the passion always always seem to have the biggest and the fastest results.

There is no one way to do it! Affiliate marketing is a way to turn your passions into cash! Write about what you love and find products to support it.
  8. ThatSkinGuy

ThatSkinGuy New Member

Patrick I have been in your shoes, and im sorry for your struggles! I own a coatings contracting business, and a lot of our work was through the government. Things slowed down and I got scared! Behind on everything, stressed out of my mind. I started loosing hope, then someone approached me with an opportunity to do network marketing. I was kinda skeptical at first because of all the scams out there, but I did my research. Once I started doing my research it was a no brainer when I found out this company is the world leader in skin care products! So I hit the ground running and never looked back. I put faith into this business and it has been rewarding. I still have the coatings company running, too much time invested to just let it go down the drain but ill be honest and say its not my main source of income. The biggest thing that's going to make you successful is believing in something and it will work. Put hard work into it and once it starts rolling, it just gets easier as time goes. Its the best decision I ever made in my life. Even though the hard times drove me to it, it was worth it.
    Good luck! I hope you find something that lets you enjoy every second of life! Everyone that is willing to work hard deserves an enjoyable life!
  9. talfighel

talfighel Silver Member

Hi Patrick,

Losing a job opens up a new door in life for you if you just are willing to open yourself to the opportunities.

If you are looking for a job online that actually pays you money like in a regular job than I am here to tell you that you should be careful because there is no such thing unless you get hired to write content for other websites and people.

Be careful because there are a lot of scams online and you can get sucked into many of them over the course of a few weeks and lose a lot of money.

Before you join anything, do your own research. Don't jump into something because it looks like a quick fix.