Creating and Selling Domain Names

Discussion in 'Ideas' started by kehk05, Mar 27, 2008.

1. kehk05 New Member

Aloha!

Has anyone heard of creating and selling domain names for a profit? I just came across this ad that teaches you how to create a domain name, contact companies and sell them the domain name. Any thoughts or experiences?
  2. neilac New Member

They are easy to create but hard to sell. Ive had over 260 for sale on Go-Daddy fof almost a year. I sold 4. Barely covered my costs. I do have a friend who hit the jackpot firt time out and made $38,000. So while it's unlikely it is possible. I wish you luck in your venture whatever it may be.
    Neil
  3. MyOwnBoss New Member

Yeah, this is the thing people forget to mention when they tell you how easy it is to make a fortune doing it. The people who flip domains for a living know better. It's a business like any other. If you hope to hit the lottery by getting a domain and finding someone to buy it off you for a lot of money, you'll probably end up going nowhere.

The way to make actual money with it is to set up a site on that domain, get some backlinks and traffic to the domain - in short, add value to the domain. People will be willing to pay you a premium for a domain that comes with built-in traffic from day 1. They're usually not willing to pay you a premium just because they feel like you chose a cool name.

neilac: They are easy to create but hard to sell. Ive had over 260 for sale on Go-Daddy fof almost a year. I sold 4. Barely covered my costs. I do have a friend who hit the jackpot firt time out and made $38,000. So while it's unlikely it is possible. I wish you luck in your venture whatever it may be.
    Neil
  4. Newbie Shield Gold Member

Yep, you can't just step in and cyber squat. That's been going on for 10 years already. The market is saturated with cyber squatters.

Even so, it's possible if you do as MyOwnBoss suggests. You have to add value to the site. That can be quite lucrative provided you know the ropes. You have to be able to design well, write well, SEO, and create traffic among other things.

It's a cool profession if you do the proper footwork first.

[IMG]

~Newbie Shield~
  5. Krissy New Member

Domain flipping effects many of us who hold a legit internet business. What people don't realize is a domain only costs like $6 from certain companies and then someone comes in and sells it for $10,000+. Sure, that seems like a great idea but when you're dealing with trademarked names and have to get lawyers involved - it really wasn't worth the $6 purchase.
  6. pcwork New Member

There are millions of domains listed at marketplaces like Sedo, but very few are sold
  7. GavinStephenson New Member

beat the market.. if you hear about something new.. buy the domain QUICK.. like a new music artist or band. JUMP on it and they will have to buy it from you. although i have never done this before i think it might work
  8. aleker New Member

My brother in law did that with iPods he sold a Ibrokemyipod domain name to someone for a decent amount.