Crispy Ginger Snaps

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by Just2EZ, Dec 18, 2012.

1. Just2EZ

Just2EZ Moderator

I just made a batch of these my wife thought were so good she sent them as presents.
    Figured I'd share the recipe here so I can find it again when I need it. Thanks Vishal.

CRISPY GINGERSNAPS
    Makes 80 x 1 1/2 inch cookies (40 if you like them larger)

Ingredients:

2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
    2 teaspoons baking soda
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    ---
    12 tablespoons unsalted butter or margarine
    ---
    2 tablespoons ground ginger (mild, I would add more)
    1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
    1/4 teaspoon pepper
    pinch cayenne
    ----
    1 1/4 cups packed dark brown sugar
    1/4 cup molasses
    2 tablespoons finely grated fresh ginger
    2 large eggs
    ----
    1/2 cup granulated sugar to roll balls in

Instructions

Whisk flour, baking soda, and salt together in bowl, set aside.

Heat butter in 10-inch skillet over medium heat until melted. Lower heat to medium-low and continue to cook, swirling pan frequently, until foaming subsides and butter is just beginning to brown, 2 to 4 minutes.

Transfer butter to large bowl and whisk in ground ginger, cinnamon, cloves, pepper, and cayenne. Cool slightly, about 2 minutes.

Add brown sugar, molasses, and fresh ginger to butter mixture and whisk to combine.

Add eggs and whisk to combine.

Add flour mixture and stir until just combined.

Cover dough tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm, about 1 hour.

Heat oven to 300 degrees with rack in the middle.

Place granulated sugar in shallow bowl.

Divide dough into heaping teaspoon portions then roll dough into 1-inch balls.

Roll balls in sugar to coat.

Place dough balls on prepared baking sheets 3 or more inches apart.

Bake at 300 degrees for 15-17 minutes until edges start to darken.

Slide baked cookies onto a wire rack and cool completely before serving.
    Cool baking sheets slightly and repeat with remaining dough balls.

Dough can be refrigerated for up to 2 days or frozen for up to 1 month.

Enjoy!

2. Vishal P. Rao

Vishal P. Rao Administrator Staff Member

Thanks for sharing it Jimmy! Will show to my wife :) Use to cook a lot before getting married. My wife is a great cook and that has made me very lazy now!

3. Just2EZ

Just2EZ Moderator

I only cook sweets so I can rev up the grand-kids before sending them home! Grandparents revenge.

You can substitute more brown sugar for the molasses if needed, add a bit more butter if you do.
    The larger cookies are more chewy than the little store bought 1 1/2" size since they bake slower.
    The round balls flatten out to "perfect" circles with the little cracks just like store bought ones.
    I have to bake some more tomorrow since my wife ate half and sent half as presents today.
    Yeah, 6 batches came out looking perfect at exactly 17 minutes each for the large ones.

4. Vishal P. Rao

Vishal P. Rao Administrator Staff Member

:D Same with me. The return on investment is much better than regular dishes.

Just2EZ likes this.
  5. Just2EZ

Just2EZ Moderator

EDIT:
    Transfer the butter mixture to a SEPARATE bowl, not the one with the flour in it.
    You need to mix the butter and spices before adding the flour mixture to it.
    Sorry for any confusion, one word can make a world of difference.

6. payment proof

payment proof Active Member

Those sounds delicious. I love Ginger Snaps and they are so much better when they are home made. Thanks for sharing. :)