Describe your work at home space

Discussion in 'Work at Home Moms' started by happygal, Apr 20, 2009.

1. simpleflair

simpleflair New Member

My work at home space is my dining table. We used to have to put away my computer every night before dinner. Luckily we bought another small table for eating. The best thing about this space is that I get a great view of the backyard that's full of greenery.

2. aw1219

aw1219 New Member

It is in a small area inside my sons large bedroom. I just have a square desk with a fax machine/printer. It is all the space I need. I do have a storage compartment underneath my desk. I love it.

3. Jen80

Jen80 New Member

Our room has an adjoining room (used to be a nursery). I turned it into a small office. Lots of peace and quiet just perfect for work.

4. jillc0821

jillc0821 New Member

I work in the living room on a laptop. I go from sitting on the couch to laying on the floor throughout the day. [​IMG]

5. zen

zen New Member

I "had" a working space in my bedroom i.e a desk at the corner, all my reading material and tools I need were packed nicely until hubby bought us a television for the bedroom (now my workspace is anywhere in the house)

6. yvettem

yvettem New Member

My home work space is just a desk in my room... for now anyways. We are moving soon and I'll actually have my own office :D In my new office it will be a "kid-free" zone, right now they feel that every time I work they have to set up and work. Which is cute some times, since my 5 year old comes with his laptop and books saying that he's working on his blog. But it can be distracting at times as the leap frog begins to talk to him and he plays his songs.

One thing that's for sure... I will have a more ergonomic work station, I've been having back and shoulder pains lately and I'm almost sure it's because of how I sit during the day while working. It is cool to see that I'm not the only one with little ones in their workspace with them. :cool:

Yvette M.

7. annadenise

annadenise Active Member

I had a large office area in a large house that was wonderful. However, I sold the house in early 2010 due to my first husband passing away. It was great with plenty of room for files, desktop, laptop, printer, etc. and everything for my home based business as well as everything for taxes, personal bills for the family, taking care of my mom's affairs, etc. When I bought and moved into to a 3 bedroom condo it was a challenge at first since one of my son's moved in when he got out of college. The other room was a guest room for my other son and other family and friends. My office was in the living room, the dining room, the master bedroom and I spent alot of time on the deck, which overlooks Tampa Bay with lots of birds, dolphins, manatees, and fish. Well, finding everything being this spread out was very hard! I could concentrate well on my business' still, but when it came to finding a paper file, bills, etc. it was not easy at all. Working outside sounds great, but depending on what you are doing, it can be distracting with the great view of nature and the water I have here.

My son moved out and my husband (I remarried) and I finally set up an office with a large L-shaped desk, an armoire for the printer and files and a large bookcase. What a difference this makes!!! I've eliminated hours of digging around for things. I still will work downstairs or outside at times since I use a MAC laptop and an IPAD, but now when I need to concentrate I have a dedicated area to do so in and have a door I can close. I highly recommended a designated area. After going two years of "winging it" it definitely helps you concentrate and be better organized.

8. WAHMinNC

WAHMinNC New Member

Usually just my laptop on the couch, with a wireless printer nearby. I used to have a desk set up in our family room upstairs, but I found that I was more productive just staying downstairs. I can have laundry going, dinner in the oven, and be in the middle of things while still focusing on work. When I'm on a conference call, I do move to the bedroom and close the door in case the dog starts barking:)

9. I have an office with some large office furniture (that I love and got on sale). I prefer having a fixed place to go so that everything is where I want it to be and it is quiet so I can remain focused. If I need to move around, I also have a laptop that I use.

10. shutterbugjen

shutterbugjen New Member

I use the corner of my living room for my desk and computer that way I can watch the toddler and work at the same time. The rest of my office is upstairs in a spare bedroom that I use as both my office and closet. Since I am a photographer and have to have props, gear and backdrops I store all of that in my basement storage where they are easily accessible for shoots! The great thing is all of this space can be written off ;)

11. CatherineK

CatherineK Member

My laptop is mostly put to work on our dining room table. It used to be in the study, but I didn't like the "closed in" feeling. I like the wide open views outside looking down towards the gum trees and creek on our property. Sometimes there are distractions going on in the house, but that's okay. It's strange how our space impacts how we feel.

Nice Robin!

12. Grace Adams

Grace Adams New Member

My laptop (with it's designated bean bag) goes where my toddler is, from bedroom to living room even to grandma's house which is just one door away.

13. Good Feather

Good Feather New Member

I love to work out in my screened porch! I invested in a pretty patio set of loveseat and table and bring my laptop, phone, and notebook out with me to work. It overlooks my yard and gardens where I can watch birds, chipmunks and lots of other wildlife and also watch my cats on the porch with me, watching the wildlife to :)
    I love that I can work in fresh air and be home with the kids (we homeschool).

14. Jennifer783

Jennifer783 New Member

My at home work space usually starts at my desk which is in the living room area. I move around during the day because i have toddlers running around the house and my husband is always trying to show me something like he is my teenage son. But when I am at my desk and it is quiet i like to have a little jazz playing in the background with a nice candle lit to set a relaxing tone and mood. I usually like to have the window open by my desk to let the natural air in and I like to hear the worlds noises sometimes.

payment proof likes this.
  15. Tatyana

Tatyana New Member

Hi everyone! I am new to the forums... my home work space is just my living room, with my little desk, laptop and a stack of note pads :D

16. MelindaCaldwell

MelindaCaldwell New Member

My work at home space consists of anywhere that I can go and hide from my kids...lol. I love to work in my office when no one is home, but lately I have actually been going to the library and using their quiet rooms because the are "childless"!!!!

17. Tony VP

Tony VP New Member

Lol @happygal,

It's funny you asked those questions. I was just looking at my workspace today trying to determine if I needed to change it.

There's a computer desk with a printer next to it in our living room. It's always got stuff on it. I'm normally pretty comfortable there. The only thing I don't really like about it, is that I have my back turned to everyone else.

I also have a laptop that I use when I want to go mobile. Sometimes, I just HAVE to get out of the house. So, I normally go somewhere with a nice outdoor patio and have lunch while working.

18. bosslady2013

bosslady2013 New Member

I would love to have a actual office, right now its on the couch with my lap top. Or at the coffee table.

BusinessIdeas likes this.
  19. BusinessIdeas

BusinessIdeas Member

I work from home from my living room, but I also go to internet cafes to get out of the house and sit in their comfy gaming chairs. Top Tip lol

bosslady2013 likes this.