Discipline or Meditation..... or

Discussion in 'Productivity and Motivation' started by xeonkar007, Dec 25, 2007.

1. xeonkar007 New Member

Which is best and is better ..[IMG] [IMG]

is Discipline... i have seen a number of books which says with only Discipline life can be successful and all problems could be solved by it...

but somewhere i found that Meditation is the key to inner peace and happiness....

so whats up...

and they also say, Karma ( work ) is the main thing as ( as you sow , so shall you reap )

keep giving and giving without any expectations and then you will receive more than you expect...

well whats your choice and reasons for it... or do u have any other way...[IMG] [IMG]

let the game begin...
  2. aplina New Member

to me its atwo way thing. you need decipline to carry on doing the mediation . the two work hand in hand
  3. Vishal P. Rao Administrator

Discipline trains the mind - the source of pleasure, material wealth and sufferings.

Meditation is the means to connect to the consciousness - the source of true bliss. So you decide what you want [IMG]
  4. A8ch Gold Member

5. web20mentor New Member

It has been my experience that meditation will bring your mind the necessary peace it requires that will give you more clarity in your waking and working hours. Of course, if you have clarity and peace of mind...it becomes much easier to maintain an organized mind and follow through on things.

So I would have to say meditation would come first. Discipline is only difficult for the tired and cluttered mind. It comes easily for the calm mind.

Great topic! Thank you!
  6. A8ch Gold Member

The question essentially asks: "Which is better, discipline or meditation?"

It's a great topic indeed for provoking stimulating discussion, but one for which there is probably no absolutely definitive answer, in my opinion.

As a matter of fact it raises another insightful question: "Does it really matter?"

While discipline and meditation are two different different things altogether, their definitions show that each contains elements of the other...

Meditation: to engage in contemplative thought; to reflect; to plan in the mind; to intend.
    Discipline: behavior in accordance with rules of conduct; activity; exercise or a regimen that developes or improves a skill; training.

...and so, to accomplish one, you need to borrow elements from the other.

For example. Meditation requires concentrated focus (or non-focus); either way, deliberate effort is needed and that process involves a degree of discipline to be mastered.

Trying to determine which comes first parallels the chicken and the egg debate.

Since we all enjoy the gift of choice and free will, each of us will naturally favor (and be entitled to) our own interpretation and preference, in terms of the order. And nobody is right or wrong, it's simply one's own story!

In the final analysis, does it matter more how we reach our destination, or that we arrive?

Hermas
  7. free cash trek New Member

I think habits and routines are ultimately what dominate most of us. Much of what we do is on autopilot, because habits are so deeply ingrained.

If you have a routine or bad habit and want to break away, it probably takes a good 30 days, with a conscience effort to reform your subconscious thinking patterns. I find this is BIG challenge myself.