Discuss Squidoo Here

Discussion in 'Squidoo' started by Newbie Shield, Dec 6, 2007.

1. Newbie Shield

Newbie Shield Gold Member

brazil: I don't mind that you've asked. I have two Information Technology degrees and extensive formal training in music. I've taken several business and marketing courses, and I've been making money online since the late 90's.

I spend 40-80 hours a week on online marketing and related activities. I'm interested in the big picture as well as the trees. I learned about Squidoo in the same way that I learn about everything - I read and experimented a lot.

While I could make a lens in a few hours, I tend to spend several days creating each lens. I do a lot of research, testing, and tweaking on each lens topic. Though I love and value Squidoo, it's not my sole means of online income. I strongly believe in diversification and I am interested in trying out various ways to make money online.

Tantalus: Hi, I'm glad that you've found my posts helpful. You might check out my link to get some ideas on how to fancy up your lens. Your lens looks good so far. Can you be more specific about what sort of feedback you are looking for?

Money4Mommy: Thanx for the compliment. Your lenses are excellent. You are really turning out a lot in a short amount of time. You'll be a Giant Squid before you know it. Keep up the good work!

~Newbie Shield~

2. darkpriestess

darkpriestess New Member

My first lens just got creamed by another lensmaster so I'm not very happy at the moment! I do find it really frustrating but I'm not going to give up. Not sure where to go from here though, especially as the advice was to scrap it entirely!

3. Newbie Shield

Hi DP,

Sorry that happened. Would you feel comfortable providing the link? I'm sure that we can take a peak and offer some tips.

~Newbie Shield~

4. SteveC

SteveC New Member

Hi, I'm new to Squidoo. Put up my first lens on a random subject just to get used to how it all works.

I just watched a video tutorial by Travis Sago on how to put up a Squidoo lens.

Apparently this video is about a year old and there appear to have been a lot of changes since then but not necessarily for the better.

The version on the video has a really easy text editor to use so you can choose to use bold text simply by highlighting the text and clicking on the bold icon.

It looks very easy to include a link just by clicking on the link icon and putting the details into a box.

There doesn't seem to be any of these features now (or am I doing something wrong) and it seems the only way to do these things is by using html code.

I just wondered what the point is of making something that is supposed to be a very simple way for people to make their own "website" a lot more complicated to use rather than making it easier?

5. darkpriestess

darkpriestess New Member

Hi Newbie Shield,

Here it is: http://www.squidoo.com/making-money-56

Please be gentle!

6. Newbie Shield

Hi Priestess,

I joined your fanclub (I'm the electric guitar), rated, and favorited both of your lenses.

I think you're off to a good start with each lens.

With your W.O.W. lens be sure to include the full spelling of the game (World of Warcraft) from the start so there is no confusion in the beginning. I know it's apparent later in the lens, but you don't want to lose visitors when they first start to read.

You might also explain the focus of your lens a bit so visitors can decide if it's what they'd like to read about.

A little later, generate some more interest by explaining some exciting things about the game. You have to appeal to the emotions.

I would move the book and game Amazon modules before the other store modules. I would also include some text module in between each store module to introduce each module - including its value - and to break up the store modules.

Just put yourself in your visitor's shoes. What are they there for, what would excite them, and how will you satisfy the two?

For your "R.B." lens, your intro is fine. Below it you might include a text module that further explains what a visitor will find and how each program will be introduced.

With each program, you might explain what it is, why you like it, and how you've been successful with it. Add whatever you might like to see if you were a visitor.

With the matrix section, don't assume that everyone knows what a matrix is or the value of it. Explain it and your personal experiences with it first. Then go into the programs and why they are so great.

The traffic section is good but explain the importance of driving targeted traffic first.

Include a couple interactive bits such as a poll, a Video, etc or some images to better engage readers and to spice up the visuals a bit.

Good luck,

~Newbie Shield~

7. darkpriestess

darkpriestess New Member

Thanks so much Newbie Shield! Thats some fantastic feedback-I'll get on it right away. I've been slack with the world of warcraft lens in particular but I'm excited about it again now! And thats definitely a good point about the matrix section-sometimes I get so caught up in a particular topic I forget to explain what its about [​IMG]
    Your a champion *hugs* I feel much better now!

8. newbiz02

newbiz02 New Member

I dont like the way their adsense is integrated because i dont have alot of control over it.

9. ka7952

ka7952 New Member

Does anybody know how squidoo define the tier of ranks to determine the payout bonus?

I guess this information will be useful so that we know what number of ranking we should strive for.

Thanks.

10. redsadie

redsadie New Member

Hi NS

I wonder if you wouldn't mind posting your Squidoo link as it doesn't appear to be in your signature anymore?

I haven't set up a lens yet and would love to do it through with someone who has experience of it.

Many thanks

R

11. Newbie Shield

NewBiz: I interacted on your lens and joined your fanclub. I'm the electric guitar avatar. Nice job on the Project Payday Review lens.

I suppose that part of the price of a free page is allowing them to place the ads.

If it makes you feel any better, the layout is data driven, which means heat maps, A/B split testing, and other methods were used to maximize profits in regards to ad placements. I trust their judgement.

KA7952: It's all according to overall lensrank (as opposed to lensrank within a given category).

Though it may change, historically that coop side of the payout according to overall lens rank has been - from largest payout to smallest:

Tier 1: 1-1,999
    Tier 2: 2,000-9,999
    Tier 3: 10,000+

Actual payment varies according to total coop income and is sometimes modified according to biz expenses and misc items.

So, try to at least get your lenses under 10k overall rank for a few months each. Even better try to get them under the 2k mark for a while.

RedSadie: As much as I would like to help you with that, I am leaving my links out of my signature file for a while.

You can ask someone else if they will provide it for you. There are other ways of getting it but I won't reveal them myself. It isn't hard to figure out though ;)

Several folks have experience with Squidoo and I'd be happy to help you if you post questions.

Good luck and have fun. Squidoo is a blast.

~Newbie Shield~

12. A8ch

A8ch Gold Member

Newbie Shield: RedSadie: As much as I would like to help you with that, I am leaving my links out of my signature file for a while.

You can ask someone else if they will provide it for you. There are other ways of getting it but I won't reveal them myself. It isn't hard to figure out though [​IMG]
    Hi RedSadie,

I just want to point out that Newbie Shield
    is not being personal by not revealing
    his links, he's simply being principled
    and a man of his word. [​IMG]

You can access his squidoo how-to-lens here!

You'll find a wealth of information there.
    It ranges from simple to advanced and I
    suggest you take your time to study and
    assimilate it. I used it often for reference
    when I was building my first lens recently.

Hermas

13. redsadie

redsadie New Member

A8ch: Hi RedSadie,

I just want to point out that Newbie Shield
    is not being personal by not revealing
    his links, he's simply being principled
    and a man of his word.

You can access his squidoo how-to-lens here!

You'll find a wealth of information there.
    It ranges from simple to advanced and I
    suggest you take your time to study and
    assimilate it. I used it often for reference
    when I was building my first lens recently.

Hermas
    Hi Hermas

Thanks for your help [​IMG]

I know he wasn't being personal, I did manage to find him, I can be pretty resourceful sometimes [​IMG] [​IMG]

It's fantastic though, isn't it?! I'm trying to find out as much as I possibly can about how to make money online (as most on here!) adn I have to admit, although I have blogged with Blogger before, I've never heard of Squidoo!

I'm about to print it off so I can use it as an offline resource when I'm not here on my laptop, which admittedly isn't a lot, lol!!

It's a great community here and I'm so glad I found you all *hugs*

14. weblearner

weblearner New Member

hi Newbie Shield

i couldn't find your signature. i am very mutch interested about you.
    waiting your post.
    tutu

15. mountainmom5

mountainmom5 Gold Member

A8ch: You can access his squidoo how-to-lens here!
    Thanks Hermas and you are right - anyone can get it with the wonderful pm thingie.[​IMG]

How long are you going to wait before you put it back in your siggy, NS?? Need I get out my wooden spoon.[​IMG]

Oh, by the way, I have a really neat story for you on that... I had to take my youngest out for some 'mother/daughter talk time' and in the course of the talking, I mentioned that although I had not done so in over two years, it just MAY be time to dig out daddy's strap and she just shrugged and then I said, or moms wooden spoon, and I almost laughed out loud... her eyes got big as saucers and she was ready to make ammends right then and there... just had to tell you that.[​IMG]

16. Vishal P. Rao

Vishal P. Rao Administrator Staff Member

mountainmom5: Oh, by the way, I have a really neat story for you on that... I had to take my youngest out for some 'mother/daughter talk time' and in the course of the talking, I mentioned that although I had not done so in over two years, it just MAY be time to dig out daddy's strap and she just shrugged and then I said, or moms wooden spoon, and I almost laughed out loud... her eyes got big as saucers and she was ready to make ammends right then and there... just had to tell you that.
    That was very funny [​IMG]

17. robinincarolina

robinincarolina Silver Member

Lol, I used the wooden spoon as well when mine was small.

I think I am going to like this sqidoo thing once I get used to it. I am sure I will be back with questions.

18. mountainmom5

mountainmom5 Gold Member

robinincarolina: I think I am going to like this sqidoo thing once I get used to it. I am sure I will be back with questions.
    You will like it and Newbie Shield is the Squidoo Pro around here ... [​IMG]

19. Newbie Shield

mountainmom5: How long are you going to wait before you put it back in your siggy, NS??
    Hard to say. I think my point would be well-made if I waited until January. That would be a full year without a sig link.

Hermas was thoughtful and included it above right in this thread. Feel free to give it out when ever you like. If someone really wants to find it, they will.

mountainmom5: Need I get out my wooden spoon.
    Nooo! I promise I'll behave!

mountainmom5: or moms wooden spoon
    Way too funny [​IMG]

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Gullabo_Sweden_wooden_stirring_spoon.jpg

~Newbie Shield~

20. mountainmom5

mountainmom5 Gold Member

Newbie Shield: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Gullabo_Sweden_wooden_stirring_spoon.jpg
    Whoooaaa! Now THAT'S a spoon. Maybe for Paul Bunyan's kids, eh?? [​IMG]