Do Americans eat curry?

Discussion in 'Diet and Nutrition' started by southbank63, Oct 23, 2007.

1. southbank63

southbank63 New Member

I was just thinking about curry... [​IMG] (posted to another thread about curry and it just got me thinking.. curry does that to you[​IMG] )

So..as curry is the official dish of the UK.. wondered if Americans eat curry?

Never seen it on the telly...?

Just a thought.. ( really want a curry now!) Roll on Friday night!

(forgot to mention.. if you are british it is the law that you eat curry on Friday night after a few pints.. in the pub..[​IMG] just a little cultural meander...[​IMG]

2. southbank63

southbank63 New Member

...and curry is..? [​IMG]

3. JustLooking

JustLooking New Member

I really like curry. My brother in law is from England so he introduced us to it. It's great.

Drew

4. rcaman

rcaman New Member

Heck yeah....some Americans love curry....that is the kind of curry that I grew up on overseas. Is it the same as the curry you Brits love to eat? Potatoes, meat (chicken, pork, beef, mutton.etc) in a curry sauce?

5. wealthymarket

wealthymarket New Member

I LOVE CURRY!!! :-D Oh, and I'm American. [​IMG]

6. Couchie

Couchie New Member

Yum Curry, even Aussie's eat curry.
    Anything goes well in a curry, My mother inlaw would make a
    casserole one night then the next night add curry to any left overs
    and you had a different meal, well kinda, the kids didn't like it
    much, so I'm not aloud to make casseroles.

7. tidbits

tidbits New Member

Yes. Some Americans eat curry.

Curry is a great spice.

8. cybermommy

cybermommy New Member

I am having curry tonight!Its gorgeous!
    And the spicier the better [​IMG]
    Give me a chicken tikka samber and I am a happy girl lol

9. gailita

gailita New Member

I eat curry and I LOVE IT! I'm American/Barbadian [​IMG]

10. BillyPilgrim

BillyPilgrim New Member

Love curry, both Indian and Thai.

BP

11. angel

angel New Member

I love curry too. I've tried Indian, Thai and Japanese!

12. Newbie Shield

Newbie Shield Gold Member

I eat Indian and Asian curry on a regular basis. I love it.

I wish Southbank63 would drop by once in a while. I miss his sense of humor.

~Newbie Shield~

13. mcarroll

mcarroll New Member

OMG, I love curry chicken. When I lived in Alaska I befriended a Tibetan Woman that grew up in India and she would COOK, It was awesome, I wasn't the type to each spicy food. She make pot stickers and hot sauce that would give you a heart attack but my favorite dish was the curry chicken served over rice. I really wish I got the recipe for it. Now I'm craving it. Now I live in Arkansas and haven't found a good place yet.

14. Newbie Shield

Hi mcarroll,

Just Google the recipe.

For local restaurants, you may have to travel to the bigger cities to find a decent Indian place.

~Newbie Shield~

15. Nirvana

Nirvana New Member

I always wondered why the British love a good curry!

Does anybody know how this came to be? It's quite odd to me. You never really associate the Brits with curry.

lol

16. Vishal P. Rao

Vishal P. Rao Administrator Staff Member

Nirvana: I always wondered why the British love a good curry!

Does anybody know how this came to be? It's quite odd to me. You never really associate the Brits with curry.

May be their stay in India did the trick!

17. MamAtWork

MamAtWork New Member

Indians are the biggest minority population in the UK, and well, curry is just fantastic so it took off! Its now the national dish, having usurped the old fish and chips.

I am a curry addict and now, living in the US I can't get it half so easily and it kills me!

18. sashawk

sashawk New Member

You know what southbank63, I'm Canadian but I reckon this crosses the border:

Our British pubs in Toronto invariably have butter chicken or a curry dish of some sort on their menu. Moreover, in many cases the chef is Indian, and, as such, these are the best dishes on the menu!

Indian Food here is going neck-and-neck with Sushi and Thai/Vietnamese food for top foreign fair honours. It's everywhere and everyone is getting less and less leery of its pungencies.

Sasha

19. Phil Stones

Phil Stones New Member

Who mentioned Curry ! I guess it is curry for tea tonight but I'm following the points system on ww so guess I need to be really good ! no naan bread !

20. Newbie Shield

Phil,

By curry for tea, I hope you meant "tea time" rather than that you intend to drink curry, eek.

Try chai tea instead.

You can use diet soy milk (I like the Silk brand the best - plain flavor, reduced calorie).

Here's a link for chai:

http://www.culinaryteas.com/Masala_Chai.html

~Newbie Shield~