Do Americans eat curry?

Discussion in 'Diet and Nutrition' started by southbank63, Oct 23, 2007.

1. Julsy

Julsy New Member

OK can smeone please tell me what Curry even is???? I gather from the posts its spicy but what the heck is it????

Thanks

2. dani_nae

dani_nae New Member

I had a "mild" kind of curry years ago but I LOVED it!! my uncle is from Scotland and he made it for us. Definatly yummy.

All I remember was it was chicken and a bunch of other stuff. i think maybe we had some rice with it too?? It was so long ago I hardly remember!

3. Phil Stones

Phil Stones New Member

Newbie Shield: Try chai tea instead.

You can use diet soy milk (I like the Silk brand the best - plain flavor, reduced calorie).

Here's a link for chai:

http://www.culinaryteas.com/Masala_Chai.html

~Newbie Shield~

sorry - that sounds vile to me ! Yes I meant tea-time - or rather supper time!

4. Phil Stones

Phil Stones New Member

curry is simply like a stew or broth - but spiced up with gharam masala, coriander etc and really tasty - I can't believe you've never had curry! - we like veggie ones, but chicken, beef or lamb or very good over here in the good OL UK !

5. TheExecutive

TheExecutive New Member

southbank63: So..as curry is the official dish of the UK.. wondered if Americans eat curry?

This American objects not only to the foul-smelling (and bad-tasting) flavor / odor of curry, but also to that statement. [​IMG]

Curry is not a "dish", it is one of the worst spices that nature ever created. I know because in 1993, when I was renting a room from a Hindu landlady in New Jersey she always cooked using curry in her homemade meals. It would stink up the whole house! When she once offered me that "monkey stew" (my name for the food) and I tried it, it was so awful I then vowed never again to eat Indian food! (I didn't care for her choice of old-school Hindi music that she played on her tape deck either, which is why I moved after a year). [​IMG]

So maybe curry is popular among the Indian population in the UK, the USA, and other countries but we still haven't established what is the favorite food in the UK among the English? Is it kippers, krumpets, tea, or something else? (Tea is the only one among that group that I've consumed). [​IMG]

6. seeyalater72

seeyalater72 New Member

Don't eat curry too often anymore but I had a Jamaican roommate several years ago and he used to make curry chicken and even goat all the time. After reading this thread, I think all go by a Jamaican restaurant this evening for a little curry and maybe give my old roomy a call to see how he's doing.

7. Marti_n1

Marti_n1 New Member

No.I don't like the way it looks or smells. When I was visiting London, my friend who is an American expat, tried to get me to eat it, but I didn't like the look of it.

8. Dr_Boo

Dr_Boo New Member

I realize this is an old thread, but I have to put my 2 cents in. I freakin' LOVE curry! Over the years I have stuffed myself on many an Indian buffet.

One of my favorite and most addictive forms of curry is the "curry chips" found at a downtown pub here. It is chips (that's the British word for fries for my fellow Yanks [​IMG] ) covered in a British style curry sauce. The first few bites make you think "interesting... I think I like this", by the last bite you would stab your grandma to get a second order. Goes beautifully with a pint of Strongbow too.

I can see how not everyone in this country is into curry though. I was born and raised in one of the most ethnically diverse areas of the world (San Francisco Bay Area) and have been exposed to all sorts of foods like this all my life. My wife is from the Midwest and can attest to the fact that they are much less exposed to other cultures there and less open to trying foreign foods. There are exceptions of course, as my wife has become quite the curry fiend herself.

Damn, I'm hungry now... think I'll ditch work and grab a curry.

9. grantdmc

grantdmc New Member

Curry is popular amongst the greater majority of the people United Kingdom both white anglo saxon, white celtic, Indian, Pakistani and Afro Caribbean and many other cultures that we as a country are made up of. In fact its the white working classes who popularised curry on a Friday night after a beer. Most curry houses (that is what we Brits call them) in the UK are run by Bangladeshi people although some are run by Pakistani and Indian people. The British raj is somewhat responsible for our love of all things Indian and a lot of English worsd stem from this era: pyjamas, juggernaut (large lorry) bungalow (one storey house) etc.

By the way I am white celtic Brit - daughter of an Irish immigrant- lived in England all of my life and my anglo saxon husband and our friends (and just about everybody we know from a variety of culture) have an obligatory curry over the weekend accompanied by beer. Curry has now taken over from fish and chips as our national dish.

Curry is not foul smelling but a dish from the gods and I recommend you research our fantastic multicultural country before you make such sweeping statements.

10. AshleySullivan

AshleySullivan New Member

Yes we do. Remember there are Indian Americans, Chinese Americans and so on...

11. Margaretgc

Margaretgc Guest

I made a curry, apple, zucchini soup on Sunday for a family dinner, and it was a hit! The best part was that the wonderful curry smell stayed in my house all night - and part of Monday morning!

Let me know if anyone wants the recipe.

12. drbillphd

drbillphd New Member

Americans don't like curry so much. I have several friends who do, but their kind of weird. I like Indian curry, but don't like the Asian curry so much. I think it's just depends.

13. AshleySullivan

America is diverse. Asking if "we" like something is pointless. It's not like asking if the Germans or Italians like something because they fall into a particular type of culture. There is no such thing as an American culture.

14. CapMan

CapMan New Member

Most of you seem to think that curry is a single spice, or dish. Curry is not a spice it is a generic name for the type of food. There are hundreds, probably thousands, of different curries. The style varies depending on what region of India they are from, or if they are Persian, Pakistani, Bangladeshi or even Caribbean (i.e chicken jerk).

Ashley, that is incredibly generalising and incorrect about Italy and Germany, as with any nation the culture varies from region to region. The question is not implying that all Americans are the same, it is asking if, as it is in the UK, curry houses are as widespread as say McDonald's or Starbucks.

15. AshleySullivan

You obviously have not traveled across the U.S. It is nothing like any other country. There is a difference between culture and availability. If a family, living in America, practices a 'culture', it is not considered an American culture, it is considered one from that particular families heritage. There is no such thing as American culture.Curry is not a single spice, of course, but it does attempt to indicate the type of food, which is always consistent with certain spices.

16. Matt Zenittini

Matt Zenittini Silver Member

Dr_Boo: by the last bite you would stab your grandma to get a second order.
    I'm Telling. [​IMG]

17. ChristinaM

ChristinaM New Member

How is this related?

18. CapMan

CapMan New Member

So you while trying to disagree you have agreed entirely. I never said the whole of the US was the same. If you read the post it says that "as with any nation culture varies from region to region", and the certain spice idea is wrong.
    A Nepalese curry will not use the same spice as a Bangladeshi curry or a Burmese curry.

19. AshleySullivan

We like everything.

20. DBeavers

DBeavers New Member

Julsy: OK can smeone please tell me what Curry even is???? I gather from the posts its spicy but what the heck is it????
    Curry is actually a blend of spices. And depending on the blend it can range from mild to very hot. In the US, Curry powder is almost always a bright yellow, unless you find a specific variety.

Curry originated in the Far East and varies from country to country in blend and level of heat.

My wife will use the common yellow curry, putting a generous amount in the water to boil a whole chicken. Once it's done, you'll find the chicken has been turned yellow through and through.

She strips the chicken from the bone, then cooks up a pot of rice using the curry water left from boiling the chicken.

And going based on a Carribean version we enjoyed at the World's Fair in New Orleans several years ago, she'll heat up some Pinto Beans and spoon them over the bowl of Curried Chicken and Rice.

Now that makes a nutritious and tasty meal.

That's a very basic curry dish, and far removed from some of the fancier versions where they'll serve peanuts, mandarin orange slices, shredded coconut, chutney, and other toppings with the meal and allow each person to create their own dish.

Check out some of the recipes available online, and there's no telling what curry dishes you may find.

Dennis