Do I need writers insurance?

Discussion in 'Accounting and Legal Advice' started by Waylander, Oct 29, 2008.

1. Waylander

Waylander New Member

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum. I'm wanting to try freelance writing for assocaited content, helium etc. I'm wondering if anyone here is doing this already, and if anyone knows if I need public liability insurance to do this? I would love to write, but in the current legal climate I'm terrified about being sued over something I've written. I'm UK based.

many thanks!
  2. Newbie Shield

Newbie Shield Gold Member

Hi Waylander,

While the said insurance may be wise to have (you'll have to decide for yourself), it isn't a legal requirement for the majority of the writing projects.

Is that what you were wondering?

~Newbie Shield~
  3. Waylander

Waylander New Member

thanks for the reply. I was wondering if its worth the expense. a lot of the agencies are quite specific that they do not cover you , and if an action is brought against them for something you've written, you are culpable for all legal costs etc. this has made me a bit nervous!
  4. Newbie Shield

Newbie Shield Gold Member

Right, so is it worth it to you to pay for insurance or not?

The answer varies from individual to individual.

How much is having a peaceful mind worth to you?

Doing business costs money. You're the only one who can decide how to allocate your resources - in this case, money. What will you be buying and will it be worth it?

You and everyone else has limited resources in this game - time and money being the biggest resources. Skills, wisdom, and experience are quite valuable and "tapable" as well, though a bit less tangible.

Compared to the various things you could spend your hard earned money on, how high on the list is writer's insurance? If you intend to make money by writing for others, perhaps it is a justifiable expense.

I hope that helps :)

Best of luck,

~Newbie Shield~
  5. getagrip

getagrip Gold Member

I wouldn't worry about it too much, although whenever you write, you might want to ask yourself this question, "can someone take me to court for this?". That should keep you out of trouble, but its always best to be safe, rather than sorry, so its up to you if you want to get insurance. If it only cost something like $10 a month, it might be worth your while...