Do you offer a free e-book? What software do you use?

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by missredbud, Dec 13, 2008.

1. missredbud

missredbud New Member

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum and I'm really glad to have found it. I've learned a ton already.

I'm working on a site right now that will offer news and reviews of various products, mostly electronics.

I've seen lots of advice about adding free e-books to sites to obtain email addresses for further marketing, which I plan to do.

So, my question is, how many of you do this? Is is really helpful? Do you use an e-book creation software to do it, and if so, which one? I have looked at several online; some are less than $50, and some are a lot more. I would like to have a classy-looking e-book to offer, but can't afford to spend a huge amount, either. Any advice?

Thanks for your help.

Diana
  2. Newbie Shield

Newbie Shield Gold Member

Hi Diana,

I use Adobe Acrobat Professional.

It's a tad pricey compared to other options but being that I am a computer geek I like to go with an industry de facto when ever I have the option. I also like the additional capabilities of the said program.

You can convert files to .pdf for free online. You should also be able to find free cover makers as well.

Here is a link to a thread on our forum that discusses different ways of converting a file to .pdf:

Creating a PDF file to distribute as a Free Report

Good luck,

~Newbie Shield~
  3. BillyPilgrim

BillyPilgrim New Member

Hey! Billy's back! After my long time away I'm back to finally offer MY free ebook about article marketing. I just wrote it myself and put it into PDF. I'm wondering now if I should put a fancy ebook cover on it or just offer it as is.
    Buddy
  4. Newbie Shield

Newbie Shield Gold Member

Hi Buddy,

It's good to see you back. I missed interacting with you. Glad you finished your eBook!

I'd definitely add a nice cover. Looking forward to reading it.

~Newbie Shield~
  5. A8ch

A8ch Gold Member

Welcome back Buddy!

We are told that we shouldn't judge a book by its cover, but it's practically impossible not to register some impression when we see one. So, by all means, go with a fancy 3D cover for your ebook. It can be a powerful incentive.

Hermas
  6. mountainmom5

mountainmom5 Gold Member

Hey great to have you back!

I do use a free ebook and it costs me 19.95 a month for the use of the back office campaign manager and autoresponder system, tracking and all...I think it is a great plus to have a free tool on your site.[​IMG]
  7. malibumentor

malibumentor New Member

You should have a decent-looking cover picture for
    the e-book or report. You can have a freelancer make
    one for a few bucks or get some software and do it
    yourself. I use Laughingbird software's Web Graphics
    Creator which is a little dated but still works good and
    it's an inexpensive stand-alone product that helps you
    do the graphic design and the e-cover rendering.

As far as the actual ebook you will need a PDF generator.
    OpenOffice.org is free, though a bit bloated. Wordperfect
    makes PDFs but the graphics are a pain to lay it out.
  8. missredbud

missredbud New Member

Thanks for all your replies, I appreciate the information. I'm definitely going to look into doing an e-book of some kind.