Do you really need supplements?

Discussion in 'Health' started by Vishal P. Rao, Feb 14, 2010.

1. melanow

melanow New Member

melanow: "A small number of differences in nutrient content were found to exist between organically and conventionally produced foodstuffs, but these are unlikely to be of any public health relevance," said Alan Dangour, one of the report's authors.

I think you miss the whole point of my post, If organic is only a little more nutrition, then what is the point of using only organic. We are not missing just a little nutrition, we are missing a whole lot of nutrition

melanow: I read an article a few months ago from a government website, I think it was maybe the F.D.A. but I'm not sure.
    But it said that to get the same nutrition from 1 cup of spinach in 1950, you would have to eat 49 cups of spinach today.
    And furthermore you didn't answer my question:

melanow: Do you use all toxin free consumables in your home?

You are taking statements out of context instead of looking at the whole article.

2. ChristinaM

ChristinaM New Member

I think it is important to supplement with vitamins because it helps 'complete you'.

3. ryanbiddulph

ryanbiddulph New Member

Eat all natural foods and you don't probably don't need supplementation unless you're a bodybuilder or high level athlete.

I used to swear by supplements; bodybuilder and former physique model here. I still work out but get all my nutrients from vegetables, fruits, beans, and nuts. I've pretty much went vegetarian and never feel deficient. That being said I really load up on these things: 2-3 servings a day of God's foods.

Everybody's body is different. I feel that you if you eat a diet heavy in fruits and veggies along with nuts, beans, and other pure protein sources you should have most bases covered.

4. melanow

melanow New Member

ryanbiddulph

ryanbiddulph: That being said I really load up on these things: 2-3 servings a day of God's foods.
    Which one of your "God's foods" gives you calcium and vitamin D.

5. treevee

treevee Member

melanow: Which one of your "God's foods" gives you calcium and vitamin D.
    I'd like to answer that one --
    Calcium: bok choy, broccoli, collards, Chinese cabbage, kale, mustard greens, brussel sprouts, turnip greens, spring greens, seaweeds, acorn squash, amaranth, tahini, almonds, dried figs, watercress and okra, etc..

When you realize that there is as much or more calcium in 3/4 cup of collard greens as there is in one cup of cow's milk. And, let's face it, the milk industry is up FDA's butt so far they can tell what they ate for dinner 2 nights ago!

Vitamin D: Sunshine 1/2 - 1 hour per day, depending on the time of year.

melanow - Where do you get your calcium and Vit. D from?

melanow: If organic is only a little more nutrition, then what is the point of using only organic.
    Conventional produce harms not only our bodies but also our planet. 3 lab-produced minerals are added to the soil. Organic farming uses natural fertilizers with many more minerals. Vitamins our bodies can make (except for Vit B12); minerals are a lot harder to come by. We need minerals and trace minerals more than ever these days. I will never believe for a second that organic is just a tad more nutritious or equal to conventional. Look at the source from that study, most likely it can trickle back to the FDA!

Vishal P. Rao: By eating junk food and taking supplements, you are only encouraging the trend. Eat organic and demand organic. Eat wholesome food. Say no to white. It might be expensive at first but when it becomes mainstream, it'll become cheaper. Think the other way, you don't think twice spending $300 on an expensive gadget but you abstain from paying $20 extra for that organic food. Organic food not only will make you healthy, but organic farming will also save this planet.
    YES! I try to tell family and friends that if we start supporting the organic farmers, where we are not only getting the nutrients we need, we aren't getting all the toxins -- prices will go down. Plus, we will be helping our environment. Priorities for spending money have to be shifted. Spend a few more dollars on the food and save a bundle on the sick-care (aka health care) in the future.

Thousands of years prior to the last 50 years, there was no such thing as processed foods! You went to the market to buy the stuff to make stuff to eat, not just buy the stuff to eat. Our digestive systems haven't had the right adjustment time through the generations of genetically modifying this change.

The biggest deal is, we are not being able to assimilate nutrients from food and definitely not from lab-produced supplements. Our colons, livers, skin, and kidneys (organs of elimination) are so clogged up with toxins that are screwing everything up, causing such an overweight, undernourished society of today. (Cooked foods are regarded as a toxic substance by our bodies!) We are an Rx generation which also hinders the absorption of nutrients while damaging all functions of our organs.

Instead of taking that multi or herbal remedy or mineral (most minerals sold in the marketplace are made from rock --- do you think that your body is meant to digest rocks?), try going on a raw food diet detox, get those toxins out that are clogging and wreaking havoc on our systems then stick to the diet (at least 80% raw) and you'll need not worry about being nutrient-deficient or diseased, for that matter.

6. Vishal P. Rao

Vishal P. Rao Administrator Staff Member

7. weebitty

weebitty Member

I just received this in my e-mail and thought I would share it with you all here since the subject is supplements. It is important to know what it is you need first before going on a regiment. My husband is defiecent in Vitamin D (per blood work) but you wouldn't know it any other way. So we have upped him to 3,000 units a day we keep upping it every blood test. We started out with 1,000. So I know about these tests and they are necessary. Going raw and growing your own is also good and preferred but the ground is so lacking in nutrients the plants can't get it anymore either. You kind of have to rebuild the soil as well.

Facebook: facebook.com/suzycohenrx
    Twitter: twitter.com/suzycohen
    Dear Pharmacist, May 8, 2010
    Micronutrient Testing: Find Out if You Are Deficient in Vitamins & Minerals
    Alternate: Vitamins & Mineral Levels Can Easily Be Measured

I started taking 5 new supplements but I've been noticing occasional butterflies in my chest, hair loss, heartburn and muscle twitching. I think it's related to my vitamins because when I stop them, the symptoms goes away. Should I stop? --T.E., Manhattan

Answer: Yes, and then find out what specific nutrients your body need -don't just use a shotgun approach. I've been very supportive of nutraceuticals over the years, but moderation is key. The problem is that most doctors don't know how to test a patient for nutrient deficiencies, so you are forced to guess what you need. Misinformation abounds.

Nutritional deficiencies can actually be tested with special "micronutrient" blood tests. There are three tests that I've taken myself: "Comprehensive Nutritional Panel" by SpectraCell Labs, "NutrEval" by Genova Diagnostics and the "Cardio/ION" from Metametrix. Practitioners with appropriate health licensure can become providers with these companies and order tests immediately

Why the big deal? I'm talking to doctors now: Your patients are taking vitamins, minerals and antioxidants behind your back and they email me seeking guidance "because my doctor doesn't believe in vitamins!" If your patients are supplementing indiscriminately, they could be harmed. You can help them with micronutrient testing. Here are some examples which demonstrate the value of the information provided by this type of testing:
    Zinc- A trace mineral. Too much can cause metallic taste sensations, nausea and copper deficiency. Too little could cause shortness of breath, hearing loss, infertility and prostate/erectile problems.

Copper- A trace mineral. Overload is sometimes tied to use of estrogen drugs or low zinc levels. It can lead cause migraines, mental racing, anxiety, depression, frequent colds and interestingly, chocolate or avocado cravings. Deficiency can cause anemia, fatigue, arthritis and reproductive problems.

L-Serine- An amino acid. Deficiencies are sometimes related to a rare metabolic disorder and have been associated with cerebral palsy, epilepsy, seizures, stiffness/weakness or muscles. Excessive serine can cause immune suppression or psychological symptoms.

Vitamin K- A vitamin that you need to keep from bleeding to death as it allows blood to clot. An excess can cause health problems, as the liver can only store so much of it. Inadequate K results in bleeding gums, easy bruising, bone loss and higher cancer risk.

Niacin- A "B" vitamin. Too much causes diarrhea, itching or nervousness. Deficiencies may be associated with high cholesterol, indigestion, burning mouth syndrome, canker sores, fatigue or anemia.

Glutathione- An antioxidant. Too much can cause stomach upset, but more often, a person has too little which may contribute to liver damage, joint pain, neurological symptoms like Parkinson's and higher cancer risk.

Glutamine- An amino acid which protects the brain and gut. Having too much is rare. Low glutamine however, can lead to leaky gut, food allergies, Crohn's disease, poor wound healing, skin rashes and arthritis.

Did You Know?
    A new study proves that women can slash their risk of stroke by 30 percent, just by walking two hours each week
    Much MoreWebsites we likeAsk totalhealthAnswersSite MapHome > The 24-Hour Pharmacist

8. infomaniac

infomaniac New Member

I take zinc for skin and hair, and glucosamine for my joints as I had a bout of Ross River Fever a couple of years ago which still plays havoc with my joints. I notice the difference when I stop taking them for awhile.

9. milasports

milasports New Member

The body will absorb more vitamin C from an apple than a 1500mg pill of vitamin C.

eat healthy my friends!

10. Paul DArcy

Paul DArcy New Member

Eating healthily is definitely the best place to start. I agree with that...

Certain people are deficient in certain areas of their nutrition. The best and most obvious answer to that is to eat better.

-But as a few others have said -Elite level athletes just can't ingest every little thing they need -so for them -supplementation is a wise and efficient investment.

But here's food for thought...

What is the difference between Elite level athletes and various professions that require high levels of performance?

The stress of a high level corporate attorney may be even greater than the stress a professional athlete endures. -There is no 'off-season' for a high profile corporate attorney...

...not saying they have the same needs nutritionally ...but think about it for a bit.

The attorney probably gets no exercise -has a poor diet and is under extreme stress and pressure...

He/she might need a little help in the nutrition department..

~jus' say'n

11. EMiller

EMiller New Member

I also agree it is best to eat whole foods, organic if you can but at least clean your store bought vegies due to the fact pesticides are usually oil based and will stay on all season.

I am lucky and have a small farm. I do use a little chemical fertilizer but no pesticides.

I also believe our farmlands are depleted of essential trace minerals so supplementation makes sense for me. You should also make sure your supplements are being absorbed. Most will pass on to the toilet.

Restructured alkaline antioxidant water absorbs 5 times more effectively than regular water and will also allow vitamins and minerals to absorb efficiently at the cellular level.

12. Forex Charts

Forex Charts New Member

I really need supplement for my health.
    It has everything that our body need. But our regular food doesn't
    full fill our body need.
    So really need the supplement everyday....
    It was prescribed by my doctor ....

13. bing

bing New Member

Prawnsize: I follow a vegan diet and don't take any supplements. But I did spend quite a lot on blood tests to make sure that my body has everything it needs!
    This is great.

I currently take calcium supplement as I am a breastfeeding mom. I make it sure that the supplements I take are organic. Sometimes I check if company uses organic fertilizers.

In the near future, I'm planning to go raw foods and I hope to get rid of supplements by then.

Regarding ASSIMILATION mentioned by TJ.. are you guys familiar with urine therapy?

14. solbdit

solbdit New Member

I have my husband on red yeast rice for elevated cholestral and it is working. They wanted to put him on statins. I told his doctor no way!!! not in this life time

James Eckburg likes this.
  15. Dbldiamond54

Dbldiamond54 New Member

I have a thorough collection of herbs and spices and incorporate that into my cooking. I know that it may not cover all the needs but I am bad at remembering to swallow a pill or drink a tonic. Also with incorporating it with cooking it is spread out during digestion and doesn't just pass through the water pipe.

16. RICH4NURICHE

RICH4NURICHE New Member

Live Whole Foods are the best you can get. The way it was created in nature is the way your body should and will use it. It is balanced, organic and in the right amounts. Heat and time are the natural enemies of our food so it should be kept at under 100 degs. Supplements is a general term but most, if not all, of the "supplements" that are on the shelves on the stores are useless. I use something that has 30 fruits, 30 vegetables and a whole lot more that comes in a powder form with absolutely no artificial substances added. Do you really need supplements? Well, it depends on what your definition of supplements is.

James Eckburg likes this.
  17. anderson78

anderson78 New Member

I don't take supplements at home, however I travel a lot and when I am traveling I uses a multi vitamin as well as D and C. I do not know if it is a placebo affect or actually works but it seems to keep me from being sick. When I travel some times I am in a bus with 12 other people for up to 12 weeks. Its the ultimate petri dish haha. When one person on the bus gets sick almost everyone catches it. When people start getting sick I just double my D and add echinacea. IT really seems to work.

Wow that was more then I intended to write originally...

Anyways, anyone who is interested in the topic of supplements and whole foods should check out a documentary called "Forks over Knives" Very Interesting documentary on foods and their effect on the body produced by a couple of doctors from the Cleveland Clinic.

Cheers!
    John.

18. TJamMoneyMan

TJamMoneyMan Well-Known Member

I do believe the issue of supplements or not, organic or not, is far from being settled, if it ever will be. But there are some things that I feel need to be considered in addition to what has already been mentioned.

Getting food from the farm to the table is quite a journey, and it's pretty much impractical to expect there to be no loss in nutritional value along the way.

We live in a modern hi-tech society, without which refrigerated food and other conveniences we take for granted simply wouldn't exist. And many other options for healthy eating we also take for granted wouldn't be available either...

The ways we live, big cities with their problems, hi-tech pollution issues and all the rest, are a part of this modern reality.
    Organic food is a great option but it has to be far more accessible than it currently is if it is indeed to become a practical solution - especially for the financially stressed and large city populations.
    Only the elite among us can afford $2 apples!

Finally, no one has mentioned the reality of AGING and the role that supplements may play in that scenario.
    I really don't think it's possible to get the supplements that aging people could possibly benefit from, just by eating healthy and whole foods.
    And of course, our aging population is growing now greater than ever before so this will be an unavoidable and growing concern.

Clearly, at least SOME people will have to experiment with supplements.
    Everyone will also have to learn how to eat as healthfully as possible.
    Organic farmers will have to find a way to meet the needs of the modern world we live in.

One day we may understand this all much better, but for now we seem to be feeling around in the dark...