Does Goal Setting Really Work?

Discussion in 'Productivity and Motivation' started by kingsway, Aug 29, 2013.

1. kingsway

kingsway New Member

Hi all, i wanted to ask this question because goal setting i think is conditioned into our way of life as the only way to move forward and make progress in life. While it is good to improve yourself and the circumstances around you but is goal setting always the right way to go about it?

For example, a lot of people who set goals a lot of the time are frustrated and discontented with where they are in life and don't seem to be happy until they reach their goal. Then they can't sit still for 2 minutes to enjoy what they have achieved because they have yet another goal to run after and i think it causes this problem of always trying to 'get someplace else' so they can't enjoy where they are at in life at this moment in time.

Who we are turning into on the way to achievement? Because if i am becoming a difficult person to be around and can't talk to anyone because i'm so goal focused is goal setting helping me or turning me into someone that i'm not?

If what i am going after is turning me into a person that i like i don't call that progress i call it a waste of my time and too big a price to pay.

Why do we constantly have to be on a treadmill of 'getting someplace else' and wearing yourself out in the process and still not being fulfilled?

All the best...:)

2. Art

Art Member

I've heard a story about the graduating class of Harvard a few decades ago... They interviewed the whole class straight after they graduated and again 20 years later. What they found out was that the 3% of the graduates that had specific goals set up for their life were worth more in financial terms than the other 97% combined! That is the Power of Goal Setting!
    Good luck,
    Art

swampqueen32 and payment proof like this.
  3. A8ch

A8ch Gold Member

While goals serve go keep us focused on a specific objective, they are really nothing more than a way for us to measure our progress.

I believe the pursuit of the goal is ultimately more important than the goal itself, because it's in the pursuit that we discover who we really are and what we are made of, and that's the stuff that contributes to what we become. That stuff has much more intrinsic and lasting value than any singular goal we could ever attain.
    Hermas

4. payment proof

payment proof Active Member

I personally like a mix of short term and long term goals. Setting daily goals for myself helps me to achive more and keeps me motivated in my daily routine. Setting longer term goals keeps me moving ahead towards the bigger picture.

CKC likes this.
  5. Art

Art Member

Yes, it is Very Important to have short and long term goals and also to review them as often as possible! I review my goals daily! I do it to push my focus in the right direction each and every day... You should try it ;)

Shellon and payment proof like this.
  6. bluetexas

bluetexas Member

I didn't start accomplishing anything until I began setting goals. (y)

CKC and payment proof like this.
  7. happywife

happywife Gold Member

I understand where you are coming from, kingsway. I think your real issue isn't so much with goal setting as it is with a lack of wisdom and balance in life.

The Bible says that where there is no vision the people perish. Having sensible goals that are based on realistic expectations and a balanced life is very wise. It keeps you focused on the right path.

A goal doesn't have to be the achieving of another higher pinnacle. It can instead be a goal of achieving balance between family and work, etc.

Knowing what kind of person you want to be and what your priorities in life ought to be is a good foundation for determining/setting wise goals that lead you to that end.

Blessings,
    Angie

payment proof likes this.
  8. Joe Dalio

Joe Dalio New Member

It's a great question, but I believe goals are absolutely necessary. Without goals, it's like shooting for the bulls eye without knowing where the target is. More importantly, it's about focus. When you keep your mind fixed on the goal and have faith that you can achieve it, any obstacles that come along (and they will come along) can be easily defeated. Instead of focusing on those obstacles and letting them defeat you, you can keep your eyes on the goal and keep going until you get there. I hope this helps. That was my goal : )

9. swampqueen32

swampqueen32 Member

I agree, Angie.
    I definitely believe in setting goals...otherwise, why try? However, I feel that some people set unattainable goals for themselves, then spend their lives in desperation, because nothing works. Sure, it doesn't hurt to aim for the stars, but I've seen too many people fall by the wayside in disillusionment.

For some people, simply reaching the goal of putting food on their table day after day, is success. I'm one of those people. I believe the Lord allows us to have what He sees fit. Nothing more, nothing less.

Kingsway, I'm delighted to see that you don't want your road to success to change the person that you already are. :)

10. sriz

sriz New Member

Yeah it is true that while running after a goal people tend to forget their individual life and consider their goal as their life but it doesn't means that a person would be able to enjoy his/her individual life if he has no goal to achieve. Some people find satisfaction in achieving their goals and they enjoy their life at fullest, they are the happiest person. Some people are fun lovers and don't believe in focusing on a target. They are also happy because fun is the real goal they have set whereas some people are on a verge of this two they try to set goal but they don't work enough to accomplish it and they are fun lover too but how would they enjoy their goals still remains unaccomplished.

Understanding Goal Setting

11. robinincarolina

robinincarolina Silver Member

I don't think of it in terms of goals, but vision setting. I have a vision of how I want my life to be. I don't have a goal of say, I will be a millionaire in 5 years or anything like that. I hold that vision in my heart and mind and it seems the path just opens. I don't have a set way to get there, for part of my vision is to have a glorious journey!

The obstacles that Joe speaks of can often be a sign or signal to change the path of getting to your goal or vision. Obstacles are great teachers and often opportunities in disguise.

12. Katie322

Katie322 New Member

I tend to live in the moment. That can be a good and bad thing I guess. It depends on what's going on your life at the moment. I do have small goals I set daily (usually income wise). :) I've gotten really good at spotting loose change on the ground. LOL. Thanks for the interesting read.

13. Shellon

Shellon New Member

Art,

I agree with your statement-- I do it to push my focus in the right direction--. A builder needs THE plan to stay focus and refer to daily, if not hourly, to make sure he or she is on the right path. How can one build without a plan!?

14. whitney black

whitney black Member

Goal setting definitely works, the secret is to set small reachable goals. You really can't fail as long as you baby step your way to success!

15. SandyAaj

SandyAaj New Member

Always remember too that the trip you have ahead matters more than the destination. You need goals to keep you moving, to set some direction, to make sense of where you're currently at and where you want to be. But you must never lose yourself in the process of achieving that goal.

So yeah, set realistic goals and gradually aim for higher goals. Be optimistic but have a plan B (and C, or D, and so on) in case things don't work out - because they always do and they always don't one way or another. The key is to just keep reaching for it while making the most of the experiences along the way.

A8ch likes this.
  16. Anders J

Anders J Member

Goals or visions. Know where you want to be is all essential of being creative and wanting to grow.

If you do not integrate you desintegrate so yes they should work if not you should study why!

You were born rich is avilable on youtube or my site.

Think it, feel it and do it. It works all the time. Hold the image in in your mind, believe and expect to get there and you will.

17. JRack

JRack New Member

Absolutely it does!!!!

So I have been doing a goal system for about 8 years now and it has yet to fail me. Long term goals I have written up on a white board on my wall so that they stare me in the face everyday.

First thing when I wake up I write down 5 short term goals for the day to keep me on track, even simple things. This has led me to not only achieve great jobs in the work force, but has now led me to making passive income from home and keeps me on track daily!

In short yes, write down your goals!

18. redoxpower

redoxpower New Member

Well my friend, that is a very interesting question. Your allusion to the treadmill implies that you are not going anywhere even when you reach those goals. Moving in actual space allows for growth. Enjoy the smell, the colours, the people and the feeling you share with them and you will see for yourself. The journey itself is the pleasure when achieving those goals. Missing that makes you feel like you do. That's not cool. Rediscover your core values and your WHY. Then go back being the achiever you are and make sure you enjoy the journey as well.
    Peace

Keith Worboys likes this.
  19. Kyle.S.

Kyle.S. New Member

Goal setting can be both good and bad, just like you said Kingsway. Many people pursue goals that they think will bring about some kind of "status" or similar and once they are accomplished they have a hard time feeling happy because they don't get that feeling they were expecting to get when achieving their goal.

I believe there are two main parts of goal setting that people neglect, which ultimately causes those negative consequences that get associated with setting goals. The first part is having a vision. So many people pursue the material aspects of their success and neglect to look at the bigger picture. While the material things DO come with success, if that's all people focus on they get that feeling of needing to chase after another goal to feel fulfilled. Developing a vision allows you to create an ideal about what your future will look like, the number of people you will be impacting, and the values you will uphold. Setting goals that are inline with your vision of the kind of person you will become will help you make sure you don't become someone you don't want to be like.

The second part of goal setting that I believe people miss is the journey of pursuing that goal in the first place. If there is a big goal to hit, we sometimes forget to break it down into smaller bite-sized pieces along the way. Accomplishing smaller goals help you remain accountable to your larger goal and will give you the small victories along the way that will encourage you to remain in the pursuit.

Remember, it's the journey not the destination that makes the trip worthwhile.

Just2EZ and A8ch like this.
  20. PeterMFL

PeterMFL Active Member