Domain Spies

Discussion in 'Profit Lance' started by birdgirl, Dec 21, 2008.

1. birdgirl

birdgirl New Member

I've had a hunch that when you are searching to see if a domain is avialable and it is, you should buy it straight away, if you really want it. Because if you don't then you might lose it to someone spying on your search.

I found a great domain name, that had loads of key word search traffic 9000 searches a month and it had high advertising competition, clicks for position 1-3 costing $4.

My plan was to use it for adsense.

Don't ask my why, but I didn't buy it last night (it was available). I slept on it, cause I wasn't feeling well.

Anyway I went to buy it today and guess what - its gone. Some dotcom reseller agent bought it and he is selling it for ??5000.

What a sting and so slimy.

This confirms my hunches, but does anyone know for sure if this is what goes on?

Live and learn I suppose.

Birdgirl
  2. leealexis

leealexis New Member

birdgirl:

don't get discouraged! here's my suggestion:

say your keywords is "gadget".

now.. gadget.com is gone.

you can still go for..

gadget101.com

gadget-review.com

everythinggadget.com

bestgadget.com

Just include the keyword in the domain.. for some reasons Google ranks site with keyword in the domain.

OF course.. you must have OK articles on it too . [​IMG]

hope this helps
  3. Newbie Shield

Newbie Shield Gold Member

Hi Birdgirl,

Sorry that happened to you. I'm sure it's possible to let others do that sort of research and then swoop in to grab the good results.

Only difficulty would be sorting through the junk searches, which is what most would actually be.

Creating such a technology would require a fairly sophisticated program. It would have to contain quite a few conditional statements, advanced capturing and tracking capability, and sorting abilities to name a few requirements.

It would also be illegal and the consequences would likely be hard to swallow.

How do you suppose they would set up tools to weed out the junk and focus on the gems from search results? I can think of a few minor ways but the ways I have in mind would only cut out some of the queries.

If you were tired, there's a good chance that you misspelled the domain name or that you did something else different than you remember.

Did you take notes on the exact URL that you chose? Is it possible that you chose a different extension such as .net or that you placed dashes in between each word, or did something a little different than you remember doing?

Whether or not that is the case, try looking for .com, .net, .org, and .biz. Try putting a dash in between each word of the URL. You might find that one of them is still available.

If that fails, try adding a 1, an a, or a dash right before the extension.

If that fails, try a different extension. There are lots of extensions available.

Let me know how it goes.

~Newbie Shield~
  4. happywife

happywife Gold Member

It probably depends on the program you were using to search for the availability of the domain.

There are a number of those programs that are set up so that when you run a check on a domain name and it comes up available, if you don't purchase it right away, they are able to reserve it for several days so that it becomes unavailable.

It doesn't sound like that is what happened to you, since you say they are now offering it for such a high sum.

However, I will send you a free search tool via pm that you can use to do your domain name searches as well as a whole heap of other useful tools. It's called SearchIt and it only uses domain namer tools that have been tested to be sure they are 'safe.'

I sympathize with you. When I purchased chocolate-candy-mall.com a few years ago, the unhyphenated version was available too. I didn't buy it immediately, and when I went back a few weeks later to purchase and park it, someone else had purchased it and was offering it for $1500. [​IMG] As if I'd actually pay that!

Anyway, they have never done anything with it, but I suspect they probably get traffic from searchers looking for my site that they get adsense income from. It's annoying, but nothing I can do about it.

The price has come down over the last 2 years. I think it's currently at $350. More power to them! [​IMG]

Blessings,
    Angie
  5. A8ch

A8ch Gold Member

birdgirl: I've had a hunch that when you are searching to see if a domain is avialable and it is, you should buy it straight away, if you really want it. Because if you don't then you might lose it to someone spying on your search.
    You've probably heard the saying: "The early bird catches the worm." If ever the domain name you really want is available, you should grab it immediately to avoid losing it, because...

(a) someone else could be considering that domain and act on it before you
    (b) you could miss out to someone trying to game the system

birdgirl: does anyone know for sure if this is what goes on?
    I'm sure it does.

Here's a look at a few interesting things that occur with domain names:

Domain Tasting - This is where someone registers a domain name primarily to test its potential for generating traffic. They take advantage of the 5-day grace period within which they can get a full refund if they decide the domain is not worth it.

Domain Front Running - In this situation the domain name registrar uses insider information (such as a domain search on their Web site) to reserve a domain. This locks out any other registrar from selling the domain for the same 5-day "domain tasting" period.

NetworkSolutions, one of the original ICANN accredited registrars, was slapped with a class action law suit for this controversial practise. If you did a search on their site for a domain, they would immediately register the domain in their name. This way, if you tried to register the domain through a different registrar it would show as unavailable. You'd have to get it from NetworkSolutions or forget it... at least for 4 days. That's when they'd release the domain.

Domain Kiting - This is how some people abuse the 5-day grace period to avoid actually paying domain registration. By registering a domain for 5 days, then getting a refund and repeating the process, they can effectively extend access to a domain for as long as they want.

And so it goes...

Hermas
  6. birdgirl

birdgirl New Member

Well thank you so much to everyone. You know I have to say that this is such a generous forum. As someone banging my head at this, still trying to figure it out, I wish I had more to offer back. In time I hope I can. Hopefully my comments are of value to others at a similar level to me.

Also on one of my last posts " A year and a half on" many of you who responded to this, responded in that post, and I can heartily say it was of tremendous help, and because of it, I went back and kind of relearned everything and that is why I have so much more understanding about finding profitable niches, how to identify better keyword phrases and so on.

I would recommend every newbie, or those who are a bit a long and feeling frustrated and defeated to revisit the profit lance material. You will pick up so much more again.

I've learn another lesson and even though I lost out, I feel that my success in this is going to take a leap.

Thank you everyone for your advice and recommendations.

Wishing everyone a lovely, peaceful and prosperous future.

Birdgirl
  7. Newbie Shield

Hi BirdGirl,

You're quite welcome. It was an extra pleasure to help you because you work so hard. I know you are very dedicated.

I think your comments are definitely valuable. I think that you know a bit more than you think you do ;)

I'm sure you'll do well - best wishes.

Let us know how the new site goes.

~Newbie Shield~
  8. 040107

040107 Member

birdgirl: I've had a hunch that when you are searching to see if a domain is avialable and it is, you should buy it straight away, if you really want it. Because if you don't then you might lose it to someone spying on your search.

I know how you feel. Had that happened to me a few times.

I wasn't using any software, just the domain search on a popular
    domain lookup site.

Oh well![​IMG]
  9. Newbie Shield

Hi 040107,

Did you get my PM? If not, I'll send it again.

~Newbie Shield~
  10. matth763

matth763 New Member

Same thing happened to me. I thought i was just mistaken until i read the posts!!

Anyways..good luck everyone and merry christmas!!!
  11. birdgirl

birdgirl New Member

Yes, thank you Newbie Shield, I thought you knew I did because I PM'd you too?

Hope your holidays were good.

[​IMG]

Ignore this. Just realised you were talking to 040107

Birdgirl