Don't rely on Google!

Discussion in 'Website Promotion' started by ironoutthegrind, Mar 19, 2013.

1. Hello Everyone, :)

I have been getting a lot of questions about how to get on the 1st page of Google. Well, obviously this would be great if you can do it but please don't just rely on this for traffic.

Now, I feel understanding SEO is very important but I see so many people that JUST rely on this for traffic.

If you do this, you are not setting yourself up for long term success.

Especially, if your in a competitive niche, you can literally drive yourself crazy trying to get on page 1 of Google and take all your focus away from other means of traffic.

I just wanted to send a reminder that in order to have a healthy online business you need a mixture of different traffic methods.

Don't put all your eggs in one basket.

Have a blend of quality methods of obtaining traffic will help set you up for long term success.

Hope this helps...

To your ultimate success, :)

Kevin

Jesse South and payment proof like this.
  2. A8ch

A8ch Gold Member

Wise advice!

While getting to the first page of Google might get you heavy traffic for your optimized search term, you really have no control over how long it will last.

Historically, Google has tweaked their algorithm whenever they felt the need to filter pages they believe gamed their system to get an unfair advantage. Google calls these tweaks updates and distinguishes them with names like "Penguin" and "Panda".

Whenever these updates occur, tens of thousands of web pages that achieved their ranking legitimately, invariably get caught in the shuffle and are unfairly downgraded. For many marketers and SEO providers that's well-spent time, effort and money down the drain, and for them it's back to square one.

There are many other traffic-getting methods besides Google that give you much better control, and can deliver continuous, guaranteed, targeted traffic to your websites virtually on demand. Smart marketers routinely spread their risks to get a better calculated return on investment

Hermas

3. payment proof

payment proof Active Member

I absolutely agree! There are other search engines out there. Social Media is another great way to get targeted traffic.

Getting traffic from Google is nice, but try to build up multiple traffic streams from different sources.

4. CatherineK

CatherineK Member

I believe SEO will always be important because the search engines need some kind of method to index content accordingly, but yes, being active on sites like of YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest etc will spread the revenue streams. Kindle is another popular income stream and creating your own products. If one stumbles, you have the others to pick you up! It's really all about exposure. The more stuff you publish on the web, the higher your profile will be. (It's a numbers game....mixed with what you bring to the table if you want to stick around for the long term)

5. villasana

villasana Member

I Agree,

Google is one of the best places to get leads I think is the best
    and by doing the right SEO process you can get in 1st page,
    but remember that Google does some housekeeping some times
    to his algorithm and this can change everything, you can be on
    1st page and by the other day you can be on page 33th for example.

Don't put all the eggs in one basket, there are more places where
    you can get leads, for instance Traffic Exchanges is one of them
    some people say they don't work, but you have to do it the right way.

<Snip>

Best regards
    Luis

[Post edited - Admin]

6. jamess

jamess Member

Yes I totally agree with this thought there are lot of Search Engines from where one can get a good amount of traffic..

7. whitney black

whitney black Member

This is def. true. You can't totally count on Google for traffic, and there are plenty of other free easy ways to get traffic. Google changes so much, it's important to have a back up plan in place.

8. whitney black

whitney black Member

I want to add that Google is making even more changes in the coming weeks/months..so we should all be careful and have backup traffic plans in place! good luck everyone. :)

9. JTGMarketing

JTGMarketing Member

I agree that SEO can be an important aspect of internet marketing, but you really don't want to rely on it in order to have long-term success. Social media (like YouTube, DailyMotion, etc.) combined with solid backlinks can be a very effective in driving targeted traffic to your site. You want to use a combination of methods, and not just one.

10. MarieA73

MarieA73 Member

For those of us involved in MLM, high SEO will never replace a genuine relationship and caring attitude toward those you work with and recruit.

robinincarolina and JTGMarketing like this.
  11. wes1der

wes1der New Member

There is only "1" page 1 for any keyword on Google. I have seen people spend months trying to figure out the "magic formula" to get their site to page 1 while ignoring their competitors who were working on building clientele, improving their content, creating natural backlinks etc. One company I consulted for was in the seventh position on page 1 for a dating related term. They had previously been in the top position and had seen a 35% traffic dropoff as they slid further down the page. They made the HUGE mistake of using SEO Nuke to try and gain those rankings back and almost overnight NUKED themselves to page 12 for a term they so desperately wanted.

12. Khoa Nuyen

Khoa Nuyen New Member

Yes, agreed. It's always risky to put all your traffic eggs in one basket. Especially Google, who will change their protocal without any regard to who will get burned.

13. KB24

KB24 Active Member

Yes I agree "free traffic is not really free. you are trading your time and in a lot of cases money in the hopes that what google thinks your doing is right. Im not saying that SEO is a bad thing but in order to do it right google is looking for good quality content on your site plus social engagement on your site. I wouldn't rely on google all it takes is for one algorithm change with there search results and your site might not be ranking anymore. Diversify your traffic.

Hope this helps..

14. shuvo

shuvo Member

You are right indeed.Due to last two updates Google panda and penguin,many website owners who had been practicing all sorts of ethical backlinking lost their ranks.Also the fear of negative SEO came from penguin.So SEO is not a good option to rely on as a single minor update can dramatically decline your keywords ranking.Would be best If you can mix up with paid options.

15. whitney black

whitney black Member

Very true! If you only rely on Google you'll be in trouble, because in the end you have to have different traffic sources. Some are way more reliable than Google, which is always changing.

16. Art

Art Member

"Don't put all your eggs in one basket." - I agree 100% but Google and SEO is a preety large and important egg :)
    If you do it the right way. Of course you can't rely only on this one thing...
    Paid traffic works for me as well!
    Art

17. YAGOOFT

YAGOOFT Active Member

Good points,

No doubt, Google is the gorilla when it comes to search engine useage, but Yahoo is proving to be growing, and with Bing promoting no advertising, this is the sign of the times. Most have learned that the paid advertising is no longer worth the money, especially when you have to pay Google a ton of money for PPC these days due to competition. When I first started with PPC advertising, it was pennies per click, now it is several dollars to be on top of page for same keywords. Crazy, and the only one who is winning is Google.

Given the many changes in search engine optimization strategies, it is a full time effort required to stay on top of organic search results, so not easy for most. I spent a ton of time on SEO and with panda and penquin attacks, you have to wonder when the gorilla will attack next. I spent weeks getting back on top of organic search and weeks more learning how to navigate the new Google attack on search results. I was either number one or two for over a year, then poof, my site vanished all the way back to 67th in search results for free businesses keyword. Crazy, I had feared changing anything knowing the last time I did with Google penquin changes I also had to start SEO all over again using newest strategies.

Simply put, live and learn. PPC is dead, after all, who clicks on any PPC ads any longer? I haven't for years knowing that 99.9% are nothing more than affiliate offers, hundreds of same ones all paying a fortune to be ignored by all the smart people now on the internet who realize PPC ads are usually just fly by night deals, not to be trusted as the best sources of what you are searching for. I look at only organic results which I know are the best companies given what I learned about getting on top of search engines. So think about it, when was the last time you hit a PPC ad on Google? If you did, you were probably just researching who your competition is, and guess what, those who click on your PPC are doing the same thing. lol Great for Google, bad for anyone wasting money on useless clicks by competition, not serious prospects.

Good luck,

18. YAGOOFT

YAGOOFT Active Member

Curious,

Can those interested in search engine results do me a favor? When you search using keywords, do you use space between words, or run them together? As example, if you search Free Businesses vs. FreeBusinesses, you will see different results depending on search engine used. Have you run words together in your search efforts, or do you put spaces between keywords? Search Free Businesses and FreeBusinesses and let me know what you see come back as results. Still working on this mystery. Google seems to look at both the same, while Yahoo and Bing will show top search results only if you run FreeBusinesses together. Very strange and trying to solve mystery of SEO.

Thanks,