Door Hanger Flyer - Will it work?

Discussion in 'General Advice' started by BigMan, Jun 24, 2008.

1. BigMan

BigMan New Member

I'm kind of sick of the online marketing/advertising not working so I'm seriously thinking of buying 3000 door hanger flyers.

But instead of just 1 ad, I have 3 or 4. I would put a tagline and a website address for each ad. Since they're for my affiliate sites, I would first buy a domain from godaddy, then just have the affiliate link forwarded to my own domain like www-thisproductnow-com instead of www-thisproduct-com/1234

the products on the flyer would be for:
    1. satellite
    2. cell phones
    3. a diet e-book
    4. some other kind of e-book (not sure yet)

i was thinking of doing it just for satellite,
    but having 2 or 3 more things would increase
    my odds of making some good money, right?

so, $180 for 3000 door hanger flyers
    + my time going door to door hanging them
    =
    6 satellite sales,
    6 cell phone sales,
    6 ebook sales

???

2. mountainmom5

mountainmom5 Gold Member

It's worth a try - the reason most of us do the online thing is because we are sick and tired of offline marketing - lol

So let us know what happens - I am interested in knowing how it works for you.

3. itsmikewhite

itsmikewhite New Member

Personally I think it should do great. Of course it takes a little more effort than just posting ads on the net. But I think there is a huge offline market for anyone willing to take advantage of it.

4. Sonni

Sonni New Member

Big Man
    I have done what you are thinking of doing. I did it when I was in the real estate business. I put flyers on cars and I put flyers in little plastic bags to hang on doorknobs, putting them in mailbox is illegal. I did have some small success with it. However, I had better success with face to face contact. I did this by having small seminars/classes at the library or mortgage companies either for people looking to buy or sell homes to give them the info they need before making such a huge decision. I met a lot of people and sold many houses with this, also cold calling was effective but I had to have a target market aka 'for sale by owners' with that said if you can get people face to face and get them to trust you and like you then you will get their business.

5. getagrip

getagrip Gold Member

The one dilemna about door hangers is that you don't really know a whole lot about your target market of the houses you are hanging them on.

Another thing you have to realize is if people aren't buying from you online, why would they buy from you offline? It could be your website design or something to that effect that is not working - or your traffic may not be as targeted as you think it is.

So...these are just some things to consider - if you are going to give it a shot, but I'd suggest starting out with 200 or so and see if that gives you any results - 3,000 could be a major waste of money.

6. sarahlorrain

sarahlorrain New Member

I was going to say the tarket market comment too. What if half the houses are occupated with little old ladies who don't even own a computer? I guess that's a risk you have to take though. Imagine hwo you would feel if you wasted the entire $180 and didn't get one sale. If the thought doesn't bother you, I say go for it!

7. painperdu

painperdu New Member

Bigman, where did you get this idea from? I've had that idea for a while and I've been thinking about it a lot lately. In fact, it's the reason I found this forum.

The idea is that although you may not hit the right person with the right target at any given time you'll have more chances if you hit them with multiple offers.

In other words, the odds of a target customer needing one of many offers is greater than them needing just your one offer.

8. annadenise

annadenise Active Member

9. TheWinner

TheWinner New Member

Hey Bigman

This can work a treat, BUT, as getagrip and sarahlorrain have already mentioned, you may be advertising your flyers to those who are NOT in your target market.

Sure, you may get half the audience in your market and half not in your market, thats half your money wasted on advertising.

Really pin point your exact target market, you will then more likely be successful online and offline.

Let us know how you get along [​IMG]

Kiran

10. getagrip

getagrip Gold Member

As annadenise said, I think a car magnet might be better than flyers, since you are getting the message out to all kinds of people. What I don't know is how much that would cost and whether it would do damage to your car, so those are factors you need to consider...

11. purple

purple New Member

I would start out smaller if possible and try to learn something about neighborhoods that could have your target market instead of just driving randomly down streets. Also understand many people don't like junk mail or solicitation via door hanger and you could turn off as many people as you snag.

12. marperrr

marperrr New Member

Fliers have worked for us in the past. However, we had to put out over 1000 a week to make it worthwhile.
    I would encourage you to stay online but try something different than you have in the past.
    It looks like everything youre selling could be done online. I would encourage you to invest your money in your capture site (thisproduct.com) and for the time it would take to put out 3000 doorhangers you could start a myspace site that sells YOU and not your product, get the friendblaster from addnewfriends.com, and get 100 friends a day. We ended up doing just that and now have 10,000 friends on two sites. I post daily bulletins about my biz ops as well as some jokes, games, etc so it doesnt look like spam. The results are, very much, worth the effort! We never use pay per click, buy leads.......The main thing I would encourage you to do is NEVER quit.

13. ibuzzmentor

ibuzzmentor Member

Pay kids to do it in commuter parking lots where the message is catered to that group. Just randomly putting them on door will work but not as good as targeting your message.

Like when I do a voice blast of 1000 people in an hour, I target my list to call realtors or timeshare salesman for primary business. I then have 20-30 leads calling me back per hour. No more dialing for dollars.

14. remipub

remipub New Member

Hi Bigman...

As someone who produces and sells printed door hangers I want to say heck yeah, they'll work! But I have to be honest and say I doubt they'd be effective in this case. Door hangers can be an excpetional marketing tool, but not for everyone. Maybe with the satellite TV, but the other products - they just aren't targeted enough. Pretty much everyone already has a cell phone and not a lot of random people are going to be interested in a diet e-book. You have to hit people who are specifically looking for those types of products.

Where door hangers are effective - most any business that caters specifically to home owners (or renters if you target apartments). And they should promote a business or service that will prove beneficial to the recipient AS a homeowner or renter. Of course there are exceptions to this ... for example a local restaurant can use door hangers to drive nearby residents to their establishment (I've used pizza coupons that were hung on my door in the past). But from my perspective, I don't think the services you wish to offer will satisfy the dynamics of an effictive door hanger campaign.

As a side note - anyone wishing to utilize door hangers, be sure they are well designed and professionally printed. I strongly suggest using full color. They really need to look sharp and have high appeal, otherwise they may do more to harm your reputation than earn you new business.

15. manudevil20

manudevil20 New Member

This kind of advertising has worked well for me. Last year when i was delivering newspapers in my car i would put a flyer in each newspaper before i put it in the box. It had a pretty good response too. You might be able to talk to some people that deliver them and see how much they would charge. I know its illegal to put them in the mailbox's but not the newspaper boxes.

16. NuLegacy

NuLegacy New Member

Hey Big man,

I use this very strategy with awesome success!

I give away free discount prescription cards and
    so my flyer goes in a door hangar plastic bag and
    also two discount prescription cards.

I deliver them primarily to lower income areas
    and ask that if they can't use the card to please pass it on to
    someone who can.

My numbers shot through the roof and I also use this two fold
    I also insert a flyer in the door hangar advertising the business opportunity and recruitment has shot through the roof as well !

Its been a wild ride!

I guess it just depends on what you business is! All I do is give away free prescription cards and tell other about the opportunity to do the same.

Good luck to you!

This strategy works awesome for me.

17. shawng2171

shawng2171 New Member

i see this post is old but i am home based biz. i just had 500 over sized post cards made and we are going to do the door to door with flyers . its a good way to get your company out there i think it might work better for me...do you think i need a website ? next

18. payment proof

payment proof Active Member

I think a website would be a great idea. You can put your website on your future post cards and flyers.

19. talfighel

talfighel Silver Member

Having a website and then posting the link on the postcard is a great idea.

It can get you returning visitors all the time.

payment proof likes this.
  20. Ginka

Ginka New Member

Could anybody recommend a good and inexpensive printing company for door flyers?