eBay Or Amazon

Discussion in 'General Advice' started by rooster64, Jan 5, 2013.

1. rooster64

rooster64 New Member

Does any one on this forum make money by selling on eBay, or Amazon? If so please share how your business is going.

naziya likes this.
  2. Adrian

Adrian Member

I sell on both Ebay and Amazon. But I find Amazon to be a more stable platform to sell from. They go through great measures to protect their consumers. Also amazon has a really great affiliate program which you can earn from as well,not to mention the Kindle program. You can create your own original Ebooks and upload them to the kindle platform and get a profit from content you create. Ebay is a great platform in its own right.But I find Amazon to be the better of the two.

Hope this helps.:)

3. payment proof

payment proof Active Member

I've sold things on eBay from time to time, but don't do it consistantly. I liked eBay more several years ago, before they jacked up the fees so high.

4. getagrip

getagrip Gold Member

5. Rachel

Rachel New Member

I sell primarily on eBay and have had great experiences with it. I don't sell one specific product, I was using it to sell old electronics (ex. 1st gen ipod nano went for $70), and I believe most of my listings were free. If you sign up with eBay, you'll get emails when they have promotionals where you can list products for free. I use Amazon only to sell old school textbooks, and even then, I don't get too much money for them.

6. netjobs

netjobs Member

I sell few cheap products (own) on eBay, but doing in Amazon as an affiliate ;)

7. Sal

Sal New Member

I just started selling Amazon goods and I am still struggling to set up the astore. I wonder if it is better to just do
    selected categories instead of including everything Amazon has. Any suggestions for me? I have not yet sold anything even though I have had quite a bunch of visitors - about 4000.

8. gymnastmom

gymnastmom New Member

Hello everyone. I have been selling off and on eBay for about 11 years. I took the last two years off because there fees were just so high and do to personal circumstances it was getting to hard for me to juggle all the things I had going on in my life. Things have slowed down now and I am looking for ways to work from home. I have a few items on ebay and I have made a decent profit off of my used items. I used to sell a LOT internationally. But my question is how does the Amazon affiliate program work? I have never sold on Amazon so I really do not know the first thing about selling on there. I have bought a few things off there so I do have an account. If some could explain the process I would really appreciate it. I remember years ago someone told me that you do not get paid, even for shipping for about a month after your product sells. Is this still true?

9. westfam11

westfam11 Member

Sal,

I don't understand why you are setting up a store? I sell on Amazon FBA (fulfillment by Amazon) and I didn't have to set up a store. I just shop and find new items, check it with an app I have on my phone to see if it would be a good product to sell and then when I have a good amount of items I send them all in to Amazon and when they sell Amazon ships them to the customer. It is going great, all I have to do is find good products to sell, send in and when they sell I get paid. I did really well during Christmastime. Right now I am not shopping as much as I was and that is the key. It is a business that can easily be built up to a larger scale. It does take time and work, but it is worth it.

robinincarolina likes this.
  10. I am more of an ebay guy and my friends are selling as well on ebay. I just read an article about Ebay and they have a new fee for merchants, which will now be a flat fee of 10 percent. Top Sellers would get 20% discount.

11. YAGOOFT

YAGOOFT Active Member

They both work well depending on what you are selling. I prefer auction action personally, but they both have worked well over the years both from a sellers and buyers point of view, never mind the affiliate side which can be very profitable.

Good luck to all,

12. westfam11

westfam11 Member

I have an update. I joined a program called DS Domination and it is really helping me do eBay with drop shipping and it is going really well. So now I am doing eBay a lot more along with my Amazon business. Online selling is here to stay. It is easier to make money this way than being an affiliate. I'd be happy to help if anyone is interested.

13. YAGOOFT

YAGOOFT Active Member

Playing the arbitrage deal between Amazon and eBay can eat you alive with fees if you are not careful. You can pick up some tips from DS Domination and strategies, but the fees can still eat your lunch, never mind the increasing shipping costs and the new Amazon bump to $35. before free shipping kicks in. Live and learn, but for most, you won't make more than a few bucks a month working this strategy. Given you have no control over shipping costs and fees, you can find yourself selling short and losing money very easily, especially in the auction side of eBay. Been there, done that, and even using shortcuts and templates, it is a very time consuming concept. The real killer is the sales tax losses and potential liabilities of collecting taxes which could change everything when it comes to online sales, unless you live in NH which has no sales tax.

Good luck,

14. Mina

Mina New Member

Ive been selling on ebay for quite some time now. Its definitely a fantastic way to start your own business if you can calculate the right profit margin and know how to attract customers. One example is free shipping and providing excellent customer service.

15. Rob Fore

Rob Fore New Member

Years ago we made a significant income building out tiny little blogs that featured a product on Amazon or on eBay. We would then promote the blog to rank on the search engines for when people actually searched for the product by name or model number. It worked well and, over time, had built a portfolio of over 800 sites.

The challenge was each site was only pulling in maybe $30 per month net profit and it because a major job just to keep the site updated and maintained. Plus, whenever they released a newer model or something... it would make the old site obsolete.

Worse, I soon realized while we were making money - we were not really building a business because we were not building a list. It made no sense to build a list of "camera buyers" when we really had nothing else to follow up with.

Later we sold that entire network and now make as much as whole lot easier by maintaining just THREE sites.

16. Sal

Sal New Member

Hello everyone.

I have a question for Westfam11 please. I am interested in selling on Amazon. I was starting to build a store, but would like to know what you mean when you say: "I just shop and find new items, check it with an app I have on my phone to see if it would be a good product to sell and then when I have a good amount of items I send them all in to Amazon and when they sell Amazon ships them to the customer."

How do you send then to Amazon?

17. John Millstead

John Millstead New Member

Please send me information on DS Domination and the app you use to scan products! Thanks!

18. westfam11

westfam11 Member

I am so sorry I haven't answered you sooner. I used to get an e-mail when someone from this forum asked a question on a post that I had posted on but I did not get anything so I didn't know about this question as I have been busy building a business and not on the forum much.

The process I use is "FBA" fulfillment by Amazon. Here is the link to the Amazon page that explains it all. http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=200229160 (this is not my link but just to Amazon's site for FBA information).

I use Profit Bandit, it is a one time charge of 15-18, can't remember which and I am able to use my iPhone to scan items and it tells me the rank on Amazon and you put the price you will pay in and it tells you what your profit will be after Amazon fees and you can make a decision about whether to buy it or not.

19. westfam11

westfam11 Member

The info about DS Domination is in my signature line. Also, I use Profit Bandit to scan my items, which is a one time fee of 16-18, can't remember exactly what I paid two years ago and you get free updates to the software.

20. Vidal

Vidal New Member

Hello, I sell on ebay and amazon and the sales have been very good. I signed up with this terrific company called DS Domination and learned the ins and outs of selling on ebay and amazon. The main thing selling on amazon is make sure you are selling the correct items according to the seasons. Now, we are in the spring so things like Patio Furniture, sells very well.