Excellent chocolate substitute

Discussion in 'Raising Kids' started by Vishal P. Rao, May 25, 2007.

1. Vishal P. Rao

Vishal P. Rao Administrator Staff Member

Chocolates (cocoa) and sweets (containing sugar) makes kids cranky, irritable and crave for more. This in turn make them eat less of healthy foods, affecting their overall health and development. Try avoiding chocolates and sweets for a while and see the difference in your child's behaviour for yourself.

Here's a recipe I discovered as a substitute for chocolates that contains no sugar and cocoa! And my son loves it too.

Ingredients:

Palm jaggery (You can get it in health food stores)
    Milk powder (Without sugar)
    Butter (1/2 the quantity of palm jaggery)

Method:

Melt the palm jaggery and butter in a pan using slow heat. Once it melts and turns into liquid consistency, continue heating for a minute. Then slowly add milk powder to the above mixture (little by little) and stir. Once the desired consistency is reached (neither too hard or too flowing), allow it to cool. You can then make desired shapes out of the mixture and store in air tight container.

To make the toffees a bit harder, heat the palm jaggery/butter mixture for a little longer time.

2. BillChechel

BillChechel New Member

My kid loves chocolate. I think this sounds like it might be good alternative. What exactly is palm jaggery?

Does the final product taste at all like chocolate? We try to limit all types of junk food to our children because you're right it does make them cranky. And cranky kids makes cranky parents. [​IMG]

3. Vishal P. Rao

Vishal P. Rao Administrator Staff Member

Palm jaggery is obtained from palm trees unlike regular jaggery which is derived from sugar canes.

Quoting: BillChechelDoes the final product taste at all like chocolate?

Not exactly. If your kids are very much used to chocolate taste, then it might be difficult to get them like this. I have been giving this to my son from early on and hence he kind of likes it. However, now that he has started going to school and has started consuming regular chocolates, he doesn't like it that much as he used to earlier [​IMG] But he doesn't dislike it and happily consumes it whenever I give it to him.

Quoting: BillChechelAnd cranky kids makes cranky parents.

Actually the reverse is true William. Cranky parents make cranky kids. Isn't it? We should not make blame the poor kids. They inherit our genes and character. Calm parents rarely produce cranky kids [​IMG]

Our kids are our reflection. If we gain this wisdom before producing kids, we'll think twice before having a child and world would be a far better place to live in.

I really liked writing this!

4. lauren227nicole

lauren227nicole New Member

I just stumbled upon this because I REALLY like chocolate and have always been looking for healthy alternatives. I know its like a year late, but I also wanted to add something to this.

Children become cranky because they are addicted to the sugar. Yes, you can have a sugar addiction! The crankiness is due to withdrawal, I know it sounds crazy, but it's true. The crankiness is not because the child ate sugar, but that the body is rebelling in not having more. So after awhile, when you quit feeding you child the refined white sugar and junk containing it, then the crankiness goes away.

Studies done have noted it is food products with REFINED sugars that do the most damage. It would be better to suck on a stick of sugar cane(which has health BENEFITS). It's mind blowing what processed food can do to our bodies. We just weren't built for it. No wonder we have so many diseases and cancers today....

5. Jean LA

Jean LA New Member

Sounds like a great substitute really. My boy wants to eat lots of chocolates that he dont' want to eat dinner anymore. Worries me.

6. vijendrasnv

vijendrasnv New Member

Most of the kids love chocolate and cookies.
    So can be very handy substitute for chocolates.Also helpful for young age people.Thanks for sharing information.