Fairy-Tale Marketing

Discussion in 'Network/Multi-level Marketing' started by coreyjroman, Mar 16, 2006.

1. coreyjroman

coreyjroman Silver Member

Many MLM programs have come and gone through the years. Out of all the fallen I have noticed that most of them claimed instant wealth or outrageous earning potentials coupled with rediculous start-up costs that the companies cannot justify charging. If you are about to engage in a marketing relationship with a new mlm company that charges a start-up fee ask yourself what do you get for your money. If you get product samples and physical sales and promotional items for your fee are they worth the money? If a company is truly interested in selling products then that should be the focus of the companies business plan. To help interest you and educate you to sell a useful and tangible product or service. The company should not make outrageous money claims if the product seems worthless but this happens from time to time and the reason is that the company is more interested in enticing you to join then selling related products and services. Here is an example of what one of the scandalous ads might look like:

Make $15,000 dollars a month selling printed toilet paper! I know it sounds crazy but just read this success story! Tim Maple from Idaho says, "My wife and I were sceptical at first be we threw caution to the wind and made our first 10 grand in just one month! If we can do it so can you!"

Just think ...toilet paper is something everyone uses everyday. Why not take advantage of that fact and get in on this opportunitiy to make life easier for your whole family!

Our most popular product "Star-Trek toilet paper" features little starship enterprises that when placed close to your bottom fly around uranus in search of cling-ons! Think of how many Star-Trek fans there are out there that would love to wipe-up with this product! Don't miss out on this once in a lifetime opportunity to make more money then you can possibly imagine... Join Today!

A one time processing fee of $199.00 is required to get in on this incredible home based business opportunity!! What are you waiting for?!!?!!?

Did you notice how exciting the opportunity appears by flashing big number in front of your eyes? Some of you would not even give a thought about the product because the opportunity to make huge cash is so enticing. This type of marketing concept is designed to thrive from the processing fee and not the product. I call this Fairy-Tale Marketing because the huge money is just make believe. Of course... I just made this one up but I have seen dozens of opportunities advertised this same way. Stay sharp... if it even seems slightly questionable it most likely is a scam.
  2. philena30

philena30 New Member

Wow.. Corey.. You write really good scam ad copy.. LOL.. Makes me wanna run and get some tissue right now.. I love Star Trek.

Testimony

At first I was sketical about the tissue. I really couldn't believe many Star treks fans would love this tissue.. Next thing I know I was making $2000 in 48hrs. Unbelievable.. No other business as giving this high a return for a clean butt.

Now I can be financial free with my children. Thanks you.
  3. agoodsaid

agoodsaid New Member

ROFLOL ... you guys are too funny!!

Hey I'm a Star Trek fan too [​IMG]

You're right Corey. I get a lot of people asking me to look at business opportunities for them. The first thing I do is look at how the money is flowing and from whom. Then I teach the person how to look for themselves [​IMG]

I don't know what it is ... maybe it's all the TV advertising that we see from little... but here in the US anyway people are so ready to swallow the next 'get rich quick' line that comes down the pike.

It's so enticing!

Do you suppose Americans are more prone to this than the rest of the world?

Andrea
  4. A8ch

A8ch Gold Member

Excellent points Corey. Great imagination and copywriting skills too! Love your puns and metaphors.

In our Marketing 101 classes we are taught to "sell the sizzle, not the steak" and it's obvious some people get carried away on that point.

At the opposite end of the scale is the "caveat emptor" caution. Let the buyer beware! We are all familiar with the vernacular interpretations:

"If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck..."
    "If it seems to good to be true..."

And so on.

Quoting: agoodsaid... but here in the US anyway people are so ready to swallow the next 'get rich quick' line that comes down the pike. It's so enticing! Do you suppose Americans are more prone to this than the rest of the world?

I think there is a default degree of gullibility in each of us, but it's the uninformed who are the most likely to be victimized because they make no effort to customize their settings through research and investigation.

Our free enterprise system is certainly a hotbed for dubious operators. It's a fertile environment for cultivating the greed factor that lurks in the hearts of all mankind. It attracts marketers as well as consumers who are looking to exploit any opportunity to make a quick dollar.

It's a jungle out there and Corey's warning to "Stay sharp" is wise counsel.

Hermas
  5. Collin Andersen

Collin Andersen New Member

Quoting: coreyjroman"Star-Trek toilet paper" features little starship enterprises that when placed close to your bottom fly around uranus in search of cling-ons!
    That is funnier than funny!! LOL

Those of us who know better realize that Network Marketing is a business that rewards personal effort. It is NOT a business for lazy people. It is, however, an opportunity with amazing potential.

I am saddened that people actually think that they can make $29,000 a day sitting at home DOING NOTHING. It makes absolutely NO sense to think that you can put in NO EFFORT and receive any results. That won't work at their jobs, it won't work in the gym, and it won't work in a marriage. And yet somehow, there are folks that think they can get something for nothing.

Here's an ad right in front of me: It says "$30,000 This Month! I did it and so can you. We do ALL the Work and Close the sales! You won't believe how easy it is to make loads of money. 1st 50 people get a FREE trip to the Bahamas. $2K Inv."

I guess the two grand pays for your Bahamas trip and then they've got you feeding at the trough, right? Oh well, that's not an ad I'm buying in to and it's NOT the kind of business I want to promote.

Anybody else got any doozies? Only share the come-on and the hype , don't give the company name or any contact information. this could be fun [​IMG]
  6. WhitePhoenix

WhitePhoenix New Member

I don't think Americans are the most prone to these get-rich-quick schemes. Wouldn't anyone just love to make that kind of money doing nothing? Then, why aren't we all doing nothing?

Despite all the warnings, all the cautions and all the 'It happened to me; Don't let it happen to you' information out there, it still amazes me that so many people fall prey to these claims and try them out.

I think some people are just so deperate to better their financial circumstances that they blindly throw caution to the wind and hope for the best.

I have fallen prey to some small scams in my time, and that's how we learn, and there have been times when I think, hey, that sounds nice - but I've always managed to curtail my brief enthusiasm and read between the lines.
  7. CThompson

CThompson New Member

I see this every day. It is devasting for the legitamate business opportunities that are available.

The 12dp is a good example of the sizzle.
    Another shakey company is Amigo Health I read their policy and procedures and it is shady.
    I could go on and on.

Great subject and great post.
  8. LifeofEgypt

LifeofEgypt New Member

I too have been a victim of SCAMS and and lost money. It took awhile before i found a few legit business to work. The real programs DO NOT promise you unrealistic money and will tell you how to promote the business through hard work, real effort and a advertising budget.
  9. coreyjroman

coreyjroman Silver Member

Quoting: LifeofEgyptThe real programs DO NOT promise you unrealistic money and will tell you how to promote the business through hard work, real effort and a advertising budget.

This is true... But remember do not trap yourself into believing that the web is the best place to conduct all manners of business. In my personal experience I have found that the web should just be a tool and personal one on one works better in the mlm industry.
  10. Renier

Renier New Member

Quoting: corejromanThis is true... But remember do not trap yourself into believing that the web is the best place to conduct all manners of business. In my personal experience I have found that the web should just be a tool and personal one on one works better in the mlm industry.

This I learn the hard way [​IMG] so true

Renier
  11. ESS

ESS New Member

Quoting: coreyjromanThis is true... But remember do not trap yourself into believing that the web is the best place to conduct all manners of business. In my personal experience I have found that the web should just be a tool and personal one on one works better in the mlm industry.

You hit the nail on the head there! The web is a great tool just like the telephone...but there's nothing more powerful than sitting down with someone, looking them in the eye and in a passionate voice tell them "I'll never give up on you if you never give up on yourself."
    Build friendships!