Feeding regular food?

Discussion in 'Raising Kids' started by gradyp, Jul 9, 2008.

1. gradyp

gradyp New Member

I have a 4 month old that we're starting to feed solid food. We've done well with the rice and oatmeal so far. Soon, we'll be progressing to other things.

We've been considering the idea of finding ways to feed our little one what we eat, rather than spend a fortune on "Gerber" jars. Has anyone out there tried this before and what tips do you have?

We went the Gerber route with the older brother, but this seems like it might be a more creative option (not to mention cut down a little on wasted leftovers from what just 2 adults and one 5 year old eats [​IMG] ) I think we got the idea from some show featuring a "baby food blender", but I can't remember what show it was on or where it said you could get one, but couldn't you just use a regular blender?

Any advice would be welcome!

Thank you!

2. Newbie Shield

Newbie Shield Gold Member

Hi Grady,

As long as the blender has a puree function. The idea is to make it like a thick sauce similar to apple sauce.

Hey, did you ever watch the TV series "Married with Children"? Christina Applegate (the nice looking blonde daughter) was the Gerber baby?

Happy blending :)

~Newbie Shield~

3. BillChechel

BillChechel New Member

Just be careful that the food you puree has not come in contact with possible allergens like peanut oil etc.

The one good thing about gerber and other baby food companies they make sure there is no food interaction. I dont think your're supposed to give your child peanut butter for the first year because of allergies. I know baby food can be a little costly but for 1st year I think its worth it.

We used an organic baby food made by Earths Best this time around(this is the 3rd one for us) and our little one Jacob loved it. You can buy it in common food stores. He eats like me so there is no problem with food. He is also subborn like me but that is another story altogether.

4. gradyp

gradyp New Member

Thanks guys!

My blender does have a puree mode, so that is covered. As for allergies, I know I have allergies, but they are airborne more than anything. Peanuts shouldn't be a problem for us.

I'm looking forward to trying!

5. RyanMis

RyanMis Guest

They often say that you should wait until a year old for peanut products