First Forum Ever!

Discussion in 'Work at Home Moms' started by yvettem, Sep 2, 2012.

1. yvettem

yvettem New Member

Hello All!

This is my very first forum post, I've been working from home since the end of last year. Just recently I've learned about connecting with people via forums. Initially, I was looking for it to be a good marketing platform, however; as I'm reading more and more post I'm starting to see that forums are extremely helpful. I've learned more about companies that I'm currently in. I can connect with other moms that are doing the same thing that I'm doing which is always a plus! Most of my friends and family think I'm crazy for working from home online. They all have "job" mentalities and it's starting to be hard to hold long conversations with them. Hopefully I'll make some new "like-minded" friends. :)

So I'm wondering... what's the best way to deal with family & friends who just don't understand what we do?

Yvette M.

2. Vishal P. Rao

Vishal P. Rao Administrator Staff Member

Welcome to the forum Yvette :) You'll find amazing people here. Enjoy your stay!

yvettem likes this.
  3. A8ch

A8ch Gold Member

Simply become successful at what you do.

Trying to explain to friends and family exactly what online marketing is all about can be quite a challenge, especially if they don't understand the concept. Just identifying the many components that are involved can be totally confusing and overwhelming for most people.

I have found that when you can demonstrate to skeptics and well-meaning but misinformed people that you do know how to make a decent living working from home, they suddenly perceive you in a different light. You become an expert in their eyes and many of them will ask you to teach them what you know.

At that point it is much easier to enlighten them and slowly shift their mentality away from job to like-minded. Try it and you'll see!

In the meantime we're happy to have you join us, Yvette. You're going to like it here.

Hermas

Vishal P. Rao likes this.
  4. FreeCashMan

FreeCashMan Well-Known Member

Participating in forums is a great way to stay in tune with what is going on the niche of that forum. As well as, learning how to prosper in your business from others, while attracting people that are genuinely interested in your product/service/opportunity.

In dealing with family just remember the saying, a prophet is never accepted in his own land. While we certainly want to help our family prosper and get out of the useless hopes and dreams that never avail from the average j.o.b. we can only do what we can do.

Success in home business is for those that see it, and seize it and don't give up until victory is theirs. In home business and/or online marketing just because it's family we can't make it personal. They have to want it and do it. If not we must align ourselves with liked minded others that will help us achieve our goals and dreams.

yvettem likes this.
  5. Montia

Montia New Member

Hey Yvette,
    Welcome. I am new here too, but this is not my first forum.
    What exactly do you do? I really want to find a good agency to get a job working virtually from home.
    I have my own online business that I am working, but I need some consistent funds to maintain it.

Your family would never understand. They are stuck in the industrial age, we are in the information age.
    Try and fine like minded individuals to give you encouragement. When you start making a lot of money they will be asking you for a job. You stay focus and work on your online business

Here goes a general question in here: Since I can't figure out how to make a new post.

Does anyone knows of a reputable company that offers VA jobs that you can work from at a decent salary
    Please only recommend what you have used or worked for or know some who does.'

Thanks In Advance

6. happywife

happywife Gold Member

Hi Yvette,

I started an email to welcome you to the forum about 2 days ago and then right in the middle of it life interrupted and I'm only just now getting a chance to get back to it, so I've decided to start a fresh one! :) WELCOME!

I used to be overly exuberant about telling friends and family what I was doing online because I was just so thrilled and excited about it all. When I started noticing their eyes glazing over I had to learn to just give a really condensed version accept the fact that they won't get it unless they do it themselves. ;)

Even my darling husband who loves having the extra income coming in has a habit of saying that I "play on the computer" all the time. :p

I have to admit I've had a few gloating moments over the years (shame on me!) when I've shown certain doubting Thomas' my income reports. I got over that, too, and now only show people when they are seriously considering getting started and are unsure of the potential. It helps tip them over the edge of indecision. :rolleyes:

Well, I'm going to end this note now before I have another interruption that keeps me from completing it. I'm hoping to pop back in here tomorrow and chat a bit more. Looking forward to getting to know you better in future.

Blessings,
    Angie

Raja Khan likes this.
  7. StephanieH

StephanieH New Member

Hi Yvette,

I agree with what several others have already said - I wouldn't worry too much about trying to convince your friends and family. It can be draining, and you have no need to have any negativity or anyone sap your energy.

Being able to support yourself is the only proof you need.

Raja Khan and yvettem like this.
  8. payment proof

payment proof Active Member

9. yvettem

yvettem New Member

Hello Hermas & thank you for the advice, you make a great point and moving forward I plan to do just that. It's great to have a place to come and socialize with like-minded individuals.

Raja Khan likes this.
  10. yvettem

yvettem New Member

Hello Montia,

Thanks for the encouragement... I love working from home, had I known what I know now, years ago I would have been working from home. I have several streams of income coming from online none of them are "jobs" with salaries, I like to be able to determine my own income so me and "jobs" or "salaries" don't mix well :)

Raja Khan likes this.
  11. yvettem

yvettem New Member

Hi Angie!

I look forward to getting to know you better as well. I have finally gotten myself on a schedule, which with 3 little ones can be a challenge :giggle: but I'm working on getting more organized.

You have several valid points, I can totally relate with being over excited and talking to family & friends and that glaze look is a key sign that I've lost them, lol. I've even had my brother tell me.. "Sis, you lost me 5 mins. ago." :LOL:

How many years have you been working from home?
    November of this year will make 1 year for me.

Talk with you soon,
    Yvette

12. happywife

happywife Gold Member

Hi Yvette,
    Glad to see you back. I guess I'm getting close to 6 years now, working online from home in my spare time. My husband and I are missionaries in Australia, so the ministry we do here is our first priority, but I love building my web business, too. It's great to have a flexible business that is there when I have the time and hums along on its own when I don't. The flexibility of being able to "take it with you wherever you go" is an extra bonus, too. I guess you can say it's the best of both worlds. :)

Blessings,
    Angie

13. Forums are great places to meet new people that share the same point of view. If you are getting the glazed over look from family and friends, you certainly won't get that from people that are interested, and excited about the same things as you. And as Hermes said, success will make your conversations exciting to all of your family and friends.