Forum Link Building for success on google?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Hosting' started by syxx, Dec 2, 2010.

1. syxx

syxx New Member

Anyone have any experience with this? I have been receiving some SEO e-mails regarding services providing 'link building' that is legit and helps google rankings. Though I am a little skeptical... I do post in some relevant forums and sometimes include links to my site when appropriate. Though I've read some sites (with a higher PR rating) are better.

2. happywife

happywife Gold Member

Hi Richard,

Be very careful with those seo emails offering their services. Good link building is an important part of creating a successful website, but it is VERY difficult to find a legitimate link building service who is going to provide you with quality links.

Not all links to your site are seen as "good" links. Many of these services just go around spamming forums by creating member profiles with a link to your site, but they don't really contribute any real dialogue in the forum. That's pretty nasty behavior in my opinion and certainly not going to do your site any good.

A few really good links are worth a whole lot more than hundreds of poor links.

There's a site called freedomideas where a guy named Tomaz discusses quality link building. It's time consuming work, but worth it in the end.

Also, Wordtracker has recently put out a video on link building and they have a new tool (you have to purchase) that helps you track your link building progress. I haven't decided to spend the money on that yet since I've been putting off some much needed link building. I'm not sure yet whether I'll pay for the service/tool, or just do it manually when I get around to it.

I have to admit that for some strange reason I DO NOT enjoy link building. I know I need to do it, but I just keep procrastinating. I think it's going to have to be one of my New Year's resolutions! [​IMG]

By the way, links from sites with a higher PR are better, just as you read. BUT, I just looked at your lovely site, and I don't think link building is your problem. You've already got a great PR ranking of PR4! I'd like to have you linking to my sites! [​IMG]

I'm guessing for getting more free traffic to your site, you need to concentrate on good keyword research and adding keyword focused content pages. That will really improve your rankings and bring in the traffic for you.

Blessings,
    Angie

3. mountainmom5

mountainmom5 Gold Member

syxx, I love your site!

Hey Angie, how can I change the color of my 'look and feel' OUTSIDE the site or around the site?

4. happywife

happywife Gold Member

Hi Viola,

Well, it depends on what template you are using. It's easy on some and a little more involved on others.

For my chocolate site I just had to create a little image of the color that I wanted and upload that as the background image in the L&F selector. It's in the food and drink category.

For some templates, you can only do it by adding code to each page.

If you go into the SBI forums and look under Day 6 Look and Feel Selector, you should be able to find the info. you are looking for fairly quickly. If you can't locate it, send me an email and I'll find it for you and send you a link.

Blessings,
    Angie

5. mountainmom5

mountainmom5 Gold Member

THANKS a gabillion! it worked.[​IMG]

6. happywife

happywife Gold Member

Very nicely done! I love your new L&F. Were you using one of the food and drink templates? I'm thinking of transitioning my angieberg.com site back to the BB so I have to convert the template - yikes!

That's something I'm not looking forward to doing, but I'm an old fuddy-duddy I guess and just love the simple blockbuilder. With the new one coming out soon, I see absolutely no reason to torture myself with the coding of uploading my own when I can have the best of both worlds - the simplicity of the site builder and the look and feel I want.

By the way, don't you just love the new 3rd column option? [​IMG] I've implemented it on my sites and it has boosted my income on one of the sites in a significant way.

Anyway, glad you were able to easily achieve what you were aiming for. It looks really nice!

Blessings,
    Angie

7. mountainmom5

mountainmom5 Gold Member

It was so simple once I finally went and searched for the answer and yes I did use one of the food and drink templates.

happywife: I see absolutely no reason to torture myself with the coding of uploading my own when I can have the best of both worlds - the simplicity of the site builder and the look and feel I want.
    That is so true - and yes I love, love love the new 3rd column option. In what way did it boost your income? With affiliate sales or adsense?

Thanks again for your help![​IMG]
    Viola

8. happywife

happywife Gold Member

No, I didn't put adsense in it for 2 reasons. The first is that most report you get very few clicks when the ads are over in the third column and second is because I have my 3rd column as a default and if you put adsense in your default column, they come up on the thank you pages, etc., and that's against Adsense policy apparently.

The increase was in affiliate/lead generation. For instance I have an insurance lead (free quote box) on my insurance site that got 4 times the number of leads last month since I implemented that 3rd column. Very sweet!

Blessings,
    Angie

9. mountainmom5

mountainmom5 Gold Member

happywife: they come up on the thank you pages, etc., and that's against Adsense policy apparently.
    oh boy - i didn't know that...I will have to go see what I can do about that... [​IMG]

10. dann

dann New Member

If you put sharing buttons on your website (ex - Like on Facebook, Tweet this, Google +1 button etc) then somewhere down the line people are more likely to share your content for you if they think its good.

If enough of this goes it, it will contribute to better SEO.

11. talfighel

talfighel Silver Member

Richard,

Here is a SIMPLE answer.

Don't waste your time or money with them. They just want your money and will never get your site ranked high.

There are many dishonest people online and for this market, they make a lot of money off people who are desperate to get their site ranked.

12. Kyle_K

Kyle_K Member

I am a newbie here, but from what I have learned to this point the real keys to SEO are web content and a lot of key word optimization. That's going to do more for you than paying some hacks to spam the web all over the place.

13. haiden

haiden New Member

What has worked for me best, as far as SEO goes?

1. Content, good relevant content.

2.Keywords... there's a lot to this. Not just on-site, but off-site as well.

You've used YoutTube, right? Of course, we all have. Well, here's a little not-so-secret-secret for you...

YouTube is an EXCELLENT way to build backlinks. Here's how you do it:

Create YouTube Accounts, but the channels MUST be "Band channels". Because every other link will be "nofollow". Some think that every link on Y.T. is dofollow, but they are wrong. The only links I have found to be picked up by Google, etc, are the URL in the band page profile. Even the URL in the description of a video is nofollow, despite what other may say. Even Matt Cutts agrees.

Want to find dofollow sites? Then get the add-on "NoDoFollow" for Firefox, and it will tell you , on any site you visit, which links are do/nofollow. I use it all the time, and right now it tells me the links in peoples signatures, well, all those are nofollow. So anyone using their URL in their sig, it is not being picked up by anyone but users. Google ignores them.

Anyway, use Y.T. and also use sites such as WordPress, Blogspot, etc. Create good, relevant content on these sites, and use anchor text in ALL keywords.

Edit* Also, listen to what talfighel says- Do not waste your money with "link building services", or whatever. The one thing these people will not tell you, is that a single , QUALITY backlink , is better than a few thousand "crappy" backlinks. Just engage in good conversation, leave you link. If people like what you have to say, they will link your site, etc. But yeah, I recommend getting the FireFox addon I mentioned, it works! And also remember- Most forums allow you to leave your URL in profiles/comments, but most are nofollow. (like this one [​IMG] But hey, you get traffic not only from Google catching your link, but people who like what you have to say. I may know nothing on design, but I know SEO.

14. mreese601

mreese601 Member

Forums are a great way to get backlinks to your website! Posting your links on forums that's has a high PR will give your site a boost in the search engine!

15. There are a lot of ways to get GOOD backlinks without hiring an SEO service to do the work for you... Creating high quality content on your website is one and you can also do forum and blog posting.

If you do not have the time to do them, you can get a freelancer to do it for you. Just make sure that you provide them with what they need to do and check their work.

16. jamess

jamess Member

Yes These links are also good to build backlinks but when you post your comments that should be quality or relevant to the topic.

17. JTGMarketing

JTGMarketing Member

There are a lot of SEO scams out there that make all kinds of empty promises. Most of them are just trying to cheat you out of their money. Be very careful.

18. coxxx

coxxx New Member

Forum link building is good when you do it in the right way, try to participate with niche forum sites.

19. whitney black

whitney black Member

The best way to go about link building now, is just to share your content on social media, and let the links "come naturally". Trust me, building links yourself just doesnt' work as easy as it used to! :)

20. NetMecca

NetMecca Member

I agree with happywife. Most of the paid for link creations services make use of black hat SEO, which is a big no no and though it will get you initial results those will dissappear very quickly, and so will the value, so money wasted. Personally I prefer natural link building, which is driven by time, and content. The latter being having content on your site that someone whats to link to. Also if you add content to your site regularly, the crawlers will get on your site regularly and certainly it is not difficult to get them there daily with a little bit of onsite SEO, and continues change in the beginning. As your site grows you will find that the regularity of new contents becomes less important for that purpose, as you can start to rely on the natural links you received.

Cheers!!

Just2EZ likes this.