Free Traffic Myth?

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by Shane1234, Mar 31, 2013.

1. Shane1234

Shane1234 New Member

Is there really such a thing as driving free traffic (targeted traffic) to your website or webpage? I would say no. If you really think about it, there's nothing free about forum marketing, video marketing, classified marketing, article marketing etc. The reason I say this, is TIME! It takes time to post on different forums daily. It takes time to create and post videos. It takes time to write and submit articles. And it takes time to create and post ads to different classifieds. I know you heard of the expression "Time Is Money". Well this is an actual fact. When you go to work (9 to 5) you are giving your employer time in exchange for money. No one would state that you working (giving our time) is a free method in generating income. So the same shouldn't be said about generating free traffic, because it all takes time and we all know that "Time Is Money". So tell me what y'all think?

2. Just2EZ

Just2EZ Moderator

Yes, time is money - but money wasted is not the same as time invested.
    The majority of "newbies" lose money using paid advertising.
    Time spent creating unique content is like planting seeds.
    Traffic can continue to grow and spread like weeds.
    FREE traffic requires planting the seeds.

3. Shane1234

Shane1234 New Member

Yes this is also true. Generating traffic without using paid advertisement may be time consuming, but it's the safest way to go. Paid ads can be a mess if you don't know what you are doing.

4. payment proof

payment proof Active Member

It does take time. But if you generate high quality traffic and monetize your sites, you can get paid for that time. :)

5. westfam11

westfam11 Member

When people don't have money they usually have time so they invest time instead of money at first. When a newbie
    starts out sometimes they lose too much money on advertising because not all advertising is created equal. It is hard to find advertising that actually works or "you get what you pay for". There is a learning curve so it is usually better to start with free ways to get organic traffic while you learn what works with paid advertising.

6. John Passafiume

John Passafiume New Member

I agree with all this Time Is Money, and believe you have to "spend money to make money", and if time is money, then it's well worth it on a proven system. I created many ads and saved them all on my hard drive. Now when I place my articles, I just copy and paste, same thing as videos. So if you really think about it, not much time at all. With the technology we have now, you can do this business on the run with SmartPhones...

7. talfighel

talfighel Silver Member

For me, if you spend money on ads than that is paid traffic.

If you take some time out of your day each day and do some free marketing like articles, forum marketing, and video marketing, then that takes TIME but for me it is free because you are not spending any money to get that traffic.

It all depends on how you look at things.

A lot of people are not willing to spend any money on ads and are not willing to even spend time each day to do the free marketing techniques that do work. They want something for nothing which never happens.

8. jamess

jamess Member

This is true that TIME IS MONEY but paid advertisement doesn't mean that you will get quality traffic then your Money and little bit Time both will be wasted...

9. whitney black

whitney black Member

This is very true, nothing in this life is really FREE. Everything takes something, even if it's just a thought, to create. Free traffic does take a lot of time and effort..but in the end it's worth it!

10. A8ch

A8ch Gold Member

I agree that a person's time has value. And since we naturally equate value in monetary terms, then it's fair to say that time is money.

But when people talk about "free" traffic, it is generally understood to mean that no financial investment is required. It excludes any other valuable commodity that may be necessary, such as creativity and effort.

If you always look for the safest way to go in business you'll never...

- advance beyond a certain point
    - reach the next level
    - push the envelope
    - learn from your mistakes​

If you attempt to do anything without knowing what you are doing, there is a greater chance it could end up being a mess, so it makes sense to find out first what needs to be done and learn how to do it, before going in blind, with a hope and a prayer... and fingers crossed.

That is sooooo true! You can blame that on the part of our make-up that naturally wants to take the path of least resistance... our lazy bone.

Hermas

Vishal P. Rao likes this.
  11. FreeCashMan

FreeCashMan Well-Known Member

This is why free and paid marketing should be applied. They both are going to cost you something. If you are in effective in either you get the same result...no profits.

Many want to do free but don't realize the process in that to get a reward, i.e. instant results don't come to mind. Then with paid marketing people don't plan to spend the money consistently to test and get results. Thus they get frustrated with the paid marketing process.

All that being said, explains why quitter can't win, and winners never quit. Winners figure out through trial and error how to be successful at becoming a success.

robinincarolina likes this.
  12. robinincarolina

robinincarolina Silver Member

Yes, I suppose time is money. The time though to me is more like an investment. If I can spend a couple of hours creating a one page website and it gets to the first page of Google, I can make thousands and thousands for that two hours that I spent creating it. So I guess I see time as more of an investment, not as money.

Just2EZ likes this.
  13. whitney black

whitney black Member

It's true, ti takes time and effort! Just like anything. But with free traffic, once you start to go viral, the traffic just keeps coming even if you don't put in the time. You just have to really grind at first and then it comes easier over time!

14. KB24

KB24 Active Member

I agree with this getting free traffic takes time. SEO still works you need to produce good quality content then over time you will start to see your pages and posts in the search engines. But keep in mind all it takes is for google to do one of their algorithm changes and your traffic could be gone.

payment proof likes this.
  15. PeterMFL

PeterMFL Active Member

16. KB24

KB24 Active Member

There is no such thing as "free" Traffic.. it takes your time and or money.

17. R-david

R-david New Member

Hi,

I am really agree with you, that generate or drive traffic costs time ! but also I think there is good solution for that!

Team-Wrok, in every job I had in my life I believe in team work, team work would be solution for time and time management !

I have watched the big companies and I see the key for that is team work!

Good Luck !

18. Keith Everett

Keith Everett New Member

You either spend time or you spend money. If you can afford to buy traffic I would do it.