Freelance Article Writing - How much do I charge?

Discussion in 'General Advice' started by TFranklin, Feb 16, 2011.

1. TFranklin New Member

I've been looking into doing some freelance article writing for another site online. They asked me to name my price. I have no idea what to charge, this is completely new to me. I've only written articles for myself.

I looked at some other sites to see how much they were offering, and all I could find was $1.00 per 100 words. That doesn't seem like much to me. I spend a lot of time researching the content that goes into my articles, and $5 dollars for a 500 word article that took me several hours to write just doesn't seem fair. I guess if that's the case than I'll just stick to writing them for myself.

Please, if anyone has experience in this area, tell me if I'm wrong. What is a fair price? Is $1.00 per every 100 words fair?
  2. A8ch Gold Member

TFranklin: I looked at some other sites to see how much they were offering, and all I could find was $1.00 per 100 words. That doesn't seem like much to me.
    It doesn't seem like much, especially when you realize that some people are paying $35 or more for a single exclusive article. Naturally you would expect superior quality for the high-end price.

There are several things you ought to consider that would give you a better grasp of what to charge for your work.

1. Exclusivity - The articles will be only published on one site.
    2. Time - You'll be spending hours researching to ensure your content is accurate and up to date.
    3. Article Length - For example, you could guarantee your articles will be not less that 500 words.
    4. Quality - How much value do you place on your writing ability, style and command of the language?
    5. Quantity - Will you set your pricing per article or per series of articles?
    6. Frequency - How frequently do you plan to deliver content?

Each of the points on the above short list adds value to the finished product and should be useful in helping you price your product.

TFranklin: What is a fair price?
    Whatever figure you and the other party agree to accept. [IMG]

Hermas
  3. Rach72 New Member

$10-15 seems to be the accepted rate for a well written 500 word article.

Have a few articles ready to use as examples of your writing so that people can see the quality of your work.

Up your price when you have built up your reputation - I know of one lady who was able to charge $30 per article - and she was turning work down....[IMG]
  4. Freelanceken New Member

It depends on your skill level, and how much you value your time. As Rach72, $10-$15 is the going rate for web marketing articles. BUT that is not the top scale by any stretch of the imagination.

Hermas gives some excellent things to consider when pricing your work. Far too often people will settle for writing an article for $5. But, that should only be in cases where you know you can knock the article out quickly and you really need that $5.

It takes time to build up a freelance content writing business, but it can be done. It doesn't happen overnight and there are plenty of $10 and $15 articles along the way.

So to answer your question, is it fair? Depends on your individual situation. However, I wouldn't settle for less than $10.[IMG]
  5. Shanec New Member

It also depends on how familiar you are with the content being written. Are you an expert in the field, if so you could charge more.
  6. westfam11 Member

Tiffany Dow has a Ghostwriting Cash course where
    she explains how to set up a website, how to get
    business and what to charge. She says to start at
    $10-$15 dollars per article.

It is a good idea to have a website set up to showcase
    your writing samples, info about you, etc. It makes you
    look like a professional.
  7. Rach72 New Member

Yeah, have to agree with Rebecca - Tiffs stuff is great and if you want to learn how to write she really is the master (or mistress as the case may be!)
  8. TFranklin New Member

Thank you everybody for your input! You've given me a lot to think about, and a place to start.

Very much appreciated!!![IMG]