Full time college student...any advice on making some money?

Discussion in 'General Advice' started by drdave88, Jul 10, 2006.

1. drdave88

drdave88 New Member

I currently am a full time college student (incoming freshman) and I am interested in doing a work at home (or rather, dorm :lol[​IMG] job part-time. because I am in need of a laptop (college requirement), I am hoping to defer some of the costs by doing a few work at home tasks full time this summer. However, after that, I only intend to do it for a few hours on weekends. What advice can you give me? Any recommendations for low-committment (not daily telecommuting making business reports and pie charts) work at home jobs would also be appreciated.

I looked into LiveOps and some other virtual office jobs already, however, they don't appear appealing to someone who just wants to work a few hours, or even minutes.

How about surveys? I've done some a while ago when I was in high school, but I probably recieved a max of about $20 for the few surveys I got accepted into. Do you think it would be possible to make a few hundred dollars doing surveys?
  2. ebay_addict

ebay_addict New Member

I'm in college too! [​IMG]
    The easiest work at home job I have found is becoming an affiliate and selling products online.
  3. ginginca

ginginca New Member

Step one is proper research.

You need not only a product that sells but something that is demand (but yet not so much competition that you can't crack the market.)

I've been making a living online since 1995.

My advice is to find at least one niche.

What are your friends interested in? Do you like online gaming? Sports? Bars? Studying? etc etc.

One of the biggest mistakes that people make when they first start out is to enter a market "because it is successful".

Pick one because it is a niche and because it interests you.

Here's an example ... I run a blog on VOIP. I have been watching the industry for over three years. Then last year I started a blog.

My blog generates traffic. I post about news in the industry. I make money from adsense revenue as well as affiliate sales on this site.
  4. freelance

freelance New Member

Unless you know what you're doing ebay selling/reselling/dropshipping can be very difficult.

I'm also a full time student and I've found that the easiest way for me to make extra money on my own time is by doing internet research and writing articles about it. I make a little over $500 a month doing this alone. I can write articles at night while I'm watching tv and still study when I need to.

Let me know if you have any questions.
  5. Looking

Looking New Member

You can make money through affiliate programs but you have to work your butt off at first to get people to go to youre blog. Most people don't click on adsense but you can use Clickbank as a fall-back and have them click and buy something from there. Good luck
  6. netjobs

netjobs Member

First always believe that you can make money on internet, keep learning and test... there are people making thousands of $$$ in internet every month... it could be affiliate of some products or having their own products or having own websites and making money using PPC like adsense, yahoo search marketing etc...

in my experience, I am using internet for about 10 hours a day, in that 3 hours for routine works (like mailing, advertising, marketing etc) and the balance is for searching, learning new things etc...

I dont have any products of my own to market, I am affiliate with clickbank and CJ products and making good amount income from that and also having my own websites with PPC in that and also earning from that as well...

dont get frustrated, as everybody says 'Rome is not built in one day' now i am making around $800-$900 every month and my best part is keepup learning every time and every day...

so keepup learning, find niche one that fits you and one day could make 1000's of $$$ surely...[​IMG]

keep visiting these kind of forums and you'll get a good idea on somewhere to get started on making money on internet... dont pay any registration fee for any company that requires to promote their website or products like ad placing etc...
  7. drdave88

drdave88 New Member

thanks for everyone's replies.

i went ahead and took the advice and opened up a blog: [Link removed. Update your preferences to display your website as signature - Admin]

It's running off blogger right now, but I hope to have my own domain set up by august. what i think i'm going to feature on there is besides the adsense and amazon affiliate marketing, i'm going to write some reviews for clickbank products...in addition to the daily dose of news.

the average amount of visitors per day is only about 5..any recommendations on how to lure traffic to my blog?
  8. netjobs

netjobs Member

Quoting: drdave88the average amount of visitors per day is only about 5..any recommendations on how to lure traffic to my blog?

Keep adding contents on regular basis, you said 'going to write reviews for clickbank products', that's a good idea, dont try to put it all the reviews on single day, give between 2-3 days for every posts in blog... another great feature in blogspot (hope u r using blogspot for ur blog) is owned by google, so automatically you will get good traffic from google as well...

while writing contents to ur blog, dont forget to add relevant keywords to the content, its most important, you can get a free keyword analyzer at www.goodkeywords.com try to add as much keywords to the content...

after every new posts try to ping the blog, here is another site that helps ur site to ping http://pingomatic.com

try a google search 'submit blog' or 'blog directory' and submit ur blog on those sites, surely you will get some good traffic in near future... and also put statcounter on ur blog, to analyse the visitors and their paths to ur site, check where the most visitors are coming to ur site and concentrate more on that resource...

join these kind of forums and add ur blog url to the signature and try to contribute on threads that u known...

good luck... [​IMG]
  9. ebay_addict

ebay_addict New Member

Its good that you got a website up and running. Netjobs is right. Make sure that you add content to your website on a regular basis. Google really likes fresh content on webpages. You will be ranked higher in the search engines.
  10. sara92478

sara92478 New Member

If you just want to make some quick money, you can take part in the GPT programs. I've literally made thousands in a very short amount of time completing trial offers for these sites and getting paid to do so. I can give you some links if you'd like to take a look, but I don't want to be seen as spamming, so you can pm if you're interested. [​IMG]
  11. tinabee

tinabee New Member

Affiliate marketing and online business. You can find some fantastic information from netcashcows.com and ewealth.com.
  12. marksjerky

marksjerky New Member

There's some really good advice here! Great topic, thanks guys.
  13. nana225

nana225 New Member

i have go through the data entry or the on-line survey job, but mostly they ask for a payment to join them. Maybe I better stick working with Marketclub[​IMG]
  14. ebay_addict

ebay_addict New Member

I agree with Tinabee. Affiliate marketing is the absolute best way to make money online i find [​IMG]
  15. twnuck

twnuck New Member

Affiliate Programs work great because you don't have to create a product. But, you need to make sure that you actually believe in the product (i.e. that it will work) or you'll just stop selling it - period.

There are other websites out there that you can use skills, like typing, but it is not always as easy as they make it sound. I would research every opportunity first before spending a dime. Especially since there is such good FREE information available today.

Todd
  16. woolwayj5583

woolwayj5583 New Member

affiliate programs are best,but you still need to do a bit of research and work to find your customers.ive only been working with an affiliate program for a few months around my full time job,but i enjoy seeing the good results im getting. im entitled to play the lotto and euromillions for free with 88 and 36 lines in each draw everyweek as a reward for very little work that any1 can do. its worth a good try!!!
  17. pcwork

pcwork New Member

Many online teaching programs employ college students, you have very flexible timings
  18. mangozoom

mangozoom New Member

Popular link

some good answers ... making money online is easy once you've done the hard work of learning the skills ... this takes time.

So if you need money in a hurry, you might need to find a job to fill in the short term. Long term if you're studies allow and you get time learn about online income ... its so great

John Vaux
  19. jonskie

jonskie New Member

I find the best and easiest way to make money online is to start affiliating and advertising your affiliate link on google adwords.

Clickbank.net has hundreds of great affiliate programs to choose from with commisions as high as 75%, advertise as many as you like with google adwords or other pay per click solutions, google adwords is the best though.

If your just starting out its best to promote the hell out of one affiliate idea until you know your way around the affiliation principle.

Good luck!
  20. Eric Buck

Eric Buck New Member

There are so many options that it can get really confusing! Affiliate programs really are great but the real money is in creating your own product or service. Review your hobbies and activities, see if perhaps you know how to do something well that others would like to do too. If you are at a loss, freelancers can actually do all the work for you!

MySpace is very popular for developing traffic to your offer. Search the Internet for myspace promotion terms.

Eric