Funtime Vacations and Seller of Travel Rules

Discussion in 'Coastal Vacations' started by goldmills, May 24, 2007.

1. ateamfuntimer

ateamfuntimer New Member

[Post deleted - Admin]

Adam
  2. goldmills

goldmills New Member

BUMP

ummmmmmm.......

can anyone answer my original post?

I don't see the answer here yet.

With Coastal we sell information memberships, we don't sell travel, we sell info about how to save on travel.

Now, if we have to join funtime, or take on funtime, because of every countries or states federal regulation of "sellers of travel sevices..."

Will we or won't we have to get a license, pay lots of money to legally sell Funtimes certs, or are we under the company and therefore can use their umbrella license as our own and protected?

I can also appreicate the extra knowledge and posts here in this one thread. But...

That is what I am looking for an answer to...

Can anyone help out a brotha?
  3. ateamfuntimer

ateamfuntimer New Member

Jeff,

I know many different states have different laws on what you can sell and how. My advice would be to consult a professional. For everyone its going to be different and most of us asked this type of question when we first got started in coastal to a professional. They would be the best resource. Alot of attornies and accountants offer free consultations to solicit clients so it might be even able to be found out for free. Id try that.
  4. goldmills

goldmills New Member

I am asking members of funtime...

Do you roll the dice and hope you are clean?

Or do you have to find out from a professional, not in the business? I would feel a company like funtime would spell this out clearly as to not sign up it's members and then put them in peril.

With Coastal we sell an information product, information is not regulated on how we sell it.

Travel Vouchers, and Certificates ARE regulated.

This is a big deal that needs a perfect real answer, not a shuffle off.

Here is a sample of the wording of the State of Nevada, so you can see what I mean and make your interpretations. Each state will have an opinion and be different. See Nevada includes travel club sellers too.... wow... and watch out!

http://www.fyiconsumer.org/Forms/Sellers_of_Travel_Facts.pdf

Jeff
  5. luvtravel

luvtravel New Member

Don't you have to fulfill the travel to be concerned about the "seller of travel" rules?

Terri
  6. CoastalToday

CoastalToday New Member

Good point. Terri, that is what I thought.

And the document does state that it does not include "a person who contracts with a seller of travel to sell travel services or vacations certificates on behalf of the seller of travel"

To my own (not a lawyer!) way of thinking, Funtime and Inteletravel are the entities that are the actual sellers of travel and we are the people who contract with them. So, they bear the responsibility for the license.

Adam, has Funtime specifically addressed this question for its members? If so, please share the details with us.

Tonya Kopp
    Platinum Director
    Coastal Vacations
  7. ateamfuntimer

ateamfuntimer New Member

Again I would have to say that this is an area that I see so many that are in business for themselves falter out. I will pose the question to Fun Time but again as business owners you should be checking for yourself as well. Thats what we should always be doing. When you started your business your sponsor probably mentioned something about the laws in every state are different so check with your accountant to get details. We all did that. I will get in touch with Fun Time and get an answer but my thinking is if it affects my pocket and my business status I am going to check with the people I pay to take care of my business matters on this. I know that im good to do this in my state as I have already checked with my professionals. See you soon with an answer.

But in the mean time esp you Jeff we know the money you are making , go get your lawyer and accountant on it. But all jokes aside most of us are doing well enough to afford professional advice so Id say go get it. If you are not sure if you can afford it or not Ive seen many advertisements for a free consultation and im actually looking into an online lawyer service as well for my team. So if you want to get the answers that are for you and your state and your situation go get it.

Adam
  8. CoastalToday

CoastalToday New Member

Hi Adam,

While, in general, I agree with your perspective on getting our own advice, this is an area where any company - Funtime in this case, should have an official response.

It is their obligation to share their knowledge and to inform prospective members whether or not they might possibly be liable as a seller of travel.

If it isn't normally an issue, then they should put that forth as well.

That's what we're looking for here, not to avoid our responsibilities as business owners.

Tonya Kopp
    Platinum Director
    Coastal Vacations
  9. ateamfuntimer

ateamfuntimer New Member

I will again ask the question to Fun Time and get their official response but on my teams this issue never comes up as we all have gotten in touch with our own professionals ahaead of time. So this has caught me a bit off guard. Also if this had been a week day I would most assuredly given Rusty a call to get the answer before my next post. But with it being the weekend I figured id get an answer by monday. And especially with the announcement call tuesday it would most assuredly be answered by then. So stay tuned. For now if you have a lawyer on retainer or have your accountant on speed dial give them a call. Hope that helps.

Adam
  10. ateamfuntimer

ateamfuntimer New Member

[Post deleted - Admin]
  11. ibizniz

ibizniz New Member

I still have a hard time with Rusty telling my member her Coastal package was worthless and then trying to get her to join Funtime, not even mentioning this merger thing. That simply doesn't make sense to me at all and there is no denying he said this.

Harold you and I both, Rusty has said some despicable things and has caused some charge backs, not only that but has anyone tried any of the vacations he is offering?

I know people who have been very disappointed with his vacations (which is why they called him and he gave them a mouth full why coastal is so awful (yet it was his vacation they called to complain about) and that they needed to join his new program.

Does he have a customer service more than a message taker, like he had the last time I called him (and never received a call back)?

Maria
  12. decker2006

decker2006 New Member

Adam,

I think everyone has the number memorized by now, so no need to repost over and over.

Noreen
  13. ateamfuntimer

ateamfuntimer New Member

To clear up some misconceptions in this forum I would like to say this. The biggest problem with vouchers I have seen and heard is with the Fly and Stays. The company that used to fulfill them ran into business difficulties for various reasons and alot of the calls on how to redeem these vouchers came to one of the most accessible vendors in our great package. Now I was not privy to alot of the conversations that have happened with Rusty and many of you but I can say this. Fun Time and Coastal are in a partnership and have been since they became a vendor in our package. Fun Time has also created the best lead program for the dollar I have seen out there. I have personally seen my large team grow because of it. If we as team leaders are truly going to help our teams the best we can why wouldnt we get them all the facts. Thats the reason we have forums like this. To get the word out. Thats all im doing promoting the good news. I would suggest everyone attend whatever functions and calls they need to to make a good decision for their own business and the well being of their teams. I will not bad mouth anyone or there choices. As a business owner that is your right. So get all the facts and make a decision. If Fun Time is for you then go for it and im here if you need me as a team leader or as just a resource to get questions answered, if it isnt then I wish you the best in your decisions.

Adam
  14. ibizniz

ibizniz New Member

Quoting: goldmillsWith Coastal we sell an information product, information is not regulated on how we sell it.

Travel Vouchers, and Certificates ARE regulated.

This is a big deal that needs a perfect real answer, not a shuffle off.

Here is a sample of the wording of the State of Nevada, so you can see what I mean and make your interpretations. Each state will have an opinion and be different. See Nevada includes travel club sellers too.... wow... and watch out!

http://www.fyiconsumer.org/Forms/Sellers_of_Travel_Facts.pdf

I see what you mean Jeff, but it does say, that the person is (exempt) or does not apply to the person, if they require the consumer who purchases the travel services or vacation certificates to pay for the travel services by transmitting payment directly to the provider of the travel services or the seller of travel

which they do with funtime, the funtime member may sell the certs individually but the cost of the travel services are paid directly to funtime who should be licensed and bonded.

are you reading it differently?

cheers
    maria