Get Away From Home!

Discussion in 'Productivity and Motivation' started by getagrip, Feb 19, 2007.

1. getagrip Gold Member

Sometimes, when I do online marketing from home, it seems like there are many distractions. For some reason, when I go to the university library and do my work on a computer there - or even if I go to a local bookstore WITHOUT a computer, I can sometimes get a good amount of stuff done the old fashioned way - with paper and ink.
  2. arunkumarsuri New Member

I think we should not treat online business as a water tight compartment but integrate it with our lives. In fact there is no substitute for person to person contact and taking an opportunity to talk to people about online business may be more effective than sending 100 autoresponder messages.
  3. Vishal P. Rao Administrator

Very true Keith. There is another reason behind it. When you are in front of your PC, it's stressing (Try reading an ebook and you know what I'm talking). And when you are stressed, you can't be productive and creative. So the mantra is to stay away from your PC (and may be home) when you need your creative juices to start flowing.
  4. Anna New Member

Agree, when I am sitting in front of my computer I often get either sidetracked, or end up staring at the screen for ten minutes and then realize I was completely thinking about something else... when I sit on my bed with paper and a pen, I feel like I could write forever... just shows the good and bad computers bring in our lives! (Don't get me wrong I could never live without one!) [IMG]
  5. Chaz T New Member

Quoting: getagripI can sometimes get a good amount of stuff done the old fashioned way - with paper and ink.

Paper and Ink? Huh what's that? (hah)
  6. Anna New Member

Haha exactly Chaz.. a lot of people have forgotten what paper and ink is... from school to business... Im surprised Bic is still selling as many products as they do!!![IMG]
  7. talfighel Silver Member

I get distracted many times when I am online and "working" on my internet business.

The one thing that I like to do is to close the door in my room, put some nice music on, and do what ever I need to be doing.

The only distraction that I get is when a phone rings.

If you have small kids, it can be almost impossible to do anything so you will need to leave the house, get someone to babysit and go to nice quiet place.

Tal
  8. ka7952 New Member

The other solutions are working during late night hours when everybody else in your home is sleeping or early morning when nobody wakes up yet.

It is very peaceful and your brain works better. Especially in early morning if your go to bed early.
  9. juno44444 New Member

I agree so much!

For me it's the library. I go there and get a coffee and take the laptop and just work and work with no distractions. I can be completely focused.

The other thing is late nights when everyone is sleeping. It's a fantastic time for me but only works when I won't have to get up early the next day ...[IMG]
  10. Marktech Member

I can't see myself going to the library to work but I find that if I just take a walk around the block it clears the cobwebs and helps me focus when I sit back down at the computer.
  11. ownyourlife New Member

Treat your online business as if it were any other business. You need to take a break from it. Set up a schedule and discipline yourself. I make it a point to only work 2-3 hours a day and then make sure I have time for everything else.
  12. MyNameJoshRocks New Member

Yes, I like this topic. I'm mostly on the computer during the day. I play games when I get kind of cranky. Go stretch your legs and body right now, do it. You'll feel more relaxed and may go on to something else.

Being productive is also sleeping and doing other tasks other than business. Go play games or something, get that mind flowing. Relax your body.

LOL I love Anna's post. Thanks for the honesty.
  13. jschuman New Member

There are a lot of good replies to this post. I work long days, but I do take several breaks throughout including taking a walk, taking a nap, eating, watching some TV etc.

What helps me is having a to do list set up that I can work off of which helps me keep focused and motivated to accomplish things throughout the day.
  14. knslms New Member

agreed. It is way to easy to be lazy when you are at home. Unfortunatly for most people who wish to do this type of work, thats the reason why they wish to do it so bad. Work is work, we all need to be doing what we enjoy.
  15. NicoleDeviney New Member

I completely agree! For me, it is more ...I think of all the things that need to be done around the house and sometimes I just feel lazy at home.

I worked in corporate management for over 8 years and my home was/is my haven. Three years ago, I started working at home full time. It was definitely an adjustment. Because my home has always been a place where I "zone out" or "decompress", it was very hard to get into a productive mode. So, I like to get out and about. Coffee shops, library, the park...anywhere.

I always find if I do that a couple times during the week, the times that I do work from my home office are much more productive.
  16. sheryll New Member

I can totally relate to that! After working in a corporate environment, and not having to do work at home, it's difficult to keep yourself motivated at home. I'm constantly distracted too...or just feel lazy.

I think it's definitely important to make sure you get out of the house once in a while, even if it's just to go buy something from the supermarket!
  17. Phil Stones New Member

Some good comments on here - for what its worth I think you should try and schedule what you have to do - like a diary and even put reminders in your calendar so that it pings you to remind you 'times up' on what you are on! You really need to be strict on yourself when at home but important to take regular breaks to re-focus on other tasks and to eat !
  18. VictoriaNTC Silver Member

I print out me e books and read them in bed.
    Computers can put out negative energy, and yes become a distraction.
    Victoria
  19. Sorella New Member

I began working from home over twenty years ago with the arrival of our first child. I moved my accounting practice home and my office hours were suddenly from 2am-5am and then again at nap time. I loved the flexibility if not the schedule.

I began network marketing about 3 years ago when my youngest was 12 and still enjoy the flexibility. I do a load of laundry or dust furniture while listening to training calls or other things that don't require me being at my computer. I have to set my timer to remind me to take a break every couple of hours or I forget to eat and dinner would never be ready. lol

I quick trip to load the dishwasher, start the crockpot or do something with my children definitely revives me. But I really do depend on that timer or I completely loose track of time.

Thanks for the great ideas & advice,
    Rebecca
  20. Phil Stones New Member

Anna: Paper and Ink? Huh what's that? (hah)

ha ha ha - yes what is that ?