Get Away From Home!

Discussion in 'Productivity and Motivation' started by getagrip, Feb 19, 2007.

1. tmv New Member

Heres what I do:

wake up>make my bed>take a shower>make breakfast>THEN sit in front of computer.

Same routine everyday is a must to keep you focused. Set a goal then reward yourself with exercise, a walk, trip to store,starbucks, play with your kid/dog/cat, whatever.

Oh and NEVER TURN YOUR TV ON!!!!!!!!!!!
  2. Phil Stones New Member

tmv: Oh and NEVER TURN YOUR TV ON!!!!!!!!!!!

Very true.....
  3. vmohan123 New Member

I just recently had to make a serious investment for my online business:

Some eye-drops and an intense exercise regimen!
  4. Sonni New Member

I have to force myself to take a break I have always been a workaholic so I stay focused on work and barely think to eat.

I usually keep going until things look blurry then snap out of my IM trance and try to think about what is going on in the real world.
    Sonni
  5. Newbie Shield Gold Member

Striking the balance is important. I typically put in 12-16 hour days - seven days a week.

Sometimes you just have to make the time for a healthy variety each day, especially exercise. Once you get outside, you'll find that you are glad you did and are enjoying it quite a bit.

Doing the same thing over and over to break the routine can get old quick. I find that a variety in exercise is also a helpful motivator. I sometimes take a little time for a movie or a video game. I also do daily chores and errands.

The wife and I enjoy going out a couple times a week and we vary the activities there as well. Variety is a cornerstone of leading a rich (flavor-filled) life.

It's hard to peel away but it has to be done each day for a healthy balance.

~Newbie Shield~
  6. arcade New Member

talfighel: If you have small kids, it can be almost impossible to do anything so you will need to leave the house,

110% absolutely true!
  7. rcarney6 New Member

talfighel: The one thing that I like to do is to close the door in my room, put some nice music on, and do what ever I need to be doing.
    I noticed a few posts about exercise. Some of them talked about the need for variety.
    One of the things I have found helpful recently is to set an electronic kitchen time and start walking in place. Then I keep going all around the house. If my wife has not yet made the bed, I might make the bed as quickly as possible and while running or walking in place as much as possible. I might vacuum. I will pick up some dumbbells and do curls and presses while I am walking in place. I might run up and down stairs. i have found this to be helpful. Just get the hear rate going and do something for twenty minutes until the timer goes off. The reason this seems to work is because of the possibility of variety![IMG]
  8. Natalia New Member

Hi everyone, I am very new to this forum, but wanted to put in my opinion too. I started a home based business 2 months ago, i like it very much, but I had the "staying focused and being consistent" problem. So, what I started doing, is first thing in the morning, I drink my coffee, while my baby is still asleep, and while i do that, I try to completely relax, and watch "The Secret to Riches" movie. Then I go and look in the mirror, and think to myself: Is this where I see myself in the future? Is this the place I live in next year or two? Will I still be leaving from paycheck to paycheck? And, sure my answer is a Big NO, then I tell myself: "Get back to work and make it happen"
    If throughout the day, i get distracted, by one thing or another, then I look at my baby, and that's all I need to motivate myself!
  9. AsaDG New Member

Hi everybody

I also have the problem of staying focused on the computer while at home. The last week I've been doing most of my work at night or while at work (I have a job during the day). At the end of this week I will be unemployed so my motivation at the dayjob is completely gone... I therefore find it a good opportunity to use the time to do MY work on the computer.

Next week I'll have to have a solution to the problem of staying focused on the computer at home or I'll most likely fail at my business... It's good to see all the pointers from you here and after reading this I will definatly make sure to have a rutine and do some exercise every day.
  10. beginhere New Member

My best writing is in the morning (5:30). Replying to emails, writing ads, and that big to do list that gets longer as the day grows.

During the day while the children are at school I do a lot of this-n-that and only accomplish half of what I planed to do.

It's that staying focus part that always gets me.
  11. jschuman New Member

beginhere: My best writing is in the morning (5:30). Replying to emails, writing ads, and that big to do list that gets longer as the day grows.

I agree with you Susan. I am most effective early in the morning so I work hard at getting alot done then. Plus it is a good feeling to have the rest of the day to work on other things knowing I have already accomplished my main goals.
  12. timhale New Member

Glad to hear everyone is talking about getting OUTSIDE and away from the grind - this does wonders on your psychology!

I'm a soccer coach, so I'm forced to get out and exercise. This takes me away from the grind of my work, even though being a coach and promoting my chocolate business is still "work" - it's just the FUN part of work!

Stay active and productivity will come!

~Tim
  13. jaesun16 New Member

Right.~

I always go to Starbucks for my internet research!~

What I do at home is article writing only, because it is work I feel

more comfortable doing at midnight!~~^^

Good luck to your business~~

happy day~^^[IMG]
  14. getagrip Gold Member

I like Starbucks, but they don't have free wi-fi. If you are looking for free wi-fi, just type "free wi-fi", followed by the name of the city you live in into Google, and you should get some locations where you can get free wi-fi.
  15. tygersclaw New Member

One thing I have is a home office. No TV, just the things I need to run my business. Computers, printers, my internet modem/wireless modems, business phones and fax machines are in my office, basically keeping business seperate from family. I have seperate lines for business and home.

One must say to themselves "I am working now" and have a place in the home where family knows when you are there, that you are there to work.

I run a DJ company, web hosting service, courier company as well as work for a Union as a dispatcher so when I have to work, I want to do so with little or no distractions. Well except for my tunes. Gotta have my music whilst I work
  16. simplyg New Member

arunkumarsuri: I think we should not treat online business as a water tight compartment but integrate it with our lives.
    I totally agree. That's what's so great about creating your own home based online business. You can do the work in and around the rest of your life. If we forget about this, it can become just like any other job that we feel strapped down to.

I love sitting outside and writing articles. I also want to get a digital recorder so I can speak articles out while I'm exercising. The ideas always come to me when the endorphins are flowing, but it's hard to write or type on the treadmill!