Get natural light

Discussion in 'Stress Management' started by Vishal P. Rao, Sep 10, 2007.

1. Vishal P. Rao

Vishal P. Rao Administrator Staff Member

One very common stressor in today's world is computers. There is nothing more stressing and debilitating than staring your PC monitor endlessly for long hours. Research has also shown that children who watch televisions and computers for long hours have significantly lower melatonin levels. The chief hormone responsible for regulating sleep and other vital body functions.

Our body needs natural light to function optimally. With advent of computers and televisions, the amount of exposure to natural light has drastically reduced.

Although computers have become an essential part of our lives, we can however reduce our exposure to them by avoiding spending idle time (chatting, games, etc,), taking regular breaks and getting as much natural light as possible.

2. pcwork

pcwork New Member

Yes, one make it a habit to spend a few hours in the sun every day

3. broadland

broadland New Member

There is a positive aspect of Vishal's main thrust in a work-at-home-forum. If one accepts the general philosophy of taking more natural light into your body (and I do accept), then which is better ??“ a 9-5 job or a work-at-home job. Considering that "natural light" is mostly available in the daytime, it is pointless to get cooped up in an office or another work environment where there is artificial light only. It would be better to get out during the day and work-at-home evenings and night.

4. SFerber

SFerber New Member

Great reminder! One I needed desperately!

5. zack

zack New Member

I agree with this one totally. When I'm getting agitated i step outside for a bit and then I'm back to normal.