Get out of your Comfort Zone!

Discussion in 'Stress Management' started by Just2EZ, Apr 3, 2011.

1. Just2EZ

Just2EZ Moderator

It was hard deciding what category to post this under, humor, health, casual chat, meditation..
    but what it really boils down to is stress management.
    Much of our stress is caused by being "out of our comfort zone".
    But that is where most of our growth comes from, no different than your first teeth.
    In order to grow you have to experience new things even if you don't want to.
    I could go on and on about the uncomfortable experiences I have been through but
    this morning was one of those firsts for me to actually choose to be uncomfortable.

It started a few days ago when my "UFOLawyer" friend asked me to
    come over Sunday morning at 9am to be interviewed by a French TV crew.
    Uh, no, I am camera shy and not one for doing interviews even with a newspaper.
    I have always been a "behind the scenes" kind of person who hides from the spotlight.
    Most of the time I am behind a camera lens, not in front of it and don't want to be.
    The ONLY time I have ever been on TV was the Officer Friendly Show when I was 8 years old.
    I did "Jimmy Duck goes waddle, waddle" in duck talk, which was the show's theme.
    That is enough embarrassment for one lifetime.

Well, this wasn't about me, they were here to interview Peter about 2012,
    I just happen to own the website that has featured him the most so my view was wanted.
    After the hatchet job the Canadian TV did on his message he needed back up.
    No doubt the French will edit it to make him look like a quack too but I tried.

So, all morning I hesitated and said "No way I'm going" and then went anyway.
    We climbed Bell Rock with the film crew and they interviewed us on the way.
    To say I had a great time and made some new friends is only part of it.
    I also got to share my Real Time Pain Relief with some very sore hikers!
    One even wants to get into the business since he already is in a similar biz.

But back to the interview...
    IF you ever see me talking, well the only words that came out of my mouth were
    "I'm just a dreamer living in a dream".

Now you see why humor was the first category I was tempted to post this in.
    All my fears may be founded in fact but I faced them anyway and laughed.
    It took me 20 years on line to put my face on a website, now it's on TV, yikes!
    They will probably take every thing out of context and make me look a fool,
    but that's OK and part of growing up that only took me 58 years to do.
    I know my website traffic will benefit from the exposure as it did after the CBC show.

Get over it! Get out of your comfort zone and experience something new.
    It may just make you stronger.
    InJoy,
    jimmy

2. volybal3

volybal3 New Member

I agree completely, being out of your comfort zone is not necessarily bad. I think your "comfort zone" has nothing new to offer, after all, it is the place where you feel comfortable. In order to learn and continue to grow, we must step out of our comfort zones and see what we are made of.

I think the world around us is changing rapidly and we can't simply keep doing the same things that have work for us all the time. We have to change and adapt in order to keep our heads above water. I think that being out of your comfort zone is actually a good think, because it forces us to grow. Thanks for this post, interesting indeed.

3. robinincarolina

robinincarolina Silver Member

Posted for me at just the right time. Thank you. One of the top dating gurus has asked to interview me via Skype. I keep putting him off even though I know it is only going to help me. The interview is for his members only site and I will be emailed out to thousands of men. Scary as hec to me.

Thank you again, I will email him and tell him next week it's on. Shiver.

4. RICH4NURICHE

RICH4NURICHE New Member

That's great robinincarolina! This saturday will also be a time for me to get out of my comfort zone. At least in this business. There will be a group of about 30-50 persons who i will do a short presentation. What's important is to stay focused on the preparation for the event and not the event itself. I envision myself speaking at the event with a smile and knowing what i will be saying to everyone. Thoughts become things! Wish you the best on your interview.

5. robinincarolina

I have a forum. I started backwards. The site and forum will unite, but that is a different story.

Yesterday I emailed two other top gurus that I am an affiliate for. This was out of my comfort zone for sure. I had started a controversial topic and asked for their help and explained Upfront how they would add value and build my credibility and of course I would appreciate it. I asked that they please join, log on and post on this specific thread. Both of them did. One of them stuck around and posted for a couple hours. Priceless.

That was out of my comfort zone and also you would be amazed at the help you can get if you just ask.

6. happywife

happywife Gold Member

robinincarolina: That was out of my comfort zone and also you would be amazed at the help you can get if you just ask.
    Wise words! I think that is one of my weaknesses. I do enjoy my comfort zone a little too much. But look at the wonderful rewards you reaped when you took the plunge. A lesson to all of us.

Very happy for you indeed!

Blessings,
    Angie

7. Just2EZ

Just2EZ Moderator

Just2EZ: make me look a fool
    I don't need nobody to make me look like a fool, I'm perfectly capable myself!
    Peter on the other hand got roasted by Chelsea Handler big time a few weeks ago.
    At first he sulked, then realized how many MILLLIONS of people heard his message.
    Be careful what you wish for, you never know where it might come from.
    Chelsea was totally out of the blue because she watched the CBC documentary.
    That's proof of the viral nature of video.

8. robinincarolina

I just started video marketing. It was out of my comfort zone again. After about the third one though, it didn't feel so strange being in front of a camera anymore. I think that which scared me I may grow to love.

9. Just2EZ

Just2EZ Moderator

Was looking through my folders of full of "good advice" and found this old one:

Bob Parsons (GoDaddy)16 rules for success

1. Get and stay out of your comfort zone.
    2. Never give up.
    3. When you are ready to quit, you're closer than you think.
    4. Accept the worst possible outcome.
    5. Focus on what you want to have happen.
    6. Take things a day at a time.
    7. Always be moving forward.
    8. Be quick to decide.
    9. Measure everything of significance.
    10. Anything that is not managed will deteriorate.
    11. Pay attention to your competitors, but pay more attention to what you're doing.
    12. Never let anybody push you around.
    13. Never expect life to be fair.
    14. Solve your own problems.
    15. Don't take yourself too seriously.
    16. There's always a reason to smile.

InJoy,
    jimmy

10. A8ch

A8ch Gold Member

Just2EZ: Get over it! Get out of your comfort zone and experience something new.
    It may just make you stronger.
    Wise words indeed, Jimmy! Personal growth and strength require a degree of effort in order to manifest.

The "comfort zone" is really a peculiar imaginary place that seems to play tricks with our individual reality. We always talk about "getting out"of our comfort zone, but we never actually escape it. We simply expand it.

That seeming outer edge of our comfort zone is like the horizon. We can never get beyond it. It's always just out of our reach. So when we try to get out of our comfort zone, we are really exploring and discovering new sections of an unlimited zone that's already ours, and getting new insights into ourselves.

Every new challenge we take on ultimately enlarges our conscious zone of familiarity, which eventually becomes our default comfort level... until the next challenge.

That's when we embrace and absorb additional territory, and acquire new knowledge, experience and wisdom in the process.

Interesting stuff!

Hermas