Getting away from the Computer

Discussion in 'Health' started by payment proof, May 10, 2012.

1. payment proof

payment proof Active Member

Do you take regular breaks to get away from the computer to stretch or get some exercise?

I try to stretch at least once an hour. I also enjoy playing sports or getting outside to take a nice long swim or a walk.

Being online is fun, but you sure don't get a lot of exercise surfing the web, lol.

2. Vishal P. Rao

Vishal P. Rao Administrator Staff Member

Though I had resolved to do that often, I fail to do it owing to the addictive nature of Internet and my psyche. Sitting for long times in front of your computer can cause havoc to your health.

3. simpleflair

simpleflair New Member

Most of us are glued to our computer all day and even forget to take a bathroom break. I just started doing some exercises during the day. Some crunches on the balancing ball, some pilates stretches. On a beautiful day like this in NYC, I look forward to go running in the park.

have a great day....

4. talfighel

talfighel Silver Member

I now take at least 1 day off from my business online. I just don't open the computer at all to check anything. Doing this is better then working every day, day in and day out.

At some point I might as well even take the weekend off or even do Monday to Thursday and have 3 days off.

5. kmstudio

kmstudio Member

I definitely do take little breaks. On days I know I'll be working at the computer all day, I usually get up, work a little, go offline and get a shower and get breakfast, back on for a bit, then off again for some time outside or some cleaning, then back on again, etc. It makes it a lot more enjoyable! I can definitely sit for more then an hour though before I'm tired of it.. probably about 2 1/2 or 3 hours. [​IMG]

6. newbiz02

newbiz02 New Member

Yea i take breaks, but for a good reason like hitting the weight room (gym)
    or going out with friends, but im happy to get back to work.

7. HealthAtHome

HealthAtHome New Member

Here's a wonderful little graphic from the University of Pennsylvania that helped me to understand why it may be unrealistic to expect 30-40 minutes of brisk exercise each evening to offset hours and hours of sitting all day:
    http://www.diabetesprevention.pitt.edu/docs/Session 19 Standing Up for Your Health Handouts.pdf

So I try to get up to get drinks frequently, work at my standing desk as much as possible, ride my bike or walk for nearby errands, etc. These not only help me stay heart-healthy, but also mentally alert.

8. Kyle Morris

Kyle Morris New Member

Yes. facing computer all the time can make me sick. I would go out and take a little walk or watch the children play. During at night, I will sit far away from the computer, then think of something else, sort of meditation for a while.

9. payment proof

payment proof Active Member

I hear you. Eye strain can get to be a problem. It's always good to take regular breaks and do something away from the computer. Then come back to it refreshed and get even more work done. :)

10. CatherineK

CatherineK Member

I also try to stretch every hour or so. Long periods of time without it can be punishing on the neck and shoulders!