Getting the most mileage out of this or any forum...

Discussion in 'General Advice' started by Vishal P. Rao, Jun 5, 2008.

1. Vishal P. Rao

Vishal P. Rao Administrator Staff Member

Majority of the newbies into forum marketing make this mistake of being too assertive in their approach, often using explicit texts to coax readers into looking into their signature. I would like to stress on the fact that such an approach will hardly deliver any lasting results in the long run. You may make a sale here and there, but you'll miss the gold mine lying underneath.

If you truly want to get the maximum results from forums, spend some quality time here and share real information. Be real. Don't force yourself into making n posts every time you make a visit here. It doesn't matter how many posts you make but how many people that have benefited from reading your posts. The feedback you get will be far more heartening to read than seeing the posts counter below your member name. And these are the very people you'll most likely be doing business with.

Always remember this: People who visit you signature links after being impressed by the information you have posted, are far more likely to do long-term business with you than casual visitors, who visit you, being impressed by the text in your signature.

Haste never delivers. Anything that's built with love, care and patience will always deliver the most. Be it an ice-cream or a house. The longer the time you'll spend on them, the better they'll turn out to be. So don't rush and take it easy.

barason, Viat, mostapha and 97 others like this.
  2. opendomain

opendomain New Member

well said Vishal.

People who tend to try to sell online usually end up doing more damage than good to their bottom line. People buy you not your product...that's something I picked up in car sales long ago and it's translated beautifully online.

be yourself, be helpful and your long term goals are more likely to take hold.

3. getagrip

getagrip Gold Member

One of the worst things you can do is say "checkout my signature link" because it says "I want you to buy from me". Every once in a while, it is ok to point out what is in your signature file, but the reality is, like Vishal said, if you offer VALUE in your posts, people will check out your signature link without you having to call attention to it.

Rania, WENDY OWENS, babo khan and 9 others like this.
  4. mountainmom5

mountainmom5 Gold Member

Vishal P. Rao: Haste never delivers. Anything that's built with love, care and patience will always deliver the most. Be it an ice-cream or a house. The longer the time you'll spend on them, the better they'll turn out to be. So don't rush and take it easy.

Well said Vishal - and I take this opportunity to thank you for what you do around here. We appreciate it![​IMG]

5. Hemjoe

Hemjoe Member

I would have to agree with "mountainmom5" this is a great forum [​IMG]

"Its quality not quantity that counts" just remember that

6. million2

million2 New Member

I agree with what you said Vishal. I do believe quality content is very important and answering questions or giving good advise. You need to build a reputation first , so people could trust you and then they will be your loyal customer and friend.

babo khan, pafaye, tota and 1 other person like this.
  7. happywife

happywife Gold Member

A timely reminder Vishal.

Sometimes I visit the forum only to feel I don't have anything of 'real value' to add. Either the questions are not in my area of knowledge or the answers have been thoroughly given. I've been learning to just remain silent at those times. It was a process to get to that point in my thinking.

Other times I feel like maybe people will find my answers a bit 'one-sided' as relates to building niche sites. I try not to be too narrow in my thinking, but I can only really comment honestly on what I actually know.

Because my experience and knowledge is limited to what I have learned in my own quest toward building an online business, I feel my responses are somewhat limited as a result.

It helps, of course, that I truly believe and have confidence in the 'methods' that have worked for me, so my enthusiasm is genuine. But, at the same time, I do hope I don't come across as 'too assertive' and turn people away. It's something that must be balanced, I suppose.

At any rate, kudos Vishal, for a 'classy' forum that really can benefit all of us if we do as you suggest and build with love, care, and patience.

Blessings,
    Angie

8. jschuman

jschuman New Member

Thanks Vishal. Good advice for everyone who does forum marketing!

babo khan and pafaye like this.
  9. Newbie Shield

Newbie Shield Gold Member

Hi Vishal,

I passionately agree with everything you've said and I'm glad that you've mentioned all of it.

opendomain: Well said and I'm with you. Be helpful.

Hemjoe: Good point - offer value.

happywife: I'm glad I'm not the only one. Some times when I sign in, I stop short of posting because it wouldn't add any value. When that happens, I log off without posting anything. Once in a while it happens twice in a single week.

Your sincerity shows every time you post. I don't feel that you push SBI too hard. You always add value with your helpful posts.

~Newbie Shield~

10. cherie27

cherie27 New Member

Ok. I will take note of your advice

11. A8ch

A8ch Gold Member

happywife: Other times I feel like maybe people will find my answers a bit 'one-sided' as relates to building niche sites. I try not to be too narrow in my thinking, but I can only really comment honestly on what I actually know.
    It's natural for us to be our own worst critics, so I understand why you may sometimes think of your answers as one-sided. But, as you point out, you can only report on what you know, and what you know may be just the information someone is looking for at the moment.

Never mind how "one-sided" it may seem to you, to the people who find your post useful, it means the world to them.

Hermas

babo khan, pafaye and ExtraCashOnline like this.
  12. happywife

happywife Gold Member

A8ch: It's natural for us to be our own worst critics

I suppose you are right on that one. I guess I'll just continue to try to be as helpful as I can and if I get too carried away Vishal can send me a gentle reminder to pull in the reigns a bit. [​IMG]

pafaye likes this.
  13. Vishal P. Rao

Vishal P. Rao Administrator Staff Member

happywife: if I get too carried away Vishal can send me a gentle reminder to pull in the reigns a bit.

I need to send a reminder to only those who are not aware of what I'm trying to convey here. Those who believe in what I'm trying to convey here, need not be sent reminders even if they get carried away because some time or the other they will soon realize what they should be actually doing [​IMG]

14. LauraLicata

LauraLicata New Member

Great advice Vishal. I love visiting forums and have learned probably more about marketing by this method than any other.

Its unbelievable how many successful people out there who are willing to share their knowledge and I have always been so appreciative of that.

Take care,

Laura

babo khan, pafaye and Eric Mathews like this.
  15. annadenise

annadenise Active Member

You make excellent points. This forum is different than alot of them in that there are all kinds here looking at many different types of home business' and many ways to advertise. It takes a while to read through everything here, but is well worth the time.

Also, once you find your passion for your home business you really do not worry that much if you get that one more sign up - you know you have quality and you stop sweating the small stuff and work to build it over time, not to jump in and out of the next newest thing.

16. SunshineS

SunshineS New Member

Thanks for the advice

pafaye and Eric Mathews like this.
  17. purple

purple New Member

I find alot of people simply don't know a regular forum's acceptable behavior and thus when trying to advertise commit even more faux pas than they would if they knew the expected behavior. Lots of people feel that by reading a thread they need to show they did and agree or disagree. It takes time to understand you can read alot and comment a little.

18. SFerber

SFerber New Member

Thank you for the post. So well said!

19. robinku

robinku New Member

Being my first post as a member on the Work at Home Forum, I want to say that I agree with Vishal and hope to learn as well share my experiences, failures and successes.

Thanks for the advice.

20. CoastalNewby

CoastalNewby New Member

Hi everyone. This is soooo new to me and I am excited to be here. This is my first home-based business forum. I look forward to learning (I need to learn SO MUCH!) and sharing what I learn. Prosperity to you all.