Gmail for Your Own Domain Email Address?

Discussion in 'General Advice' started by Vishal P. Rao, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Vishal P. Rao Administrator

Did you know that you could use Gmail as a mail client for your own domain/website, for free? For years I had been paying upto $30/year for hosting my own domain email address with a mail hosting service. Basically this was due to the huge amount of spam I had been receiving in that email address (being an old one). However, there were many features in that email hosting service that I hardly used and I felt like I was wasting money.

In my search for an email hosting service, I came across a cool application by Google called Google Apps, that'll enable you to use Gmail client on your own domain for free. Isn't that great? You get the best spam protection, 7.5 GB email storage and the Gmail experience. I'm absolutely thrilled.

All you need to do is change the MX records of your domain, through your domain control panel, to route all emails to Gmail. Everything is mentioned on the Google Apps site. Setting up will take some time and know how but I feel it's worth it.
  2. Just2EZ Moderator

Saw that but wondered if gmail is blocked by some spam filters.
    Most of the mail I get from gmail accounts is spam.
    My own servers end up marked spam sometimes.
    Sure don't need one with a worse reputation.
    Have you tested the receive-ability from there?

One of the worst spammers is John1(2 or 3) from [email protected]
    Probably a spoofed address but he rotates IPs so blocking is tough.
    Let me know if you get blocked or end up in spam folders with it.
    Thanks
  3. Vishal P. Rao Administrator

I have no delivery issues. Agree that most spam will have a gmail address but they are not actually sent through gmail servers. It's only that the email address is gmail. Emails sent through gmail will have several features in the header like SPF, etc. so that they'll not be marked as spam, at least by sensible email clients/servers.
  4. Just2EZ Moderator

Thanks Vishal, I may have to make that switch on a site or two or three...
    I'll test one against hot.rr who gives me the most trouble with bouncing.
    Out of all the domains I send to, the one my oldest friend is on blocks me.
    But at least he tells me all his friends say that so it's not just my servers.
    ISPs are getting stricter all the time and make it harder to get unblocked, a fee even.
    One bad apple does spoil the whole bunch sometimes.
  5. ericlenhard New Member

I hear about it first time! Thanks, I must try!
  6. brett701 New Member

Vishal P. Rao

I believe you can only add 10 emails per domain for free. After that its $5 per month per account. Seems crazy.