Golden rules to follow when working from home

Discussion in 'General Advice' started by barbara20, Sep 19, 2013.

1. barbara20

barbara20 New Member

Hi all, I'm new here, but wanna make a good first impression:)
    I'd like to share a few tips for newbie homeworkers, which I believe anyone should follow.

Ok, here it goes:

1. Never, ever pay upfront for the ability to work. No matter, how it's presented (background check, starter kit, etc..), always keep in mind that they are the ones who pay you. Not the other way around.

2. Never make a business with recruitment of others, instead of selling. Why? Because there are thousands of shady businesses, who profit from recruitment (with upfronts, of course) and because they don't want to be labeled as pyramid schemes or MLM, they cloak themselves with products, impossible to sell. But the main source of profit is recruitment of new suckers.

3. Watch the common expressions, such as "excellent, super cool, one of a kind opportunity", or "make a zillion dollars in 2 weeks", or even "make money while you're sleeping", etc.. So, if it sounds too sketchy or too good to be true, well.. it's not.

And what are your inputs on this? Did you have any bad experience with online scammers? Please share!

And have a really nice day:)

payment proof likes this.
  2. SandyAaj

SandyAaj New Member

The web is as full of opportunities as it is full of opportunists. But the bad side shouldn't keep you away from the good stuff. Enjoy it with great caution.

Although sometimes, you really just have to risk. But be prepared.

Anders J likes this.
  3. payment proof

payment proof Active Member

I absolutely agree. Legitimate jobs should always be free to apply for. And legitimate income opportunities should always be free to start.

You are so right! They should be paying you! :)

4. Anders J

Anders J Member

To anyone including newbies.

We can split it up to Internet marketing and network marketing in terms of busines categories.

Internet Marketing is mostly about selling products with out much relationship with your customers. Typically you are an affiliate (many free options to be become one) which needs traffic of buyers.

Network marketing is mostly MLM style opportunities where you have to refer people to the products and the business form. Here you must coach the target market to their success and build the relationship. Look for attracting marketing when it comes to the leads. All this is covered in the WMI blueprint on my site.

The basics you need:

1: theme for website/blog and research your target market
    2: Website/blog with autoresponder for building the list of leads/customers
    3: Original fresh content on the theme regulary
    4: You market your website/blog

5. drknlvly6781

drknlvly6781 Active Member

Just a quick interjection. While what you have said is true about Online Jobs, I can't say that I agree about the income opportunities. While there are a number of free opportunities to earn online, there are also true business that, just like a franchise, require a fee to get started.

I would just say that make sure that, in the case of business opportunities, the fee that you pay reflects the value of what you will receive and will be able to earn. If the product/service seems worthless then trust that no one else will buy it from you. If you are truly online to earn substantial income as an entrepreneur you must be willing to make an investment towards your future....just make sure that you do your due diligence and investigate before you make any investment.

karen@apcareer likes this.
  6. payment proof

payment proof Active Member

Starting a business is different. But I still believe a job should always be free to apply for and an earning opportunity should always be free to start.

Jesse South likes this.
  7. Art

Art Member

I'd add one more - always Over Deliver! It doesn't matter if you are selling your own products, different peoples products or providing services. Do that and people will come back to you!
    Good luck :)
    Art

Anders J likes this.
  8. karen@apcareer

karen@apcareer New Member

Would like to say that I agree with you. There are alot of scams out there in the internet world, but you have to do your research before jumping in. The opportunities that are legit still require an investment, but you do get things in return. To make the opportunities work for your you have to put in the work, you can't just sign up and think this is going to work if you don't put any effort in it. For those that say "you shouldn't have to pay to get a job", yes if your looking fr a "job", but think about it, are you not putting gas in your car, putting your children in daycare, purchasing food for lunch, and buying the clothing attire to fit the job? You are still spending money no matter which way you look at it.
    Again do the research on the company and what they do. That way you can make an informed decision.

9. PeterMFL

PeterMFL Active Member

I disagree with your first point... I'm not sure about other programs but MLM does require upfront costs and they do work if you put in the time and effort... I personally have been successful with MLM and I have some friend who are with a different MLM company and they have been successful as well....
    It's not easy and it does take time but if you do it correctly in the end it does pay-off...

It is a real business and it has to be treated that way.... MLM is the same as opening up a franchise, a Mc Donald's store for example.... You pay to start-up, you work hard, you hire employees, you teach them and they take over from there....

However, there ARE scams out there so people need to be-careful and anyone that advertises MLM companies by telling you can make a zillion dollars in 2 weeks are not good leaders and I can guarantee you that they are not successful themselves.... That is what beginners do.... So lets not let what a few clueless beginners do ruin it for everyone....

10. drknlvly6781

drknlvly6781 Active Member

Thanks for the love Karen, and I just wanted to come back and say its surprising how many people use that quote, and never realize how much they've spent before they've even GOTTEN the job.

11. GTR

GTR New Member

I agree with you on points 1 and 3 but not on point 2.

There are some legitimate MLM/Affiliate Programs out there that make money. You just have to do your research and give it a try. If it sounds bad or they want money after a free sign up then quit.

12. talfighel

talfighel Silver Member

Guys and ladies,

When ever you see a JOB that is posted and you have to pay a small fee to join it, that will tell you that it is a scam.

Anyone can make money while they are asleep but you have to set up your business so that everything is run for you on auto-pilot. Whether you have a website and a sales video that does all the selling and closing for you or what ever.

13. Bert Declercq

Bert Declercq New Member

Hello,
    I agree with most of what you are saying but not everything is black or white in life. I agree that you shouldn't pay upfront in order to join a business. Starting up for free is the best way to go. But here my question to all of you: If you get started for free in a business where the product is highly consumable and not impossible to sell (Good pricing/ Good quality). How can you start promoting these products if you don't have any samples on hand to get people to try them. That just doesn't work.

So if you do find a company with an easy to sell product I think it's best if you get the option to do both. Start up for free or choose to buy some promotion material to sample it out. Obviously you need to have the choise, only having the 'buying promotion material' as a start-up option isn't really fair. You leave people no choise then.

You also make a very good point about the fact that some people just make it look too easy. Just get some people in and you are good for life,... You are 100% correct on the fact that if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. People don't understand that people get rewarded in public for what they did in private. Successfull people in every company had to work so hard to get there but nobody sees that part. Life is hard and so is entrepreneurship. DECIDE, COMMIT, WORK, WORK, WORK, WORK,...

Kind Regards,

Bert Declercq
    Young Motivated Entrepreneur

14. Sammy Preston

Sammy Preston New Member

Some offers & opportunities do require a little spend. We do want to be getting some love back though for any outgoings. One famous marketing consultant lived the line "if I showed you how to make a dollar, would you give me 20c?". It works both ways.

Bert Declercq likes this.
  15. shubha

shubha New Member

Great thread .......!!! Amazing to read words from experienced people .

16. SandraGJ

SandraGJ Member

I had a problem with a client once, but fortunately I learned how to deal with it. He wanted some spec work and I was still a beginner so I didn't no I should avoid that kind of job offers. Anyway, I did what he asked and sent them a million invoices but he never called me again. I learned my lesson though...

17. jmcpro

jmcpro New Member

Focus on what you have to offer. When you offer value, you WILL be paid generously.

18. gypsy639

gypsy639 New Member

As a network marketer whose roots go back to the early days of Amway, I'm always surprised and somewhat confused by the person looking for "free" business opportunities. If you were starting a brick and mortar business, there certainly would be a major capital investment required. Network marketing is no different. If you have to make a financial commitment, you won't cut and run at the first sign of difficulty. You'll look at the financial investment and do what it takes to become successful. On the other hand, those of you who are looking for a "free" business opportunity are going to bail on the first bump in the road.

My humble opinion says, do your due diligence and then select a company that meets your requirements and if there is an initial investment, pay willingly and commit to that business come h*** or high water.

If free was not so blightly thrown about, I feel the failure rate in the industry would be lower than 97%, but that's only a curmudgeon talking.

Russell Toews likes this.
  19. Russell Toews

Russell Toews Member

There are people that don't have the money to invest. I believe in having the opportunity to invest time in lieu of capital. After they have established themselves perhaps they might want to reinvest earning for a faster growth. I'm often a curmudgeon too - but not today. Good Word. I haven't seen it used for a long time.

20. ghomveld

ghomveld New Member

I completely agree. When you apply for a job, their not going to ask you to pay them to work for them - and it should be the same for any online job or opportunity.

payment proof likes this.