Google Instant???

Discussion in 'General Advice' started by mountainmom5, Sep 9, 2010.

1. mountainmom5 Gold Member

So has anyone else noticed Google's newest trick? (Google Instant)

What are your opinions on how it will affect us as far as SEO with longtailed keywords, and niche sites?

Maybe it's too early to tell.....
  2. A8ch Gold Member

mountainmom5: Maybe it's too early to tell...
    It's probably too early to tell. From the name - Google Instant - you get the hint that the focus is on speed.

The service tries to predict a user's query as each letter is typed into the search box, and modifies the displayed results as more letters are entered. I don't know how this will impact the algorithms that determine page rank and influence SEO.

Internet users have become so conditioned to promotions that promise 'instant' results, that shaving a few miniscule seconds off of a search query delivery is made to seem like a big deal.

Unless a program is developed that can read your mind, searchers will still only get the results they are looking for when their query contains sufficient letters and words to trigger a relevant response.

And that will take how ever long it takes the user to type.

Hermas
  3. talfighel Silver Member

4. newbiz02 New Member

From a marketers standpoint, i say "booo" to google for this new function. I noticed it the instant it was live, and i was like "Oh no what is this now?"

The search engine was immediately displaying search results for whatever I had entered. And alot of marketers are already loosing thousands of dollars within the past few days since this new functionality was installed.

Here are some reasons why this affects you: If you are targeting a nice long tail keyword, your traffic just got slashed because your potential customer already found what he was looking for before he finished typing in his search string, and it doesn't even matter if you are number one for your keyword.

The problem continues because right now mostly the well established sites will be getting the traffic because they are already ranking well for the 2-3 word keywords.

I mean isn't this why you are targeting the long tail keywords in the first place? because it is too difficult to compete with the more established sites. So i got to thinking, "how can i make quick money before more people realize what's going on?"
    As this continues, i have a feeling that only the people who are looking for something very specific will type in their full search phrase. Anyone who dissagrees with me pls state it here.

Google does not do anything for you or me as internet marketers. This is why im thinking we need a new SEO for this. I already have some ideas though. But i hope this is just some beta test, I hope they will remove it. But as i said earlier, it's not about us.

If the general public is pleased with this then google will press on with it. This will lead to more marketers looking for alternative traffic sources, good thing im getting steady traffic from multiple locations like twitter, and other social networks.

But it hurts when one toiled, and put your whole heart into finally getting your site to number one for a relatively competitive keyword and then this happens.

sheesh, i hate google. I only use them to make bank - but there is nothing friendly about our relationship [IMG]
  5. prohomeworker New Member

Yep way to early... Also I dont think it works across all browsers/devices it uses jQuery... Hey we will see...
  6. bryansmith New Member

Actually what is google instant and what is the purpose of it