Google's new look at over optimized website's keywords

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization (SEO)' started by esmconcepts, Mar 17, 2012.

1. esmconcepts New Member

Google's new changes to their index algorithms are taking a new direction at over optimized keywords on websites.

This is just any FYI for everybody, but the once popular style of dropping the same main keyword phrase on your site might not be the best things any more.

The keyword in the sites name, category, 1st post title, ECT, will be frowned upon now by Big G.

Here is a site post with more info on the subject:
    http://searchengineland.com/too-much-seo-google%E2%80%99s-working-on-an-%E2%80%9Cover-optimiza tion%E2%80%9D-penalty-for-that-115627

Hope it helps,
    Steve
  2. Just2EZ Gold Member

esmconcepts: The keyword in the site's name, category, 1st post title, ECT, will be frowned upon now by Big G.
    That's not quite the story, the story is CONTENT IS KING.
    Always has been, always will be.

You can still use keywords without being penalized - IF YOU HAVE CONTENT to match.
    Having keyword loaded pages without CONTENT is what the new algorithm penalizes.
    It's all good if you are providing useful information and not just a sales pitch.
  3. happywife Gold Member

Being "optimized" and being "over optimized" would be two different things, one would have to assume.

As Jimmy says, providing quality content is what the search engines will always want. Optimization is a natural process that helps the search engines filter and find that quality content.

Over optimizing goes beyond that natural process where people try to get their site ranked higher by unnaturally stuffing a page with keywords (overuse) and article spinning to get hundreds of backlinks from poor quality sites, and buying hundreds/thousands of directory/forum listings, etc.

Bottom line is "keep it real" and provide "quality content" that people will benefit from. [IMG]

Blessings,
    Angie
  4. talfighel Silver Member

There is a lot of great content online in the same niche and the ones that know where to put the keywords inside the optimized page will get the most traffic and be on the TOP.

Yes, content is king but with so many people basically doing the same thing as others, those who optimize their site better, will always win.
  5. payment proof Member

Content is king, but you still want to keep a low keyword density. esmconcepts is right on target here. Just dropping the same main keyword phrase on your site isn't going to work. You need to have quality content and use that keyword phrase sparingly.
  6. everythingsimpl New Member

Thanks for the information, it will be interesting to see who benefits from the change and who gets slapped.
  7. JayW New Member

everythingsimpl
    I actually benefited. I was stuck on page 2 and many of the sites on page one dropped off after the algorithm change and pushed me to page one. I've never been a fan of getting all my traffic from one source, but it was a nice boost to get the extra traffic. My goal is still to always get a majority of my traffic from multiple sources.
  8. sunnyblue New Member

It is really good in eyes of search engines if you use multiple methods of link building.

However, you should avoid keyword stuffing in link building too.