Greatest Challenge working from home?

Discussion in 'General Advice' started by Louis Reiff, Oct 18, 2012.

1. CoastalProfit

CoastalProfit New Member

Oh great! That makes sense! So you all see the same on your end with your picture! I just didn't want my
    picture where it wasn't supposed to be!!! lol!!!! Thanks again guys!

2. shutterbugjen

shutterbugjen New Member

Welcome Jackie! I too am relatively new to this forum but not to working at home. I have been working form home for 7 years now and I love it but it hasn't always been easy! Some of my biggest hurdles were the following:
    1. Staying organized and finding a space that separated me from the rest of the house so when I went to work in the morning I felt like I was in my work space not just in my living room or at my kitchen table.

2. Time management & creating a schedule was super hard. I am a night owl so I would burn the midnight oil but then not be able to get up at a reasonable time in the morning and seeing as how no one was there to notice if I slept late or not I found it hard to get myself disciplined. I also found that I would get distracted by things I needed to do around the house when I should have been working and I always wanted to go run errands and go shopping during the hours that I should have been working.

3. Being productive i found didn't happen very easily when I worked in my pjs all day haha. I eventually started getting up at a decent hour and getting ready and dressed as if I were going into the office to get into that mind set that I was going to work.

I hope this helps and I hope you are finding that you love working from home! Fell free to ask me anything as it comes up I would love to be helpful in anyway that I can!

3. Ina Stanley

Ina Stanley Member

Hmm, you've brought up a good point Jen. Perhaps working in pj's does not contribute to getting into the working frame of mind. On that note I have a couple of suggestions for others who might have experienced this.

I would even take it a step further than what Jen has suggested and not only dress as if you're going to the office, but actually go out. Go grab a light breakfast, a cup of coffee or even attend a networking meeting. I used to be a member of a networking group called Coffee & Contacts in the Durham area of NC. Their meetings were held every Thursday at 9am and I always felt more productive and positive and empowered and ready to tackle work after getting up early, getting something to eat and meeting up with like-minded people who were progressive and knowledgeable and uplifting. I'm not suggesting that you go to a networking meeting every morning, but if you can find something like BNI that meets weekly (and tends to have very early meetings so that they don't cut into your work day too much) you can add it into your routine and just grab breakfast or a cup of coffee on the other days of the week.

Now that I think about it, I have noticed that my most productive time while working from home was actually during a period when I got up at around 6:30, did yoga and worked out, took a shower and started work by 8am every day. There were a several good things about that. The yoga, workout and shower all woke me up, gave me energy and improved my mood. That boosted my self-esteem and confidence which helped me to work better (because I felt that I was doing good things for ALL aspects of my life). Also, I had taken in at least 2 meals and about 40 ounces of water by the time I started work, which also contributed to high energy and focus levels. And it meant that I was up and working during the time that is quietest in my household and most productive for me anyway. So if it's an option for any of you and you find that you have issues waking or starting work at a decent hour, perhaps try throwing in a workout, shower and breakfast before you start your work for the day.

4. mreese601

mreese601 Member

One of my biggest challenges was staying focus! Trying to get up and do this and do that before I new it the day was over with. That all changed when I decided to start working off a schedule. It will greatly improve your work once you do.

5. Jacq1292

Jacq1292 Member

As a medical transcriptionist with 12 years home, my biggest challenge is distractions and staying focused. It seems the work has gotten more difficult than ever, and particularly challenging dictators.

Regarding my jewelry business, my biggest challenge is not overspending (I just love buying beads).

Time, time, time. It just seems to go so fast, so you really have to have a task list or some way to stay on track, especially when you are doing multiple things.

For those days when I am sluggish, I pick something that isn't as demanding, but yet still moves me towards my goal.

6. Theresa Culver

Theresa Culver New Member

Thanks for your tips. Love the great ideas shared.

7. Scott Willoghby

Scott Willoghby New Member

I read this post for the first time today and admit I had to have a laugh (to myself).

My biggest problem was convincing my wife that I was actually working! She's seen me at the computer for so many years, emailing, browsing the web for products to buy etc etc - like most of us, so then when I started using it for work, I doubt she thought it was genuine.

Now as she leaves for work each morning, I get a list of things I "must do" while I'm at home - shopping, washing the dishes, tidy the garden etc. It's definitely a problem convincing her I'm working!

Might have to move to a small office away from the house to convince her - lol!

Great post by the way, and lots of great info - thanks!

8. Agnes Galinato

Agnes Galinato New Member

Since I'm a freelancer, frustration from not getting a job would make me sulk in bed for the whole day. Sometimes, I watch tv series that would completely take my focus on finding a job.

9. Mavenlink

Mavenlink New Member

Louis, whatever your goals are, believe that you can achieve it. The problem is not about being home, the problem is about doing what you said before you started. If your plan is work 6 hours a day on your project, then make sure that you really work 6 hours every single day. Discipline is the secret. i think !

10. One of my biggest challenges are staying focused and cabin fever. I rarely go out before as I want to stay at home all the time and work. Keeping a schedule of the tasks that I need to do first helped me keep my focus. I now also make sure that I get out and enjoy myself once a week.. :)

11. A8ch

A8ch Gold Member

Discipline is indeed the secret. The best (or worst) laid plans mean absolutely nothing if no attempt is made to implement them. It takes discipline to get started and keep pressing on till you get results. Very often that's the most challenging part of the equation.

Hermas

Vishal P. Rao likes this.
  12. Vishal P. Rao

Vishal P. Rao Administrator Staff Member

Just returned from a yoga camp and this point was the most stressed upon by our spiritual guru. He is 65 but as energetic as a 20 year old boy. He attributes all to his disciplined way of life. He gets up at 4am every morning and does his yoga, pranayama, meditation and music routine till 8am. He has followed this routine rigorously till now and hasn't missed it even a single day, not even on the day his daughter got married. Although he had to leave for the marriage place at 6am, he got up at 3am, completed his daily routine and was ready by 5.30am! You cannot succeed unless there is discipline and will power, whether it is work at home or any area of your life.

13. Setting the bar higher constantly.

You gotta set your intentions straight and your goals high. Once you reached your goal, set a new goal.

It's hard to forget that your initial short- to mid-term goal is not your ultimate goal, but a mere milestone.

Let's say you want to be able to make $100,000 a month and you want to reach that goal within 2 years.
    That might seem like a big sum if you're starting out with zero. But it's all a question of perspective, dreams and the reason for you to achieve that goal. A strong WHY can overcome all obstacles challenges.

However, 2 years is not immediate enough. So you might go with a shorter time span. I recommend 90 days as a maximum. In this example let's just say you want to make $10,000 a month and you set your goal to make $3,000 for your first month.

Now if you reach that goal after 30 days of making $3,000 not only this month, but residual income - meaning no more work for the same income - then laziness might occur. Who doesn't want to make $3,000 for doing nothing? You might feel the need to go after your set mid-term goal of $10k a month, because you have family or 3k are just not enough for your lifestyle. You'll feel the need to make more money and therefore you work harder.

Then eventually you reach your goal of $10k a month. It might take longer than 90 days, but you'll reach it.
    Now if you don't have a family, $10k can be plenty. No need to do more... But why did you wanted to make $100k a month in the first place? Is it for security, luxury or charity? A combination of all? Independence.

Being aware of the reason for your goals is as important as doing the steps necessary to reach your goals.
    Being continuos is the part were most people fail. They get distracted, side-tracked and give up to easily.

That in my opinion is the biggest challenge.

14. hetherz20

hetherz20 New Member

staying on it even though when problems arise and being cool at that time

15. Anniediva

Anniediva New Member

Hello Louis, I am pretty new to this too! My challenges have been keeping a truely consistent time frame to do the work and keep up with the follow-ups. I think I must change my working style (used to working in an office setting). I also need to get ride of any distractions for the period during my working time. This is much more difficult! Good luck and glad to see I am not the only newbie!

16. annadenise

annadenise Active Member

I think everyone goes through cabin fever at some point. Lately I've been so wrapped up in working at home that by the time the evening rolls around I have done absolutely nothing around the house except hopefully walking the dog. Alot of people think when you work at home you can do whatever you want. Often I am busier working at home than I was when I was in management for a large insurance co. over 2 states with 3 offices, lol! There are other times when I take a few hours a day or a couple of entire days off a week. I now make a point of taking weekends off unless I have someone that can only get assistance from me on the weekend. I have been working in the same business long enough to be able to manage what I do better now.

Everyone has to figure out what works the best for themselves. Most of my friends still have outside jobs so sometimes it is a bit lonely. However, I remember the days of rush hour traffic and all the office turmoil and thank my lucky stars I am able to work at home.

17. Shane1234

Shane1234 New Member

Staying consistent and disciplined. When you work for yourself you are your own boss so who do you have to worry about reprimanding you if you slack off? No one! So sometimes I slack off when I shouldn't because I know there's no one looking over my shoulder keeping me on my toes. Staying disciplined is by far my biggest challenge.

18. UniqueB

UniqueB New Member

That's Where Self Discipline Comes In :sneaky:
    I Sometimes Get Easily Distracted With Different Ads Or Links.

19. Jacq1292

Jacq1292 Member

You have to be able to govern yourself when you work at home. Nobody is looking. Staying on track, keeping your focus can be a challenge. I don't have a family and children to contend with, but still people have a difficult understanding that working at home is WORK! So, you have to set barriers and keep your guardrails up to avoid interruptions that steal precious time.

Being isolated can also take some getting used to, if you are used to a work environment, chatting with coworkers, going out to lunch, etc. But the rewards are so rich! Just schedule some time to enjoy visiting with others so you don't become a total recluse :) I go to church on Sundays and other than running a few errands during the week, that is generally it for me, so Sunday is a very good and important day for me.

Another challenge I have is that I can spend too much time on the computer, and let other things slip. Like right now, I really need to go do the dishes lol. So, setting limits on the time you spend on promoting your business, because a few minutes can turn into hours, is also important.

20. autobod

autobod New Member

I worked at home for almost 2 years. I treated it like I was still going to the office, I kept my routine and stayed on track. However once the kids had summer vacation, productivity was lost. It just takes discipline and focus (which is sometimes hard).