Greetings :)

Discussion in 'Work at Home Moms' started by LindsayC, Oct 16, 2008.

1. LindsayC

LindsayC New Member

Hello everyone!

I am a mom of a 3 year old son and I am lucky enough to be able to stay home with my sunshine.

I have been looking into working from home for some time now and have just found this website and all I can say is WOW! I am so glad I came across it. There are so many scam sites out there that it is really refreshing to come across a site that has real people on it.

I was hoping that someone might know of how I could get involved in data entry from home. All the things I find on the net are just scams. I know that it's one of the biggest scam industries which is really unfortunate for those of us who honestly want to do it.

Any help would be wonderful.

Thanks a ton
  2. pip87

pip87 New Member

Hi Lindsey, Welcome to the forum!

I am also a work from home mom and love it!

I am not up to scratch with data entry so i cant help you with that im afraid, i didn't want to get involved because of all the scams out there!

Have you had a look at other means of making money online such as freelancing or marketing your own website? It's just a good idea to keep your options open a little bit so you have more choice of how to make money.

Hope you find the help you are looking for in this forum.
  3. Seth

Seth New Member

Hello welcome to the forum ...

sorry dont have much info bout data entry but im sure some of the members here might able to help you [​IMG]
  4. westfam11

westfam11 Member

Lindsay,

When I was a new mother several years ago I did some data entry from home. I found the company in the phone book, in the yellow pages, under Data Entry. They had a listing of data entry companies. I called them and asked if they hire anyone to work from home and one company did. It was a legitimate company, not something off the internet. That was a few years ago so I don't know if that would help but I thought I would let you know about it.

Becky
  5. mountainmom5

mountainmom5 Gold Member

Welcome Lindsay!

As far as data entry, most of the online ones are scams but if you can find something more local as Bexky suggested, that might be okay.

Most of the online or even the little cards you get in the mail about data entry work in similar ways - they want a small fee to send you the information, which will educate you on how to place ads and send out cards so that others can now send you a small fee for the information to help them understand how to place ads, send out cards, etc, etc... [​IMG]

It comes in different flavors - sometimes it is called 'email processing'... envelope stuffing... ad processing... typing at home....but they are all very similar in what they offer.

I know - been bit a few times - but then some of us learn best by our mistakes.[​IMG]
  6. photomom04

photomom04 New Member

There are a handful of companies that are legit and hire for data entry but it is almost impossible to get on with them since they have thousands and thousands of applicants.

If you want a real job, it is easier to get on with the call centers like liveops and west but those still have a lot of competition. Put together a really good resume before you start applying.

There are lots of other options as mentioned before, freelance writing, blogging, selling, etc.
  7. LindsayC

LindsayC New Member

I had thought about things like advertising my own website but I have no idea what /how or where to make a website about. Perhaps I'll start putting a bit more thought into this option though as data entry does seem a bit iffy to get into.

Thanks
  8. palmsandbeach

palmsandbeach New Member

I have been in this for 2 years and have done well with it, I find the success rate directly related to one's dedication, persistence and willingness to learn and to market your business, you will be suprised to find just how much income you can develop working on line.
  9. happywife

happywife Gold Member

LindsayC: I had thought about things like advertising my own website but I have no idea what /how or where to make a website about. Perhaps I'll start putting a bit more thought into this option though as data entry does seem a bit iffy to get into.

Lindsay,

I personally think that would be your best option. I was in the same boat and had no earthly idea what in the world to build a website about or how to go about it if I did. [​IMG]

Now I've got three websites going and working on starting my 4th! That's a bit over the top (pulling my hair out trying to keep on top of everything), but I'm just saying that just because you don't know it NOW, doesn't mean you can't learn it and do it well. [​IMG]

My first site is about chocolate candy, of all things! You can build a web business about almost anything you enjoy or know a bit about. It's truly remarkable. If you'd like some tips, or want to know how I learned to do it, drop me a note via private message (just click on the little envelope next to my name above the little bird).

Blessings,
    Angie
  10. pcwork

pcwork New Member

Welcome to the forum! KeyforCash is a legit data entry company and there are many offering transcription work.
  11. LindsayC

LindsayC New Member

Thanks all [​IMG] I'm thinking that I might actually open my own business and sell homemade bath bombs and homemade bath salts on the net. I'm an aromatherapist so it would be a great way to use my skill as well.

If anyone has any suggestions to help out that would be wonderful especially when it comes to designing etc an e-commerce site.

[​IMG]
  12. happywife

happywife Gold Member

Lindsay,

That's a great idea. Unless you want to spend a lot of money on advertising your site, you want to be sure to build a site that will bring you free targeted traffic from the search engines.

Because of your knowledge as an aromatherapist, you can build a site full of information about the subject of aromatherapy, which oils are good for different things, how to make your own bath bombs, etc., as well as sell your own products.

You can make money by more than just selling your bath bombs. You can make affiliate income (commissions) on sales of aromatherapy, oils, candles, etc., and you don't have to stock or ship the products.

There are a lot of possibilities. I'll send you a pm with some information on how best to go about doing this so that you build a successful site. A site is one thing, a site that gets traffic is something else entirely. [​IMG]

I'm excited for you.
    Blessings,
    Angie
  13. cat_va

cat_va New Member

Hello and welcome !!

I understand what you mean. When I first started, all I got were scams. Its hard to find a legit job out there when you're just starting.

Honestly, allt these data entry websites and "jobs" are scams. Those that say you can make $300-500 per day, etc. You can tell a ascam by the job listing. If it doesn't give a lot of details, tells you you can make an unrealistic amount of money OR if they ask you for money for "training materials" or to apply, then you know its a scam.

The thing I tell everyone is to go on freelance sites. They have TONS, I mean TONS of data entry and related admin projects that are completely legit. You post your bid for the projects, based on your experience, how much you want per hour, etc. then they contact you if they're interested. That is where I started, and now I'm a virtual assistant with a few clients.

Hope this helps !!
  14. I'm new to this my husband is in the army so i cant take a normal job outside of the house( hving to leave a job every time we move and start over would not be an option for me) I have two kids a newborn whos breast fed another reason i cant leave the houe to work and a two year old i dont know anyone around here to watch my kids so i have been looking into jobs at home and found so many scams out there its just sad. If anyone here has a ob from home thats not going to take up all my time has no fee to start ( i dont have the money to put into anything right now) and is something i can get at least 500 a month off please send me a message or reply on here I need something we are just barely scraping by each month.
  15. WorkyAtHome

WorkyAtHome New Member

Hi Lindsay [​IMG]

Welcome to the forum.
  16. cat_va you said to go on freelance sites well the only ones i came across were asking for over $40 to register with the site i'm guessing its a scam and after i register there will be no one looking at the site to offer a project or job. So if you know of any with no fees please let me know.
  17. happywife

happywife Gold Member

youngarmywife,

If you are in the US, take a look at Amazon's Mechanical Turk. There may be some small jobs there you can do to get the ball rolling and get a little practice while you are looking for something more suited to your needs and abilities.

Maybe once you get a little money coming in, you'll want to invest in yourself to start your own website business. I really think that is the best option over the long haul, but it takes a bit of work and effort up front before you start generating regular monthly income.

Blessings,
    Angie