Has Anyone everSigned up for a Mentoring or Coaching Course?

Discussion in 'Ideas' started by Daylynne, Jul 17, 2009.

1. Daylynne

Daylynne New Member

HI
    I'm looking for anyone who has ever tried a Mentoring course, and what success (or not so successful) results you may have had.

I am writing a book on Making Money on line, and now need a chapter on the many Mentoring programs being offered.

As they are very pricey (in the thousands) I want to tell anyone interested in them if it is worth their while... or worth the money.

Any answers from you will be appreciated. (Even if you only heard or know someone who did take one of these would help).

Thanks Lots,
    Daylynne Starr
  2. getagrip

getagrip Gold Member

I wouldn't recommend most of them, because I've read many stories about people getting ripped off by coaching programs - like people investing $5,000 and not earning a dime. Wealthy Affiiliate does offer good coaching at a reasonable price - and there are probably a few other good ones out there - but it would be hard to recommend anything that charges more than $50 a month.
  3. mjb13815

mjb13815 New Member

Hello getagrip, have you done the coaching program at Wealthy Affiliate? Is it worth it?
  4. TyBrown

TyBrown New Member

I'm not sure I would call a $50 membership site a coaching program. Probably tons of good information but I think the question dealt with one-on-one coaching, and no one-on-one coach would take $50 for anything more than 15 minutes of time.

I work around and know many coaches and I don't know any of them who aren't charging thousands for their services. These are business consultants and coaches who get results for their clients.

I also know of mentoring programs that are sold as back end upsells for people buying infomercial products. I know many people who work in this industry and most will tell you, off the record, that the coaching really isn't that valuable.

So it depends on what type of program you are looking into whether you are getting value or not.

When I hire coaches for myself I pay a lot of money, expect to, and am glad to do it.
  5. Liquification

Liquification New Member

I have taken a coaching program by The Rhodes Bros. and it was worth every penny. It was called the BLH Challenge and it delievered everything it guaranteed and more. Loved it.
  6. gowriter

gowriter Member

I've tried 7 different coaching courses, and the most expensive one I paid for (which I'm still paying back) was over $7000. It was overpriced. Then the $2000 I joined was a little better, but was also overpriced.

The industry standard is about $10000 per year. There are people getting professional coaching for real estate marketing which costs as much as $20,000 for a year's worth of training.

On-on-One coaching costs more than anything. What typically happens is that your have weekly phone-in sessions with your coach. They will guide you through keyword research using tools their company has developed. They'll get you to purchase web hosting that their company supports which is twice the cost of a normal web hosting package on the internet that you could have bought yourself.

Are they legitimate: 100%. That's what causes them to justify the high pricing.

Usually, these professional coaching courses have gotten your phone number via another coaching course they partnered with. These people will call you.

the people who call you on the phone are the sales pitch people. If you decide to join, you get passed on to an administrator who will set you up an account. Then you get passed some other person who summarizes everything for you and schedules your first session. When you are met with your coach, it's a completely new person all together. So by the time you meet your coach, you've gone through about 4 or 5 people. They treat this as a business.

The pros of a coaching course is that you work directly with actual experts in internet marketing. The bad side is that it can burn a hole in your pocket.

When your phone-in sessions are done, 3 weeks to 10 weeks usually, you are left to do things on your own. If you have questions, you can phone in to their customer service center for questions or you can email your coach who has other students to deal with.

Interestingly enough, many of these professional coaching courses are based out of Utah for some reason.

However, I've found that the best coaching programs were the smaller, cheaper, online ones like Wealthy Affiliate or Weber Internet Marketing (which is the one I use). These programs are created by the owner of the programs themselves who are the coaches.

These guys over deliver because they've done everything first hand from experience and can relate to newbies on a personal level without feeling "corporate".

They usually design their programs to have access to all their materials, specialized equipment (if any), their individual ebooks, video tutorials, tips. They usually have a forum which they answer on a daily basis. It's designed to support the masses who can learn at their own pace.

The number of members is what allows the price to stay low, usually less than $400 for a period of time. Wealthy Affiliate is cheaper than Weber Internet Marketing, but Weber Internet Marketing is best suited for those who are visual learners and think technically and meticulously.

I recommend these smaller group courses for newbies getting started because they are affordable and reliable.
  7. TyBrown

TyBrown New Member

gowriter- I live in Utah and have worked for a couple of these coaching programs. The leads all come in through infomercials or through people that have attended free seminars at a hotel.

In these companies the coaches really aren't experts. They are reading off a script and giving out info that the company has designed. It's good info, but they aren't working in the business themselves.

Like I say, the info is good but you can actually go get better info by approaching people who are doing what you want to do. That is personally how I look for coaches. I look for someone who is doing what I want to do and go buy their course, hire them for a few hours of coaching, partner with them on a business idea, etc.
  8. waltgem

waltgem New Member

I paid more than $7000 for a coaching program. Approximately 2/3rds of which involved researching for a niche. It did include building the website and assistance with a sales letter. However, there was so much more to learn about marketing etc. Then the pitch came to sign up for more lessons.

In my opinion the instructor was knowledgeable, but the course was far overpriced for the information recieved and left me with very little chance for any success.
  9. JoyBringsWealth

JoyBringsWealth New Member

If someone were interested in being coached, would it be better get coaching when first starting out as a beginner with affiliate marketing or would it be best to wait until you have learned a little bit about marketing and had a little more experience under your belt, then use the coaching to propel your business?
  10. thefortunemaker

thefortunemaker New Member

Hi guys,

for the price of some of these coaching courses,you could find a decent business opportunity with a good back office and live training webinars.

just last week we had steve shuitt do a live training webinar for our members. and before that we had michael j losier,expertr on law of attraction.

google those names and you'll find they are big names in this industry.

i've learned so much from some of these guys and i can tell you i never spent anywhere near $$$$'s.

if you want to spend thousands for training,pass it my way and il teach you lol

Best wishes

Robert
  11. westfam11

westfam11 Member

This doesn't actually fit in the category of "one on
    one mentoring", but I did pay money to go to a
    Dani Johnson seminar for a weekend. It was well
    worth the money and it totally changed the way
    I look at business and helped me with my
    mindset.

Becky
  12. TCharmLady

TCharmLady New Member

When I started out on my journey to have an internet business I was talked into the idea that I had to have a coach. After paying $5000 I found that I myself could have been the coach.

I am afraid that the 'coach' learned off me while I paid the bill!

However, it was a learning experience. And what I learned is that I dedictated a lot of time to any FREE webinars or information I could lay my hands on. Then I took all the information and used only what pertained to me and my goals.

When I started to see that my product was truly a business and making income, then I decided to take on a coach for marketing on the internet. It has been the best money spent so far.

So maybe it is best to get your feet wet with all the FREE info you can get (don't be pressured to sign up for anything), apply it to your specific business goals and once you see an income, then consider looking into a professional marketing or internet coach.

That is my take on it. Enjoy!
  13. Newbie Shield

Newbie Shield Gold Member

Interesting thread :)

~Newbie Shield~
  14. JRiven

JRiven New Member

After reading through this thread it seems to me that there are several different ideas about what a coach is and does reflected in the answers. Think about it from the perspective of a sports coach--the coach doesn't play the game, he motivates the players and makes suggestions for improvement.

I believe the players are expected to know the rules of the game before they join the team. Can they learn the game and play without a coach? Undoubtedly. Will they get to play at the same level without joining a team and paying attention to the coach? Not a chance.

That said, there are plenty of internet marketers out there who are giving away tons of good material for free to establish that they know their stuff. Most of them offer some kind of advanced program as well. Why not take advantage of all the free stuff to determine where you want to focus, and then 'join the team' that makes the most sense to you? Like a couple of others who have posted in the past, I have found real value from Terry Dean. His latest post at www.terrydean.org speaks to this subject.

Just don't get carried away by hype. When I stopped looking for the Easy button and got to work, I became a lot happier than when I was beating myself up because someone made $32,147 in one day and I didn't.
  15. Andy3568

Andy3568 New Member

Wow, I'm glad I found this thread. I was contacted by a coaching company who got my name from an online course I signed up for. And yes, they were out of Utah.

What I found frustrating about them was that they did not give me the name of the company, their phone number came up unlisted in the reverse lookup, and when I called them, a machine picked up, and the recording didn't give a company name either. I'm sorry, but if I'm going to pay thousands of dollars for coaching, I want (1) the name of your company so I can at least check with the Better Business Bureau, (2) a write-up of our agreement as to what you provide, what my responsibility is, and any guarantees, if applicable, and (3) references I can call to see if you're as good as you say you are. If they could get me earning thousands a month, I'll be glad to be a reference. If they can't supply any, that should be a red flag.
  16. TCharmLady

TCharmLady New Member

Another side note ..... there are different kinds of coaches as well. Especially if you are thinking of someone to coach you through setting up a business, website vs. a coach that motivates and challenges you to keep your goals.

Once you are pretty sure of what direction you and your business are taking, then it will be more clear if coaching would help.

And I agree with Andy - make sure you can get their names, phone #'s, business address, etc. and CHECK THEM OUT! And asking for references is a very good idea too.
  17. MrSir

MrSir New Member

IMO there are some good high priced coaching programs, but I would steer clear until you have more experience and need more advanced coaching. My Mom signed up for a $5k coaching course (without consulting me) and got so confused because she got so much information and just couldn't figure out how to get things going. A total waste of perfectly good cash.

I'd stick with the lower priced stuff, although it won't be individual coaching, but there are very reasonable (like $20-30) a month coaching that is more like video coaching. It isn't going to be individual to you but it can help tremendously because it is in video form and some actually shows you step by step how to get started.

Wealthy Affiliate is great, but I wouldn't call it coaching. It is more of an online internet marketing membership course. You can get individualized help (the moderators do answer questions). I've been a member for a couple of years and love it, but you can get major information overload.
  18. AthertonMarket

AthertonMarket New Member

I was mentored by a great Network Marketer (Who normally charges $500 per hr) due to my Degree being from MIT. I'm now ready to share some.
  19. Yeoch

Yeoch Member

I was once being approached by a Danny Robbins of PushTraffic / JumpLaunch in early 2009. He talked me into agreeing with his mentoring program. He said I could pay up the US$5,000 after earning at least US$6,000. He later asked for details of my credit card and the 3-digit CCV, saying that such details were needed to be included in an Agreement Letter.

I did receive the said Agreement Letter with some details of my credit cards there via email. A few hours later, I also received a phone call from my bank saying that US$5,000 had been charged to my credit card!

I emailed to Danny of PushTraffic / JumpLaunch, for clarification. He said he would sort out everything when I emailed a signed copy of the Agreement Letter.

I filed a dispute form on fraudulent charge and requested my bank to do its utmost to reverse the charge. I also filed a rip-off report.

Before I filed a rip-off report, I searched and found some other persons also complaint of rip-off from the same entity.

A self-claimed President of PushTraffic / JumpLaunch phoned me 5 months after the dispute. He said he had my Agreement Letter and why was I claiming dispute. I said I didn't sign on nor email any Agreement Letter. He said he would check deeper into my case.

After six months, my bank said the dispute was resolved in my favour by default.

I learnt my lesson - don't trust any mentor who asked for my credit card right away.

Since Aug 2009, I've found another useful site to check on Internet offerings at Real People Real Reviews site.

Do check and obtain solid and verifiable credentials of any mentor before proceeding.
  20. TCharmLady

TCharmLady New Member

It's unfortunate that we still have so people like that spending so much time figuring out how scam people instead of providing a legitimate product or service.

Fortunately I did find a legit coaching program and have been very pleased with the service, the products and my coach!

Thank you for providing the site so that others can 'check things out' before they make any descision when it comes to making an invest.