Has google changed the way it indexes web pages?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization (SEO)' started by shiz101, Dec 6, 2010.

1. shiz101

shiz101 New Member

Hey guys,
    I've heard some talk about google not just using keyword density to index web pages anymore. The term "Latent Semantic Indexing" has appeared quite a few times when I've tried to do a bit of a web search about this issue. Can anyone confirm whether or not google has changed their indexing methods? If so, how exactly have they changed them (I'm a bit of a beginner so if someone could explain latent semantic indexing to me that would be awesome)
    Thank you[​IMG]
  2. Just2EZ

Just2EZ Moderator

LSI is like using a thesaurus instead of a dictionary.
    Instead of just "cell phone" it will look for words like "mobile phone" or "Android".
    It checks the content for relevance using a broad definition of the keywords.
    So you can't reach #1 just by saying "cell phone" 100 times anymore.
    Google started using it years ago to determine AdSense placements
    and now they are using it for search indexing placement by relevance.
    Most search engines are moving in that direction.
  3. mountainmom5

mountainmom5 Gold Member

Which actually benefits us that are building content rich sites.[​IMG]
  4. Ron S

Ron S New Member

5. talfighel

talfighel Silver Member

I heard many time over and over again that Google always change indexing methods so there is no one good rule and there is nothing we can do about it.

You should never rely on them to get you traffic. While your site might be indexed and shown on page one on Google, one day your site may get to page 150 with a blink of an eye.
  6. jamess

jamess Member

Google is changing its all algos time to time so no one can give you any confirm note on this..