Health Insurance advice & policy options

Discussion in 'General Advice' started by shutterbugjen, Nov 19, 2012.

1. shutterbugjen

shutterbugjen New Member

Hello All,

Recently my Husband quite his full time job in corporate America to start his own business. Since I own my own business and work for myself out of the home we counted on his job for health insurance. Now that that is gone we have no idea what our options are for health insurance options and policies for the two of us as well as our 6 month old son.

We have looked into several options all of which are just to much for us right now while we are still getting the business off the ground. If anyone has any suggestions on where to find good low cost insurance for work from home small business owners that has decent coverage I would LOVE to hear from you!

THANK YOU,
    JEN
  2. YAGOOFT

YAGOOFT Member

Good question,

Everyone who has made the leap from corporate America to their own business is confronted with same decision, I know this was one of the more difficult obstacles I had to confront years ago. I went with a Cobra plan which basically converts what you had for coverage from employer, only difference, you pay the full amount, but at the rate of group given most employers plans are less than if you got same coverage indepenedently. Given the obamacare deal is now being fully understood, we see some real severe increases in costs overall, so the decision is more difficult today than it was when I had to make my decision. I eventually got off Cobra and got coverage through a group plan offered through Chamber of Commerce, so this is an option I would look at for group coverage is always less than individual plan rates. Another option is to look for catostrophic coverage plans with a high deductible to save money.

Good luck to all,
  3. payment proof

payment proof Active Member

You may want to check with the State you live in. I know that many states offer discounted health insurance programs for individuals and small business owners, based upon income. A plan like that may help you save some money.

Good luck. :)
  4. getagrip

getagrip Gold Member

Check out www.ehealthinsurance.com. They have all kinds of plans you can look into depending on how much you can afford. In my case, plans start out at about $45 per month and go up to $289 a month. Of course, that is insurance just for my self, with no spouse or dependents. You will find that the lower rates have higher deductibles with less services covered, while lower rates have lower deductibles with more services covered. If you are really strapped for cash, you could just try to find a low cost plan that has higher out of pocket expenses for basic services like doctor visits when you have a cold, but still has good coverage for more serious emergencies such as broken bones.