Health Insurance

Discussion in 'Health' started by MNorthrup, Feb 6, 2009.

1. MNorthrup

MNorthrup New Member

If you are in business for yourself, you know that one of the not so pleasant experiences is trying to find affordable health insurance.

How do you get around this?
  2. mountainmom5

mountainmom5 Gold Member

Make enough so you never have to worry about it - LOL![​IMG]

No, seriously, that is an issue many of us face with being self-employed... Here in MT we can get dental and dr care based on our income, which is really nice as that way when you are first starting out, you can still get medical help until your income goes up to where you can afford to pay reg prices.

Plus we also have a health program for kids of middle class families --- families that do not quality for government health care but are not in the 'rich class' either.

So you might want to check what is available in your state..

Like, it costs only $10 - $30 to have your teeth cleaned at the dentist, and about that much to see a dr.... it's a great program and more states should have it, maybe they do, I don't know...

I had wanted to sign up for Ameriplan for our kids several years (and do the business as it is an mlm company) but MT is one of the states that does not accept that program and it is because they have something of greater value in place already...

(I think the NW should become it's own country but then maybe I shouldn't say that as I don't want to start a political argument... :lol[​IMG]
  3. Matt Zenittini

Matt Zenittini Silver Member

I have a nice PPO with Geisinger. It has excellent coverage at a small premium at $97 a month.

I have a max out of pocket yearly expense of $750.
    Small copays ($25 doctor 10% hospital e.g. surgery etc.)
    PPO
    No lifetime limit.

I'd look into them =]
  4. annadenise

annadenise Member

Matt Zenittini: I have a nice PPO
    with Geisinger. It has excellent coverage at a small premium at $97 a month.

I have a max out of pocket yearly expense of $750.
    Small copays ($25 doctor 10% hospital e.g. surgery etc.)
    PPO
    No lifetime limit.

I'd look into them =]

Do they exclude pre existing conditions? I am working at home now full time and we pay alot, but my husband has some pre-existing conditions. I'm trying to look into something at least for my college age kid's that is lower priced.

I found on dental that there are alot of discount program's that are so inexpensive, with a set fee for services, that they actually are cheaper than traditional dental insurance coverage.
  5. Matt Zenittini

Matt Zenittini Silver Member

Geisinger does exclue pre existing conditions =[. Sorry.
  6. jeffathome

jeffathome New Member

You could also try Humana or Assurant. They have pretty good rates.
  7. AJFarro

AJFarro New Member

I had Humana for a couple of years. My doctor's office had nothing but problems trying to collect from them. In fact, Humana completely ignored about 3-4 of doctor's billings for things they had paid for in the past. No amount of calling or letter writing from myself or my doc's office helped. My doc's office was nice enough to settle for $150 with me for about $700 in unpaid claims.

I did manage to speak with a person one time to find out why a claim wasn't paid. She said it was processed by the computer and not a human, but she promised me she would put a rep on it. Nothing ever happened.

Have you ever watched Michael Moore's Sicko documentary? Netfilx it. It's a real eye-opener. They mentioned something in there about computer processed claims being rejected. Unless you resubmit and request a person to process it, you're SOL.
  8. melanow

melanow New Member

MNorthrup
    I have the solution to the health insurance problem.

You could move to a country that has what most americans call "socialized medicine"

I call it "civilized medicine"

IMO it is immoral to have 40-50 thousand people dying every year just so that the insurance companies can have bigger profits.

There is something wrong with this picture.
  9. ChristinaM

ChristinaM New Member

It takes two to dance. Many of these 'deserving citizens' took horrible care of themselves and/or their families and then they get sick as a direct result. Do they deserve to suffer? Who's to say...
  10. Interesting,

No doubt, with new healthcare proposal, it may help some access health insurance, but it certainly isn't going to be cheap. If you want to save money, check out TamPogo, they just announced wholesale access to all types of insurance in every state, so if you are looking to save money, join TamPogo for free to see how much you can save on all your health and nutrition needs.

Wealth Without Health is Worthless,
  11. getagrip

getagrip Gold Member

Check out ehealthinsurance.com - they have a lot of great insurance plans at low cost.
  12. fixaprob

fixaprob New Member

Health insurance, like other forms of insurance, is a form of collectivism by means of which people collectively pool their risk, in this case the risk of incurring medical expenses. The collective is usually publicly owned or else is organized on a non-profit basis for the members of the pool, though in some countries health insurance pools may also be managed by for-profit companies. It is sometimes used more broadly to include insurance covering disability or long-term nursing or custodial care needs. It may be provided through a government-sponsored social insurance program, or from private insurance companies. It may be purchased on a group basis (e.g., by a firm to cover its employees) or purchased by an individual. In each case, the covered groups or individuals pay premiums or taxes to help protect themselves from unexpected healthcare expenses. Similar benefits paying for medical expenses may also be provided through social welfare programs funded by the government.