Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum.

Discussion in 'General Advice' started by New WAHM, Aug 22, 2012.

1. New WAHM

New WAHM New Member

Hi, I have recently switched jobs and am now making less. I am looking for a way to supplement my income, and eventually replace it. I would love to stay at home with the kids. Any legitimate suggestions?
  2. KB24

KB24 Member

Hi welcome to the forum!.. There are many ways that you can make money.. what are you good at? Can you write? Build sites? read as much as you can here or other forums.. stick with one method and master it..
  3. Miss B

Miss B New Member

Hey. I'm new as well and am in the same position as you are. Have you been able to find anything yet? I am always looking for ways to make money online. I've heard that you can make pretty good money selling things on ebay, and Chris' ideas are good. I have often thought about writing a book and publishing it online but where to get started!? what do you like doing? I sell crochet things on ebay which is not alot but its something! I think sticking with one idea is a good idea, at least until you know if it works or not.
  4. payment proof

payment proof Active Member

Welcome to the forum New WAHM and Miss B. :)

There are lots of ways to make money online. I've always focused on free ways to do it.

Good luck to both of you and welcome to the forum. :)
  5. happywife

happywife Gold Member

Starting with something that you already know about and enjoy is always a good idea. Putting that knowledge and interest into an online business is not as hard as you may think. It can be very confusing getting started, but if you follow a proven path, you'll have a much better chance at success.

Miss B mentioned that she sells crochet stuff on ebay. Let me paint you a picture of the possibilities. Let's say Miss B loves to crochet and has been doing it for years. She knows and understands the terminology and gets great pleasure out of creating cute and clever items for herself, her home, her family, her friends, charity, etc.

How can she turn this art into a business? She starts by deciding to create a website completely devoted to the subject of crochet. She'll do some research to determine what kind of searches people are using to find crochet information online. She'll then write information (content) on her website devoted specifically to those "search phrases" (called keywords) that people are looking for.

She uses her own voice, knowledge, and passion in her writing - it's easier than you think - she just writes like she's answering a question from a friend.

How does this turn into money for Miss B? Of course, she could develop her own crochet patterns and sell them right from her website. She could also offer whatever crochet stuff she is currently selling on ebay directly on her website. BUT, she can also make money from referring all kinds of crochet related products to her visitors and earn a commission on the sales generated from other stores (never having to buy, pack, or ship the products herself). That's called affiliate marketing!

If someone is looking for info on how to make a specific crochet item, they would naturally be interested in crochet hooks, crochet patterns, various types of yarn, and whatever other accoutrements go along with the art of crochet. Once Miss B has the visitors to her site, they can see other items she has available (either her own or an affiliate product) and say, "Hey, I need that too!"

This doesn't happen overnight. It's a lot of work up front, but if Mis B does it right, it will generate her a growing income for years to come.

Okay - end of story. Maybe crochet isn't "your" interest. What is? Apply the same concept to your particular interest and away you go.

I hope that helps New WAHM and Miss B understand the possibilities a bit better and anyone else who is wondering how they can get started in creating their own online business.

Blessings,
    Angie
    robinincarolina and Miss B like this.
  6. Miss B

Miss B New Member

Thanks Angie, you are very good at explaining things clearly! once you learn HOW to make an online business is ANY niche you can sell ANYTHING! i started by learning from an online coaching program which I found to be really awesome. But everyone learns different so it comes down to how do you need to learn it? videos, with someone there walking you through, go study at tech, webinars...theres many options. seek and ye shall find.
  7. Stephen Karanja

Stephen Karanja New Member

Hi New WAHAM,
    I can see you have an idea on working online. However, success comes not only in selling but knowing how to sell. Many people online do not know this last bit. You need to learn how the online marketing works first and then you will not need to sell to people but they will be buying from you all the same. In other words, the art of selling is not to sell. It is to add value by providing good advice and products that solve your niche problem. Learn how to do this from a mentor and you will be successful.

Stephen
    Miss B likes this.
  8. talfighel

talfighel Silver Member

Welcome to the forum. Nice to see you join us here today.

There are so many ways that you can start to make money online but one thing you do need to consider is that it make take you both time and money to really succeed.

One way that I recommend you get started with is either online network marketing or just regular affiliate programs.

Yes, there are other ways to earn money. I see in your signature that you are promoting CPA offers and that is another way to make money. I have done that in the past with good results.

From any opportunity that I mentioned above, find a good mentor and learn all you can from them.

One more thing....

Just know that you will probably have many bumps along the way and I am sure that you will have many days that you may feel like nothing is moving forward. What ever you do, never give up on your goals of staying at home full time with your kids.

Everyone who is doing well online right now has had started where you are today or worse.
    Miss B likes this.
  9. Miss B

Miss B New Member

two wonderful quotes i think are fitting...

"you dont have to see the whole staircase, you just have to take the first step"
    and
    "how can you discover new oceans if you never lose sight of the shore"
  10. Joey Xoto

Joey Xoto New Member

Hey there WAHM!

Sorry that your making less cash than you were at your old job to start with. There are several methods to making money online so the best thing to do to begin with is doing a simple Google search to see what kind of results you can bring back.

Secondly, when you do find the things you can do online, be careful no to become overwhelmed by the information; this is a common cause for failure in this industry. Look for one method that interests you; if you like writing, perhaps you can try monetize a blog? Or if you hate writing, think about trying the other methods... What I'm saying is evaluate the options and see which one you can see yourself doing.

I can't stress this enough - do NOT hop from one method to another; again this is a massive cause to losing your fight online. You need to pick one method, and stick to that for enough time to evaluate if it's worth your time. Don't just try something for 3 weeks, and because you don't see a result jump to another.

Here's some overview of what not to do:
    - Don't hop from one idea/method to another
    - Don't buy more than 1 program/system
    - Do not keep looking for "the wonder product" (by this, I mean don't keep your eyes open for new products that will make you money faster. Try one idea; and give it real time - remember, this is a business, too.).
    - Last and most important - don't give up

This is a business that rarely fails you, but is a business that we fail almost always. By this I mean that the program you buy, the method you buy etc; is not going to fail you. The only reason you can really FAIL online is by giving up. Everything else is a learning curve. Stick at it. I'm sure you can think of a certain mathematical genius of the past that failed numerous times before becoming the forefront of science at the time.

Hope this helps you friend.

Cheers
  11. There are hundreds of legitimate opportunities to make money from home. Your first decision is do you want to work from home as an employee or do you want to work for a company or business as a freelancer, or independent contractor, which means that you have your own business, but you receive payment from another company or companies, or whether you want to start your own business.

There are many ways that you can approach this, but if you are not sure, the best way to start is to work for a legitimate company first, and then start investigating the other numerous opportunities that are available to you. Once you work from home through an employer, you in a better position to find other alternatives.

Most people have customer service skills that they can extract from a variety of backgrounds, so you might consider working for Alpine Access. The company is a good one. Alpine is a customer service outsourcer for other Fortune 500 companies, so not only is it legitimate, it will be around for a while. In another thread I talked about the fact that Alpine was recently acquired by Sykes Enterprises for $150 million.

My favorite saying is that information is power!
  12. Theresa Culver

Theresa Culver New Member

Hi, I am new here too. I have learned over time that the best way to make money on the internet is to build a list. I agree you cannot jump from one thing to another. That will get you no where. You need to stick with one thing and get really good at it all the while building your list. Find a way to start building your list. There is a learning curve as there is to anything. Be patient and add to your skills every day. Invest in yourself. Buy training programs. I was blessed to find an honest person to work with who was more interested in seeing me succeed and that is another important thing...you need to have the desire to help people!
  13. tkyles1009

tkyles1009 Member

Welcome! :) Have you considered affiliate marketing through your own web site? Once you understand how it works and get you a site up and a list to sale to it's pretty exciting to make your income online.

All The best
  14. jan matson art

jan matson art New Member

Hi everyone,
    I'm new to this forum. It looks a great place to exchange ideas on making money while working in your favorite environment - home! No place like it!
    I'm an Australian artist and having been painting full time from home for the past 7 years or so. I have been selling online for nearly 4 years. I used to chase all the local art exhibitions as well as put them in galleries. Now I live in a small country town and walk up the street to the post office and post my paintings - so much more pleasant!

I started selling on ebay as an introduction into internet selling. Just small oil paintings on board which are easy to package and post. I have now branched out into other internet selling sites, but continue to sell on ebay.

I hope eventually to move away from paying other people fees and sell from my own web site, but that will take some time yet. The hardest part of selling online is of course, being found! So it's not as simple as it used to be marketing my paintings, but I love it!
  15. Jenny Writes

Jenny Writes New Member

Hello friend, I am also new to this website. My name is Jennifer, single mom to 4 kids that I homeschool in beautiful, sunny, Dominican Republic. I am originally from New York. I started my own business 7 years ago in marketing and it's become a social media managing company. If any of you are ever looking for social media help, I'm your person! I look forward to getting to know you all, as I am sure we all have a lot to offer one another in business.

-Jennifer
  16. Vishal P. Rao

Vishal P. Rao Administrator Staff Member

Welcome to the forum Jennifer :)
    Jenny Writes likes this.
  17. Jenny Writes

Jenny Writes New Member

Thanks Vishal, I surely enjoy interacting here.
  18. ariesunicorn

ariesunicorn New Member

Welcome! I am new here too. I always suggest that people follow their passion. If you like electronics, sell those. If you are into beauty/ skincare, sell that. MLM and network marketing is easy when you love what you are doing, and are backed by a product that works and there is a demand for. Do some research, ask questions here and make a decision that is right for you.
  19. happywife

happywife Gold Member

Hey Jan, pleased to meet you! I'm in Australia too. Whereabouts are you? I'm up in far north Queensland, near Cairns.

I love your work. I'm hopeless at art in almost any form, but I can certainly appreciate the talent of others. I've looked over some of your paintings on your site and they are quite lovely.

Yes, it can be challenging to get "found" online, but there is a definite way to do that, and then the sky will truly be the limit for you. I'm wishing you the very best for your continued success.

Blessings,
    Angie
  20. happywife

happywife Gold Member

Hi Jenny,

Nice to have you join us. I may have to take you up on that and get some social media lessons. :) That's probably one of my Achilles heels!

I look forward to picking up some gems from you in future.

Blessings,
    Angie