Hello from a newbie with a question

Discussion in 'General Advice' started by Sharon Green, May 25, 2014.

1. Sharon Green

Sharon Green New Member

Hello.. I'm new to this forum.. and well..new to any kind of network marketing forum. I've been with my MLM for almost a year now and while I have learned a lot.. I know I have barely skimmed the top of things so to speak!!
    So, while I am spending some time navigating around the forum, reading and learning some new things.. I do have one thing I'd like to throw out there to hopefully get some opinions and/or advice on.. I have been reading and learning about how to look for the "right people" to recruit onto your team or downline and not end up with a bunch of stagnate or inactive members on your team. But does anyone have advice to offer on team members that have joined under you, and they may makes sells and move personal volume of products, but they never seem interested in training, don't make efforts to build a team or downline under themselves and don't communicate or respond to your efforts of encouragement or training? Do you basically leave them alone and move on? Or continue to try and motivate them? Thanks!! :)
  2. A8ch

A8ch Gold Member

Welcome to the forum, Sharon.

Not everyone you recruit will have the same ambitions. Some will get involved simply because they want to use the products themselves. Others will be motivated by the income potential that comes from building a downline. If you recognize and accept that, it will be easier for you to build your business by focusing your efforts where it will help each group the most. Either way, you win!

Hermas
    Sharon Green likes this.
  3. Sharon Green

Sharon Green New Member

Thanks Hermas! I think I'm still so worried about failing my team as a leader. I know I have to remember that I cannot work their business for them, I can only help train them, then the rest is up to them. I know I have to get over it and stop feeling like the failure when a team member decides not to put forth the effort, but that seems to be my biggest problem right now. Thanks again for your reply!!! :)
  4. Just2EZ

Just2EZ Moderator

"Next!" is the way to look at them.
    "When the student is ready the master appears."
    Don't lose contact with them, keep in touch but move on to the ready and willing.
    Focus on the ones who are self motivated and help them first.
    You can't make anyone do anything, only show them how.
    If they don't "get it" then just say "Next!".
    payment proof and Sharon Green like this.
  5. Sharon Green

Sharon Green New Member

thank you!!! these two sentences "
    "When the student is ready the master appears."
    Don't lose contact with them, keep in touch but move on to the ready and willing." were exactly what I needed to hear!!!!
    payment proof and Just2EZ like this.
  6. newbie2pro

newbie2pro New Member

Confidence, understanding and patience are the three main rules I use myself. You can't help everyone, only those that want to learn. Keep in constant contact by offering as much help as you can. Make sure you motivate yourself before motivating others. You'll be fine and you'll find your business growing.
    Sharon Green likes this.
  7. Robin Bull

Robin Bull New Member

It could be that they are at a point where they really just don't have time to train or respond. Things happen in life. Just bless and release. If and when they are ready, they will return.
    Sharon Green likes this.
  8. talfighel

talfighel Silver Member

You will get a lot of people on you team who just pay the monthly fee and do nothing. You can guide them and follow up with them but most of them will never reply to you or do anything.

The secret to success with network marketing is to get new fresh members all the time.
    Sharon Green likes this.
  9. Sharon Green

Sharon Green New Member

Thank you for your reply!! that makes perfect sense!! I am working to get in that mind frame!! I see now that I felt like I was failing the ones that were doing nothing.. I am finally accepting that it is their choice.. I cannot work their business for them!!! Again, thanks for your reply!!! :)
    payment proof likes this.
  10. talfighel

talfighel Silver Member

Too many people just focus on the few that they brought in and want them to do things and succeed. They waste time with them so to speak.

From my experience, new members is the key. This should be your main focus.
    Sharon Green likes this.
  11. mountainmom5

mountainmom5 Gold Member

You have received great advice here! A great leader will create more leaders, but not everyone wants to become a leader. It is up to us to make sure there is plenty of good 'water and food' there but we can not make them eat or drink. ;)

It is a hard lesson for me too, as I tend to take responsibility for my team members' success .....
    Sharon Green likes this.
  12. mellisalouise

mellisalouise New Member

I would continue to offer them support through email newsletters and remind them that they can always email or call to ask for advice and help if they decide they would like to boost their mlm business. I wouldn't be pushy and I also wouldn't quit trying to help them. Sometimes it takes people awhile to realize that they are sitting on a goldmine and once they do you will be right there for them like you always have been. Continue being a good leader even if it seems like your efforts aren't making a difference because some day you will find someone like you and your skills and support will make all the difference for them.
    Sharon Green likes this.
  13. zinsavage123

zinsavage123 New Member

The best thing to do in my opinion is stand by and be willing to support your team. Always help them and reach out like you mentioned. After that you have to keep it moving yourself. This niche isn't for everyone and you don't want to spend too much time if at all playing the convincing game. Keep it moving for the nay sayers.
    Sharon Green likes this.
  14. Robin Bull

Robin Bull New Member

If they are making sales...and doing it well, do they really need to attend the training unless maybe it's about a new product? Some people aren't interested in leading their own team.
    payment proof likes this.
  15. florbags

florbags Member

I understand your concern, Sharon.

I would suggest that you ask them straight away why they are not interested in learning and why they are not doing anything. Ask them what they truly feel. Tell them that you are willing to listen and assist. And don't forget to put a smiley face at the end of your message. :)

If they didn't reply on your first message, it's okay. Maybe they are just busy. Wait for 5-7 days for their reply before you send another message. If they still don't reply on your second message, don't bother them anymore and move on.

Hope this helps, Sharon. :)