hobbies

Discussion in 'Ideas' started by fireman5214, May 16, 2009.

1. fireman5214 New Member

What about being an in-home dealer for your favorite hobby, rc cars, model railroading etc and then selling them on ebay. I know alot of time stuf on ebay gets higher then retail with shipping and without shipping sometimes. Also dealers get discounted rates. I know some manufacturers like USA Trains requires you to submit a live picture of your business so that would not be able to work for you but some others do allow non-business people to do that.
  2. mountainmom5 Gold Member

My hubby is into rc planes and that is always a hot item on Ebay. If you can find good deals at yard sales, etc, then it is a great money maker but I never had much success with dropshipping for companies...
  3. Newbie Shield Gold Member

Hi Fireman,

Absolutely! Go with what you know and love - hobbies!

You'll be a natural. Your passion and knowledge will shine forth in your writing.

If you can't quite swing the "dealer" thing at first, you could at least start a site about RC cars or model trains. That's a general topic though. Try drilling down a bit and choose a sub-niche.

For example and depending upon what you know, your site might specialize in:

Trains of a certain size
    Train accessories
    Vintage Trains
    Fast RC cars
    Big RC trucks
    customizable rc cars
    rc police cars

etc...

That way you won't be competing head-on with the biggest fish in the pond.

Keep us posted,

~Newbie Shield~
  4. samda Member

Coin collection (I have around 200)
    Browsing

I dont remember any more....
  5. getagrip Gold Member

If you can get your inventory for a low enough cost to sell it at a profit, you could do very well. The other option would be to market these products as an eBay affiliate.
  6. computerincome New Member

Before i got a computer i used to buy and sell at auction houses. Buy from one auction place a van full of stuff and the next day sell across town at the other. That when well but i got sick of the traveling so i discovered on ebay sellers selling a space in shipping containers coming in from the uk (im in oz). I had a relative living in Britain track down rare british sports car parts and i set up an ebay business from home it really boomed and i have since passed it on to a family member. Good fun too. I work on the computer now (but i can hardly call it work) [IMG]
  7. connor_zen New Member

You really do have to go with what you know. I've tried selling outside of my area of expertise, and I get burned that way a lot more than stuff I'm familiar with.

Also, eBay's not the only good place these days. You might have to wait a little longer to sell your items, but Amazon Marketplace is a really good place to sell as well.
  8. jevmaks New Member

Did you tried TripleClicks for selling? Looks good place also.
  9. georgedolatli New Member

if you know what you're selling, it should be quite easy. Like dolls, vintage toys, even handicrafts that are useful around the house